Not Meant To Be

Not Meant To Be

Chapter 1

 

Yuri looked out of the window, hoping to catch a glimpse of him but to her sorrow, she didn't see anyone there. She still remembered the day she had first met him and everything that had happened after that clearly. It felt like yesterday to her but she knew it was already a long time ago.

 

It had been half a year ago but Yuri could still vividly picture him in her head. Yuri was a happy and bubbly girl. She treated anyone she knew as a good friend and loved socializing. At the age of 21, she still lived with her parents but hated the idea of asking them for money when she was in need because she believe in independence.

 

Yuri looked around her surroundings and was clearly impressed by it. She was standing at a karaoke place called Seoul Nightlife with Chunja, the owner of the karaoke, next to her.

 

"So, what do you think?" Chunja asked.

 

"It looks nice but are you sure it's safe?" Yuri asked, uncertain.

 

"Don't worry, honey. I promise it's a very safe place to work in." Chunja replied.

 

Yuri had never worked as a hostess in a karaoke before and was quite interested as to what it was like. She was curious as to how it functioned and decided to work there for a few days for fun. She knew she couldn't work there for long because she didn't belong in that kind of environment but the curiosity got the better of her and she had agreed to give it a try. Chunja had explained that all Yuri had to do was keep the guests that picked her entertained.

 

"Why don't you go and get dressed." Chunja offered, leading her across to a room that was filled with about eight other girls that Yuri didn't know. Some of them stood up and introduced themselves to Yuri, giving her a friendly grin which warmed Yuri up from the nervousness that she was feeling.

 

"Your first day here?" A girl asked, as Yuri sat down next to her.

 

"Yeah." Yuri replied, "And I'm kind of nervous."

 

"Don't be." The girl replied, "All you have to do is play games and sing with the customer but occasionally, you get those that want you to drink all the time." The girl continued, as she scrunched up her rectangular-shaped face, "By the way, my names Eunkyu. What's yours?" She asked, as she held out her hand.

 

"My names Yuri." Yuri said, shaking the girls hand.

 

"Is that your real name?" Eunkyu asked.

 

"Yeah, it is." Yuri replied, "What's wrong?"

 

"Well, I suggests you make up another name because no one here uses her real name." Eunkyu replied.

 

Yuri looked at Eunkyu and thought carefully before saying, "Nice to meet you. My names Anna."

 

Eunkyu laughed at Yuri and said, "You think fast, girl. I like you already." The two of them quickly became friends.

 

"Are you girls all ready?" Chunja asked, appearing in the doorway, "The customers are already here and waiting."

 

All the girls quickly gathered themselves, followed by a stunned Yuri who didn't know what was going on.

 

"We are going to their room and they will pick whoever they want as the girl to accompany them for the night." Eunkyu explained.

 

When they got there, Yuri noticed at least thirty guys sitting there, all looking at the girls that had just arrived. Yuri saw a few of the guys pointing at her and talking amongst themselves. The next thing she knew, she was being pulled out by Chunja and was told to sit next to a guy that had been looking at her the time she set foot into the room.

 

Yuri remembered the night very well. She was asked to drink a lot and vomitted for the first time in her life from drinking alcohol but nevertheless, she did have fun but she knew that she would only work there for a week maximum because she disliked the idea of all those guys dribbling over her and touching her whenever they had the chance. One of the guys even kissed her on the mouth without her consent but Yuri couldn't do anything about it because she knew being a hostess at the karaoke meant that she did have to sacrifice a bit of her flesh.

 

Yuri was planning to rest for a week before going back to work again, but only five days after she worked, Chunja had called her up and told her that the guys she hosted the last time booked her for tonight again, and was asked to go over. Yuri reluctantly agreed and got dressed with some makeup on before heading out.

 

When Yuri and all the girls proceeded to the room this time, she only saw eight guys there and the guy that she hosted the last time wasn't among them. She wondered who had booked her apart from him because she didn't remember talking to any that was sitting there at the moment. This time, Yuri was picked by a guy who told her to sit next to his friend. She greeted him and he had introduced himself as Kim Jaejoong. Yuri had more fun that night and she actually talked to all the other guys because they had come to chat with her but they didn't stay for long with her because they had their own girl to play with and left her alone with Jaejoong.

 

"Hey, how about I drink a full cup of alcohol if I lose this game but if you lose, you have to give me your number?" Jaejoong asked, grinning childishly at her.

 

"Okay." Yuri replied, jumping up and down. She liked the prospect of this kind of dare and she was determined to win.

 

"I win." Jaejoong laughed, as he smiled at her, "But I don't have my phone so can you just put your number in this phone?" Jaejoong asked, as he handed Yuri a iphone.

 

Yuri pouted at him and punched her number into the mobile before giving it back.

 

To Yuri's surprised, Jaejoong left early and she was left in the room to do whatever she liked. He had promised to call her sometimes later to catch up.

 

Yuri was enjoying herself to the music when one of the guys came up to her and asked her for a game. She looked at the guy and wondered why she didn't noticed that there was another handsome guy apart from Jaejoong.

 

The guy looked at her and said, "My names Luhan. Xi Luhan. What's yours?"

 

"Anna." Yuri replied, as she shook Luhan's hand. She would have liked him more if she didn't meet him in such a place. She might have considered him a friend also if she had met him elsewhere but she knew that all the guys that came there to play were playboys and couldn't be trusted.