It's Friday the 13th

FriDATE The Thirteenth

 

FriDate the 13th

October 23, 2011

FrenchSha

 

 

“I. did not kill. anybody!” Olly acted like anabout-to-get-butchered pig. She was out of control. All the while she was exaggeratedly making a scene, I was extremely calm and collected. Well, someone had to be.

 

 “Can we talk to your manager?” I asked courteously, trying to hide the humiliation I’ve felt. Good heavens, why me?

 

I was surprised when I saw a familiar face walking towards our way. It was my Godfather, Ninong Pablo, daddy’s best buddy from college. He was themanager of that resto. I greeted him and placed a polite peck on his cheeks.

 

“Hija, is everything alright?”

 

I parted my lips, about to verbalize my thoughts whenOlly stole my role and decided to do the talking.Ninong listened intently as she detailed him everything from the time we got into the taxi and the moment I had nothing to pay the bill. She wasn’t talking too fast. Instead, she was speaking too straight I didn’t even hear her breathe! She stopped and gasped large amounts of air.

 

 “That’s the whole truth Your Highness. General. Commander. Officer.” Struggling to regain herself.

 

Ninong looked at me and all I was able to say was, “Yeah. What she said.”

 

He volunteered to pay the amount we owed the restaurant. He asked for the chit so he might be able to sign it. We peeked at the piece of paper like a chef peeked into its pot. I noticed the red inked writing beside the label date. August 13, 2010. Light bulb!

 

“Now I know why we’ve got into this mess.” I whispered to Olly who was just standing beside me. She was so unaware of my newly found idea.

 

“Today is Friday the Thirteenth!” Oops. I said that too loud. Everybody in the room stared at us, including Ninong Pablo. We quickly thanked him and waved goodbye.

 

Thanks to Ninong, we were able to walk past through the lady waiter who gave us the harsh look. But good things don’t last. Accidentally, the dishwasher carrying a basin full of dirty water, plates and even leftover foods, stumbled, splattering its contents all over us. Bullets of ice-cold water sipped down our dresses. The noodles became the new strands of our hair.  Rice dregs turn out to be glitters on our mane and even our outfits.

 

“It’s. Oh. Kay.” I dismissed her, saying the words under gritted teeth. And the walk of pride became a walk of shame.