8. Mark

Dreamworld (Oneshots)

"CAN YOU JUST LEAVE ME ALONE?!", Jr, your crush for three years pushed you away onto the ground. He had just broken up with his girlfriend and you were about to console him when he rejected your offer. 

 
Although you have always stick around with him for the past three years, you were totally unaware that he had no feelings for you at all. 
 
Scrubbing off the dirt that had gathered on your skirt, you stood up and held onto Jr's hands. 
 
"NO, there's no way I will leave you alone! I know that you are hurting badly inside and that's why I'm here for you! I'm here to hear you out!", you said to him nicely, but only to be flung away by him again. 
 
"______-SSI! PLEASE STOP IT! There's no point in you doing so!", he ran his fingers through his hair.
 
"Waeyo oppa? What did I do wrong? Why am I not allowed to care for you?"
 
"BECAUSE AH YEON-SSI BROKE UP WITH ME BECAUSE OF YOU!"
 
Your eyes widened at his words and you almost choked on your own saliva.
 
"Oppa..."
 
"STOP CALLING ME THAT!", he yelled at you.
 
"SHE TOLD ME THAT SHE HATED IT BECAUSE YOU KEPT STICKING AROUND ME! _____-ssi, when will you learn to wake up?"
 
One by one, the words all came stabbing into your heart. You sniffled and quickly wiped away the tears that were forming. 
 
Then, one last time, you tried to negotiate with him.
 
"But you said that you enjoy my company and you never told me that you dislike my presence..."
 
Jr took a deep breath and narrowed his eyes at you.
 
"Then let me make it clear to you once and for all. I HAVE NEVER LIKE YOU AND NEVER WILL I! So, PLEASE STAY AWAY FROM ME FROM NOW ON."
 
With that, he left you and stomped off angrily. 
 
You are all alone now. You felt as though the whole world doesn't want you anymore and you even lost confidence in yourself. Tears started streaming down your cheeks and it soon broke into loud cries.
 
However, the thing is that you were never aware that someone was actually watching you secretly from the back all along.
 
-
-
-
 
"Eomma, I'm back!", you told your mum and scooted off up to your bedroom as soon as you reached home.
 
Throwing your bag onto the ground, you sighed deeply as you laid back onto your bed. You were still showing disappointment over the fact that Jr had rejected you but it was then a 'bang' on your window snapped you out of those thoughts.
 
Getting off from your bed, you headed towards your window and drew your curtains aside. 
 
Staring in front of you was a RC (remote-controlled) helicopter and you soon looked up to meet the eyes of the owner of the aircraft, who was managing it from the window which was sitting directly opposite yours. 
 
He was Mark, your next door neighbour and your longtime childhood friend.
 
He played around with the controller in his hands and he made the helicopter fly right at the tip of your nose. Then, jerking his head at you, it seems as though he was telling you to check it out properly. 
 
You scrutinized the inside of the RC helicopter and a piece of paper then met your eyes.
 
'Someone signalled for SOS?', the note says. 
 
You let out a soft chuckle and scribbled something back onto it before gesturing him to fly the helicopter back. 
 
Shortly after he read your note, you saw him shutting his window and within a few minutes, he was there at your front door.
 
"Annyeong _______!", Mark waved his hand at you like a kid and you patted on his head to play along.
 
"So, where are we heading to now?", he asked. 
 
"Erm... I guess I will leave the decision to you?"
 
"Really? Then no regrets uh!"
 
-
-
-
 
MARK'S POV
 
She said to leave the decision to me, so I decided to bring her to the theme park. 
 
To me, the theme park is a place where you can really enjoy yourself. You get to shout and clear your mind off those irritating thoughts when you are on a ride. And that's why, I brought _____ here.
 
Earlier in the afternoon, I actually witnessed the commotion between Jr and her. I knew that _____ had liked Jr all these years as she would always share his news with me. I'm her neighbour so we actually grew up together since young. 
 
She must be crestfallen when that jerk rejected her just like that. I had the urge to run up towards her and to hold her into my arms when I saw her in that state, but at the same time, I was afraid of losing her. I was afraid that she might see nothing more than friendship between me and her.
 
Pushing those thoughts to the back of my mind, I turned and studied her peaceful expression now. _____ looked really excited to be here and I felt blessed just by seeing her smile. 
 
Without any further ado, I held her hand and pulled her along to one of the most thrilling rides.
 
-
-
-
 
"Mark, I'm scared", _____'s voice was shaking as she muttered to me softly. 
 
I held tight onto her hand and gave it a squeeze to reassure her that I will be around.
 
_____, don't you worry. You don't have to be scared because you have me. I will always be there to protect you. 
 
-
-
-
 
Initially, _____ was having trouble breathing properly midway through the ride but I looked at her affectionately. 
 
"Ahhhhhh!!!", I brought up her hands and led her to scream out loud to dismiss her fears for it. Doing as told, she heeded my advise and very soon, I could see her enjoying it along with me. 
 
The way her lips lifted upward. The way her one dimple crinkles. The way her teeth are perfectly aligned. The warm glow her happiness gives. Her smile is a ray of sunshine, and I am sunburn.
 
-
-
-
 
YOUR POV
 
Soon, the ride came to an end. 
 
You tugged onto Mark's arm and pointed at one of the booth that captured your eyes.
 
"O, you want some?", he smiled at you.
 
Nodding your head happily, Mark decided to satisfy your request and he ran off to get you the cotton candy. 
 
As there was a long queue over there,  you decided to head over to the nearby benches to wait for him. 
 
Your eyes darted to Mark as he was still trying his best to make you smile with his cute expressions in the midst of queuing.
 
This guy is really something.
 
-
-
-
 
MARK'S POV
 
I still had my eyes laid on ____ as I was queuing. I just wanted to make sure that she was fine and besides that, I really want to help her in maintaining that radiant smile of hers.
 
Have I ever mention before that I am always proud of her smile? It always shows the cute little dimple at the side of her cheek and to me, it is so striking that it was the only thing anyone ever commented on. But sadly to say, her Jr barely noticed it.
 
Watching her up close feels like I'm dreaming. I could drink in her words like a strong wine and enjoy feeling tipsy. I liked watching her as though she had the stars in her hands and soft petals at her feet. 
 
I wanted badly to wrap her in my arms and never let go. But first things first, I have to confess my feelings for her but my nerves were so bad that I shook at just the thought.
 
Just as it was about to reach my turn to purchase the cotton candy, I noticed two figures kissing from afar and my eyes widened at the sight. 
 
No, it can't be.
 
No _____, don't turn. Don't turn your head!
 
"Sir? How many cotton candy would you like?", the sales assistant then waved for my attention.
 
I took a glance at ____ and then back at her.
 
"Erm, sorry!", I replied quickly before dashing off.
 
-
-
-
 
YOUR POV
 
It's Mark's turn next.
 
You stood up from your seat and was about to head to him when you happened to notice two familiar figures making out as you turned. 
 
"J-"
 
Right before you could say out his name, someone pulled onto your arm and brought you into his embrace. 
 
"Don't look and don't even think about it. You have me", the person whispered into your ear and continue to hug you tightly.
 
"Mark..."
 
-
-
-
 
It have been days since you witnessed Jr and Ah Yeon reconciling and kissing at the theme park but something else was troubling you right now. 
 
Ever since that day after Mark had walked you home, you never saw him nor speak to him. You told him that you wanted to take the time to calm down initially and when you were finally done so, you no longer saw him around. 
 
You walked towards your window and  drew the curtains aside once again.
 
Mark's windows were still tightly shut which left you really worried. Finally, you decided to head over to his house to check up on him. 
 
Papa Tuan was the one who came to the door and he smiled brightly when he saw that it was you.
 
"Hello, ______. What brings you here today?", he asked.
 
"Erm Papa Tuan, I'm actually here to see Mark. I noticed that his windows are always shut and I'm wondering if he has been feeling unwell for the past few days...", you explained while playing around with your fingers nervously. This was the first time ever you had shown concern to a guy other than Jr. 
 
However, Papa Tuan's face fell when he heard your words. And it was soon your turn when he replied you.
 
"Mark had left. He was scouted by JYP Entertainment to become their trainee a few weeks ago. He didn't mention anything to you?"
 
Your hands trembled and you could feel your entire body shaking now.
 
But biting into your lips, you managed to reply, "Ah... I see..."
 
You turned your back against him was about to leave when Papa Tuan called you back.
 
"Hold on ____! I remembered that Mark had wanted me to pass something to you!"
 
With that, Papa Tuan disappeared into the house and soon returned with a box in his hands.
 
"There you go, sweetie."
 
With trembling hands, you opened the box slowly.
 
The RC helicopter. 
 
-
-
-
 
You locked yourself in your room right after you came back from Mark's house. 
 
In your hands, you were holding on to a letter that was folded neatly and placed inside the aircraft as usual. 
 
Taking a deep breath, you then opened it up and begin reading.
 
Annyeong ______! 
 
It's Mark here! Haha. 
 
(There was a huge gap between this sentence and the next.)
 
I know, the moment when you are reading this, you would probably have known that I had left. Sorry, I'm sorry that I didn't inform you beforehand. It's just that I didn't want to add on to your troubles. I knew that you were still feeling bad over some other matters and I want to bother you no more. Therefore, I chose to leave quietly and write to you instead. 
 
Besides that, there's also another reason. 
 
______, I realised that I have fell in love with you, so deeply that it pains me still to leave you just like this. I had always wanted to tell you so but I was scared. I was scared that it would ruin our friendship. I know, the moment when you are reading this, you would probably have known that I had left. Sorry, I'm sorry that I didn't inform you beforehand. It's just that I didn't want to add on to your troubles. I knew that you were still feeling bad over some other matters and I want to bother you no more. Therefore, I chose to leave quietly and write to you instead. 
 
But now, I finally made up my mind and have the guts to do so. I could no longer contain my feelings for you and I felt that it's the right time to let you know. It's alright if you doesn't feel the same for me. This is just one-sided and purely just me, wanting to let you know. Please do not let it pressurize you. All I wish for you to do is to love yourself more, live healthily and stay happy! 
 
And lastly, don't worry about me. I will take good care of myself. Till the next time! (:
 
Your best friend, neighbour and secret admirer, 
 
Mark Tuan Yi En
 
Red-hot tears ran down from your face as you finished reading the letter. You grasped hard onto it as you sank onto your knees. 
 
Mark, he loved me. He always did. 
 
And it was so stupid of me to have not realize it until now.
 
Picking up a pen from the table agitatedly, you scribbled something onto a fresh piece of paper and stuffed it back into the helicopter. 
 
Then, running towards your window, you played around with the controller and let the aircraft nestle nicely right outside Mark's window. 
 
I love you too, Mark. 
 
-
-
-
 
One year later, 
 
The morning sunlight shone brightly into your room, forcing you to wake up from your beauty sleep. 
 
As usual, you got up onto your feet and walked towards the window sheepishly. That became your everyday morning routine ever since that day. 
 
To check if Mark had returned.
 
Slowly, you lifted up the curtains and stared at the window opposite you. 
 
To your surprise, the helicopter isn't there at its usual spot today! 
 
You rubbed your eyes again to make sure that you weren't dreaming.
 
Someone must have retrieved it! 
 
You didn't even bother to change out of your pajamas and within a few seconds you were already heading out from your house.
 
But this time, you collided into someone along the way.
 
"Mianhae!", you apologized without even looking up but the person caught your arms.
 
"________", he called your name.
 
It was the same deep husky voice. The same one as Mark's.
 
Slowly, you lifted your head up to meet the person's gaze.
 
Indeed, he was Mark Tuan. 
 
Without any hesitation, he pulled you closer to him, wrapping his arms around you. His embrace was warm, and his big, strong arms seemed very protective when wrapped around your frail body. 
 
The world around you melted away as you squeezed him back, not wanting the moment to end.
 
"Mark, I miss you and I love you too...", you said while crying.
 
"I know. I heard your SOS", he kissed your forehead.
 
"Thank you for loving me, _____. I told you, you have me. You always had."