The Rehearsal

The Last Chu for Mr. Romeo
 
 

This is dumb. Truly dumb. There’s no other feeling other than regret that gives Hoya proof how dumb Nam Woohyun is. And following what he suggested is the dumbest thing of all.

“Then Romeo kisses Juliet, gives her the light of life again to wake her up from her long, temporarily slumber. They live happily―Romeo? Kiss Juliet now.”

Hoya can only see the laying Bomi in a dumb.

Excuse me?

“Romeo, yes you, Lee Howon-ssi. Please do memorize the script before going on a practice, we can’t waste another time since the festival is soon.” Mrs. Han Seungyeon as the theater club’s teacher talks to Hoya with impatience. Hoya is looking back at her blankly. He doesn’t try to be rude or what, but for him this whole thing is totally dumb.

“Yah, Hoya!” And everybody knows how mad their teacher is when she starts calling her students with their own nickname. “We are on tight schedule, can you please process your slow mind a bit faster?” Mrs. Han looks unfriendly. “Kiss her. Now.”

Uhm,” Hoya clears his throat, trying to speak up. “Excuse me Han-ssaem, but didn’t Romeo and Juliet have different plot from Snow White?” He asks dryly as Woohyun snickers in a hush tone not far from him, something like ‘bad move, dude’ along the way. Hoya just gives his friend a glare, before takes a fast glance at the beautiful figure laying on the table. Wait, he means Bomi, she looks so calm and peaceful and like doesn’t bother anything around her―is she asleep?

“Break!” Mrs. Han yells loudly, it’s clear enough that she looks pretty annoyed with him. She leaves after saying they get to gather again 10 minutes later, and sending a pointy look at Hoya especially.

“Smooth, son!” Woohyun snickers again as passing by him, slapping his shoulder hard enough. Woohyun plays the role as Juliet’s father, which Hoya thinks it’s all conspiracy. Woohyun and Hoya themselves aren’t even the members of theatre club!

Sighing, Hoya takes a seat at the edge of the table. He is startled by a weak voice that comes behind him.

“I’m sorry.”

When he turns around, his eyes meet with a pair of innocent glassy eyes of Yoon Bomi—who is at the sitting position now. Hoya doesn’t know how to respond.

Uhm―”

“I know it’s my fault. Because of me, you’ve been dragged to this play when clearly it’s not your thing.” Bomi continues, her face shows regret and guilty.

Oh God.

“Hey, it’s not anyone’s fault, Bomi-ah. Don’t be too,” He wants to say ‘dramatic’ but he also knows that is not a good choice of word. “Over thinking.”

Her eyes stare at him for a long time, like searching for assurance in his. Hoya lets out a small smile, tries to assure her.

“But, but, y-you don’t want to kis,” Bomi pauses, her voice is gone and her face is all red instantly. It makes Hoya’s face to have the same color as hers; he blushes.

“N-no, that’s not what I mean.” They are trapped in unavoidable awkwardness. “I thought you’re asleep last time?” Oh wow, smart move, genius! Hoya curses his tangled mind at the urgent situation like this.

Really, Lee Howon? Must you bring that up now?!

Bomi smiles shyly. “I was asleep for a moment, but Han ssaem’s voice still could be heard in my dream.” She explains, and Hoya has no idea why he suddenly finds her explanation is adorable.

Wait!

Remember Howon-ah, that Nam-tard isn’t your cupid, so don’t listen to whatever crap he talks!

“And I heard you questioning this play’s plot too.”

“Oh? Well, I was confused. Although I’m not a big fan of classic love tales, I do know how Romeo and Juliet’s going.”

Bomi giggles. She sounds so happy and melodic and Hoya cringes when he barely hears some ‘click’ from a far. Obviously Woohyun is an obsessive, delusional fan of Ho-Mi.

“Chorong wrote the script.”

Hoya curses mentally.

“One night I heard she asked Woohyun over the phone how Romeo and Juliet ends.”

 

And that’s why.

 

Case closed.

*