2/5

Personal Preference
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

As Jaejoong started working on the new project he tried to focus on designing something expressive to the CEO and the other board directors and to beat Yesung. He grins with the thought of winning over him and that gives him a push to work harder.

And to impress his boss is an idea that makes his lips stretch into a warm smile. It had been a while since he had someone to think of in that way. Although he knows for sure that the man would never be interested in him in the way he his. And he has no idea what are the man's thought of him after what he heard in the restaurant. He just wants Monday to come faster so he would have his chance to see his boss to clarify the situation and all what he hope is not to see any disgusted look on the CEO's handsome features.

He sighed going back to work on his laptop trying to focus between all the noises around him hoping nothing will hit his head. This project is really important to him. He has to take the CREDIT and win with the best design.

Although he's new in Jung enterprise he had been given the chance to compete against Yesung. One of the two designs will be the one that the CEO himself and the BOARD OF DIRECTORS chose to start the work on. And this is a big opportunity for him to build his reputation away from what he had in Choi's corps.

 

 

"Jaejoong-ah." Boram called after she sat next to him.

"Please don't talk to me." He responded trying to ignore her.

"But-

"I feel like my heart is black towards you. That there is something sitting on my chest when you pop in my mind. So until tomorrow comes and I figure if my boss hate me or not I'll just ignore you."

Her baby faced features went sad at the answer. But she knows that he had every right to do so especially that he just asked for some time to forget about her stupid incident.

 

 

"My heart!"

It almost came out from his lips as a whisper but it captured everyone's attention in the living room.

"Hyung!" Jaejoong ran toward Seunghyun as he witnessed what happened while the others stared from afar fearing of what will happen next

Minutes ago Heechul and Junhyung were playing with the brick they were still keeping. And they ignored everyone's pleads to throw it out and quit playing. And as a result it hit Seunghyun's chest who was just entering the living room causing him to fall in the floor.

 

 

"Yah! Just breathe." Jaejoong patted his chest with his palm

"I can't." He shook his head trying to breath but it didn't Work.

"Woah you two! You lost your mind? If we lost Seunghyun we lose the MONEY source." Said Boram after stepping closer to see Seunghyun's face turning completely red.

The two turned immediately to Seunghyun running to his side

"Hyung we're sorry." Junhyung pleaded looking down at them.

"Get out!" Jaejoong shouted at them looking with his fiery eyes. Causing the three to run away from him. Angry Jaejoong is something they don't want to deal with.

 

 

"Those brats." Jaejoong sighed as he sat behind Seunghyun holding him up so he would be able to breathe.

A few seconds later Seunghyun's face turned to its normal look as he breathed. He closed his eyes leaning the back of his head on Jaejoong's shoulder.

"You're okay?" Jaejoong laughed for a second before asking.

The businessman shook his head as a no, coughing again "It felt like I've been hit by a cannon ball"

 

.....

 

Next morning

Jaejoong parked his car on the spot he was given and he noticed that his boss's car is not there

'So he didn't come yet'

He walked to the company's entrance where he met the last person he wants to see, Yesung.

"You're late." The raven sarcastically stated while he kept walking next to Jaejoong

"So as you." He answered faking a smile just before he stopped to press the elevator's button.

 

 

A few seconds of silence passed as the two were waiting for the elevator to come. When Yesung turned his face he smiled and bowed his head

"Good morning sajangnim."

And then Jaejoong too turned to look at his boss who had just come and greeted Yesung back. He didn't know if he was supposed to act natural and ignore what happened last week or just apologize because the CEO looked normal as always. Maybe he should delay the apology thing till they're alone, he thought as he for sure didn't want Yesung to know about him.

He nodded his head for recognition to his boss and the other nodded back.

The three went inside the elevator once it stopped and each one of the three pressed different button 28,29,30.

 

Yesung is going before them, which mean he have time to clarify the situation and run to his office. Yunho won't be able to say anything, he's not supposed to say anything actually.

He took deep deep breath when Yesung left and the doors closed again. He looked at the CEO's face for a moment earning his attention as he waited for Jaejoong to talk, but he didn't.

"Jaejoong-ssi, something wrong?"

He sighed before biting his lower lip. He tried to smile to soothe his feelings but he couldn't.

"I just- about last week in the restaurant- my friend was-

The CEO nodded as he knew what the designing manager wanted to explain. But there was nothing for him to understand and he has no right to give a judgment about something that is supposedly to be natural.

"Jaejoong-ssi I don't care about your personal matters. Please focus on the project, Yesung-ssi seems to take the competition with you very serious."

Jaejoong only nodded with a part of him feeling relieved that he’s past this situation and a part of him still wants to explain himself.

 

…..

 

During his lunch break Jaejoong went to have his meal with his secretary Jiyeon and two co-workers from the department he was managing.

For the first time in a while he was more than happy to share time with his co-workers. Because in his previous work place Jiyeon was his only ally while everyone else was against him being there.

 

 

Jaejoong and Jiyeon stopped, waiting for the elevator to arrive. He rolled his eyes when he heard Yesung’s voice getting near to them. He didn’t want to turn and see him, but he had to when he heard his boss’s voice answering Yesung back. He bowed his head as recognition then entered the elevator before getting any response.

 

“Please hold the doors.”

Jaejoong’s fingers reached to hold the door when he heard someone shouting. Seconds later a tall man dressed in black suit entered smiling and it took him a second to recognize Jaejoong’s face.

 

“Oh hyung!” The tall man tapped on Jaejoong’s shoulder looking happy to see him.

Jaejoong turned as he narrowed his eyes “Siwon-ssi?” He smiled looking equally happy to see him

The man smacked Jaejoong’s back playfully “It’s not fair though. I call you hyung and you still use formalities.”

Jaejoong patted the tall man’s shoulder “Siwon.” He chuckled “It’s nice to see you.”

Siwon nodded his head to Jiyeon who bowed to him as they recognized each other from previous meetings.

Then he looked at the back where he spotted Yunho and Yesung and bowed to them smiling

“Yunho-ssi, you’re really lucky to have someone like Jaejoong to work in your company. Please take care of him he’s a hard worker.”

Yunho nodded as he looked at Jaejoong “Jaejoong-ssi. Everyone seems to like you and I can see why.”

Siwon patted Jaejoong’s back “Yes, he’s very good at what he do and he only delivers the best. Am I right Yesung-ssi?” He turned his gaze to Yesung, still smiling “The two of you went to the same university, along with Seunghyun.”

Yesung gave a dry laugh “That’s right. He was very popular back at the college days.”

The elevator stopped causing Siwon to bow to them “Well, have a nice day everyone. I wish to see you soon Jaejoong.” And gave a final pat before he goes off.

Just when the doors closed again Yesung went closer to Jaejoong smirking “He seems to like you a lot.”

Jaejoong gave a nod “Yeah, he’s a good guy.”

Yesung sighed when Jaejoong missed the point of what he means “I mean in- you know –" His lips curved into a smirk “Choi Siwon is gay.”

Jaejoong’s eyebrows arched at the new information “Oh!” His lips formed the O shape as soon as he heard Yesung’s statement. “I didn’t know he is.”

Yesung nodded “He seems to like you a lot in a different way.”

Jaejoong gave a wide smirk “That’s a good thing to hear. Maybe I can use that one day to win against you.”

Yesung sighed, still smirking “Just like you always do Jaejoong-ssi” he bowed smirking before he left the elevator “Have a nice day Yunho-ssi.”

Jaejoong bit his lower lip just when he remembered his boss’s existence then turned to him smiling

“N-no I’m not. I don’t, honestly. I was just teasing him.”

The CEO only laughed and pointed at the elevator’s door when it opened again. “I know you were Jaejoong-ssi. Or else I would be very disappointed in you.”

The CEO sighed when he was alone in the elevator.

‘He’s indeed something’

He chuckled at the thought, then sighed

Even before Yesung could mention it he understood Siwon’s actions and the tone, when he was speaking about Jaejoong.

And that annoyed him very much for unknown reasons.

Siwon was flirting with Jaejoong. And he could tell that Jaejoong noticed the way Siwon was addressing him and how he talked to him. And he felt relieved that Jaejoong pretended not to notice. It means he’s not interested in Siwon right?

 

…..

 

He fished his phone from the table just after he finished his tie. The number was new on his phone that made him narrow his eyes as he answered the call

“Hello?” His deep voice came out still feeling weird that he would get a call early in the morning from a stranger.

He heard a deep sigh from the other line “It’s me sajangnim. I’m sorry for calling too early.”

His eyebrows went up and so did his bow shaped lips when he knew the ID of the caller

 “Jaejoong-ssi? Is there something wrong?”

“About the project presentation I was supposed to give it today.”

He walked to his apartment entrance taking his car keys in the other hand “What about it?”

A loud sneeze answered Yunho before Jaejoong could.  manage to say anything. He sighed shaking his head with an amused smile

“You caught a cold didn’t you? I thought you would when I saw you walking under the rain and eating ice cream yesterday.”

“Y-you saw that? Ugh how stupid I looked in front of my boss.”

He nodded as if Jaejoong is looking at him “No you looked like a kid who needed some instruction on what are the things that shouldn’t be done.”

He heard another sigh after a few seconds of silence “Anyway, I called you because I thought you would be on your way to work and none of my team members are answering my phone calls… it’s something they think I would scold them about. I would appreciate it if you told my assistant to come to my house. I need to give her the final copy of the project.”

The CEO tilts his head as he closed the car door after he sat behind the wheel “You’re not going to present it yourself?”

“I can’t come today. I barely managed to stand under the shower to warm my body. And I won’t give Yesung the chance to think that I didn’t finish my job.”

Yunho shook his head “Some friendship the two of you got.”

“I’m really sorry but I need her to come so please don’t forget.”

The businessman smiled at 'the way' Jaejoong used to give his request

“Jaejoong-ssi is it because you’re sick or you become more like a spoiled kid on the phone?”

“No, it’s because I’m on the phone. It makes me feel more comfortable to talk to you since I can't see your face."

"Is that so?" He mumbled smiling "then would you please send me your address so I can come to take your project?"

"What? No please I already feel uncomfortable for calling you and now you want to come. Please don't."

"I'm now getting in my car Jaejoong-ssi and it’s a bit too early for work. So, either you send me your address or Yesung's-ssi will enjoy his victory today because I'm not going to send anyone to you."

The CEO could imagine the manager's pout at the moment he heard his sigh "yes boss."

 

It only took him 15 minute to get to Jaejoong’s house but before he gets out of his car he got another call that made him take longer time there.

 

Once Jaejoong saw the CEO’s car parking right in front of his house’s door he walked down the stairs to open the door.

He tried to smile but failed so he just bowed 90 degree to his boss as a ‘thank you’

He looked past Yunho’s shoulder when he saw where he has parked the car

"Please don't park your car there, there's no one in their room but it's still dangerous. That is the danger zone." Jaejoong sniffled rubbing his eyes from the tears.

"What? I don't get what you're saying." The CEO looked at him confused thinking that the fever might have affected Jaejoong’s brain.

Jaejoong sniffled again waving his hand in front of the CEO "that's okay, you'll get it when you get your car destroyed."

The CEO narrowed his eyes clearly confused with what Jaejoong’s been saying "I think you need more rest Jaejoong-ssi you don't look fine to me."

Jaejoong stretched his arm handing the brown envelope to Yunho "I'm really sorry that I made you come all the way here but since you insisted” Then shrugged his shoulders carelessly making Yunho smile in response “who am I to say no to my boss."

Yunho took the envelop and waved it in front Jaejoong "Are you sure you don’t want to present this by yourself?"

"No, Jiyeon-ssi knows everything so she'll be able to explain it to Yoseob-ssi. I will probably spread my germs if I went there."

"Just when I was parking my car Yesung-ssi called. From what I figured they needed more time so I assumed that both of you could use a few more days. Now, I don't think I have to give this to your department." He handed the envelope back to Jaejoong “I don’t know why you people delay everything for the last minute.”

“You could’ve just called instead of coming out.” The manager muttered as he sniffled again

“I needed to see how bad your condition is.” The CEO simply answered

“I’m going to be okay.”

Yunho peek his eyes to look past Jaejoong’s shoulder inside the house "Do you have someone inside to take care of you?"

Jaejoong shook his head "No, Hyunjoong just called, he said he'll come back in two hours. I'll just sleep till he comes."

The CEO frowned not liking the sound of another guy's presence.

Yunho found it really weird for him to get all these feelings whenever he senses the presence of another person around Jaejoong. He doesn’t like the feeling of competition for someone’s heart.

He had never been like this in his lifetime, these past few days he’s been acting like a stupid teenager whenever he saw Jaejoong. Luckily Jaejoong didn’t think of it as something else as he just thought Yunho was a person trying to be friendly with his workers.

Just when Jaejoong was going to lean on the doorframe his hand slipped down but his boss's reaction was fast as he held him between his arms. His eyes widen when he felt the hot temperature coming from Jaejoong's body. His hand touched Jaejoong's forehead causing the other to flinch from the cold hand that just touched his burning forehead.

He tried to struggle by pushing the other away at the awkward position but failed at the firm hold from his boss.

"Jaejoong-ssi you’re not fine. You’re hot."

Jaejoong chuckled "I appreciate hearing that from my boss."

Yunho sighed as he walked inside still holding Jaejoong "You know what I mean. You can't be left alone like this."

"I'm fine. Really, this is not the first time for me to be like this. You should've seen me when I got chickenpox last year. Everyone abandoned me for two weeks. Even Hyunjoong." He narrowed his eyes as he remembered and kept mumbling to himself “Which was weird because I always thought that he was the most kind and nice person I have ever met.”

Yunho ignored the mumblings about this Hyunjoong guy “Where is your room? You need to rest.”

Jaejoong pointed at the second room when they started walking at the stairs

“Have you taken any medicines?”

Jaejoong shook his head causing the CEO to frown at such a reckless behavior “Hyunjoong said that he will bring something for the fever with him.”

‘If that Hyunjoong was a decent person he wouldn’t have left you alone’

 

“You can’t sleep before taking a medicine.”

“I’ve been sleeping since yesterday.”

“And look at yourself now.”

To distract Jaejoong from sleeping Yunho looked around the room to find something to talk about.

He narrowed his eyes as he walked closer to a dollhouse that was placed on a table in the corner.

“You have a dollhouse?”

Jaejoong chuckled shaking his head “It’s not mine.”

“Then why do you have it?”

“Because it’s precious to me.”

Yunho arched an eyebrow “Precious? A dollhouse?”

“It was the first thing I ever designed and build.” He smiled “My father and me build it together.”

Yunho kept observing the dollhouse while Jaejoong kept talking about his precious memory

“When he knew that my mother was expecting a baby girl, he told me that it would be nice if we made her a dollhouse so she could play with it when she grows up.”

“It took us only two weeks to finish it, but-” He sighed “My mother had an accident and the baby couldn’t make it.”

Yunho looked at him sensing the hint of sadness in his voice “And your mother?”

“No, no.” Jaejoong chuckled “My mother was fine. But they didn’t get that depressed and they accepted their fate.”

“So you kept it?”

“Yes I took it. But a few months later my parents told me that they’ve been thinking of adopting a girl.”

“And they did. Jiwon, she was one year old when they brought her home. I was so happy when I saw her.” He laughed “I waited for her to get old enough to tell her that I built this dollhouse for her, my sister.”

“I was so stupid when I was young.” He bit his lower lip holding his laughs at himself “And I was so happy whenever I saw her playing with it.”

The CEO walked closer to him and sat on the edge of his bed “Why you took it back?”

“She gave it to me two years ago before she went abroad to study.” He nodded to himself “My mother sold the house after my father’s death and went with her. She didn’t want to lose it so she gave it back to me

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter