Uh-Oh!

FriDATE The Thirteenth

 

FriDate the 13th

October 23, 2011

FrenchSha

 

 

We trailed behind two couples who just entered the resto. We tip-toed as we set-foot in.  The chandeliers hanged gracefully in the middle of the room. Its luster gave a glittery reflection over, more or less, fifty heads who were enjoying their delightful dinner. They were entertained by a band. A five man band dressed in expensive black tuxedos. Their undeniable grandeur was accentuated by their golden wind instruments with a black grand piano that lay lazily at the center of the stage. They played Can’t Take My Eyes Off Of You by Frankie Valli with a jazz twist and the song suited the ambience of the room.

 

“Where has this place been, all my life?”

 

Under different circumstances, I might have walked around the place like I owned it. But Trisha didn’t know we were there so we had to stay under the radar.

 

A young dark-haired waiter escorted them towards their table, just in front of the stage where the singer was standing. We managed to sneak to the table distantly opposite to theirs – near enough to snoop but rather far to get noticed. Olly and I were seated side by side – adequately close to be able to hide behind the menu book that was handed to us a minute after we were settled, in case we arouse suspicions. She pointed to a lot of THESE and THATs which made me think she was ordering for the both of us.

 

“How about you Doris? Do you want me to order for you too?” HUWAT?! My eyes grew big but I recovered fast.

 

“I’ll just have an orange juice.” I answered politely.

 

He left shortly after. We fixed our eyes again to Trisha and Richie who were now served with their appetizer – mushroom soup topped with cube – sliced French toast. I knew because we set and paid for everything. Lucky nerd.

 

I was sitting with an animal. Lessons from our Etiquette and Fine Dining class flew out the window once the food was placed on our table. But aside from Olly acting like a hungry tiger eagerly munching its limited edition prey, nothing seemed to be out of the ordinary during dinner. Scratch that! Olly – eating as if there’s no tomorrow, is a day-to-day event. Good thing this story is written in my point of view.

 

My stomach complained. Doris, feed me. Feed me now. I extended my hand to reach the last slice of heaven torte that Olly had been eyeing on. She pushed my hand away when I spooned a portion of the dessert left. She already finished six different dishes, would it hurt to share?

 

“Olly. What did you do that for?” I massaged the back of my palm and pouted to win her sympathy. But when it comes to the matters of the stomach, there is no family, there is no friend.

 

“Lay a finger on my torte and you’ll be found floating on Panay river.” She even narrowed her eyes to emphasize her threat. But it didn’t give me a scare. Ok fine, a little.

 

I diverted my attention away from her to focus on the real reason we were there in the first place. The two got up their chairs so we had to move faster. I signaled the waiter for our bill. I ped baby Chanel to bring out my wallet only to realize it wasn’t there! I panicked. I dug deeper but the only thing I found was my mobile phone. Then snap! I remembered. Olly and I hurried to get out the taxi. I wasn’t able to double check if I have placed my wallet back my bag. I’ve probably left it there.

 

I showed my dear friend our secret smile. The one that says, Uh-oh, we are in a big trouble. She got the hidden message and it eventually made my confident partner grew timid. 

 

A/N: Merry Christmas everyone!