Pretense

CHARMED
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Love is a choice - not simply, or necessarily, a rational choice, but rather a willingness to be present to others without pretense or guile.

My phone vibrated at my pocket as I struggled to pull it on my way to the parking lot. I had a very long day and with Jae’s constantly teasing me and Junsu and Bom’s consistent questions, I was mentally exhausted as well.

As I slide my finger across the smooth screen of my phone, my heart pitched to see Jae’s name on the screen.

Jae (Text): Are you meeting me at the club?

I shook my head and bit back a smile.

Dara (Text): I told you I would.

He replied instantly.

Jae (Text): I never know with you.

Dara (Text): Ha! You’re hilarious. I’m predictable, Jae and you know it.

My phone beeped just as I was about to put it back into my pocket and I sighed again.

Jae (Text): I’ll see you later. I’ll be there at 5.

Dara (Text): Wait…Is that when you want me there? At 5?

Jae (Text): Yeah.

It was a one-word text message so I didn’t bother sending my reply. For me, that was an indicator of a conversation over. I unlocked my car and got inside then drove my way back to my place. I knew it was going to be a very long night for me. I wasn’t a night owl so this would really be a challenge for me. But then every time I think about my money problems, I knew I needed to do it no matter what. And I also like to spend more time with Jae.

I wasn’t sure exactly but there was something about him over the last few days. I found myself missing him when he wasn’t around me. I like to think he felt the same way because he’d made countless excuses to be near me. I also noticed that whenever I turned around, he was always there. It made me smile, to be honest.

He made me smile.

As I reached my apartment, my phone started vibrating again. I took it out and checked. Still Jae.

Jae (Text): Where are you?

Dara (Text): At home. Why?

Jae (Text): Can I come over?

My heart pitched again as I read his message and I frowned.

Why would he want to come here? I would be seeing him in a couple of hours – surely he could wait?

Dara (Text): I thought I was seeing you at 5?

While waiting, I started pacing in my living room. I was almost certain my heart was seconds from leaping out from my chest. I’m not scared of Jae but he was making me nervous.

My phone started ringing. I looked at my phone and saw his name. Butterflies took flight in my stomach. I debated on whether I’ll answer it or not, but then I knew I couldn’t do that to him. I’d been texting him just moments ago and he would know I’d ignored him if I didn’t answer.

“Uh, hi,” I said on the other line.

“Were you going to ignore my call?” he asked suspiciously.

“I was not!” I defended myself hotly.

“I know you, Angel,” he said. His voice was low and gruff. Honestly, it did funny things to my stomach.

“You really don’t, Jae.”

“Well, I want to,” he admitted. “Let me come over.”

“Uh, we’re about to work in 2 hours.”

“I know. I’ll drive us,” he said.

“I can drive myself. I have a car, you know,” I said.

He sighed. “I didn’t say you couldn’t drive yourself, Dara. I want to drive you and I want to have dinner with you before our shift starts. Let me come over.”

“Jae,” I sighed softly. “I need to get ready. I’ll just see you at work.”

“Don’t hang up on me, Dara,” he said as his tone sounded like a dangerous warning which I tried not to be intimidated by.

Without replying, I hung up my phone and turned it into silent mode. I thought for a moment about calling him back and apologizing because he was still my boss and I didn’t want to lose my job, but I changed my mind. Instead, I walked to the bathroom for a quick shower.

After scrubbing myself to death, I killed the water and wore a loose knitted sweater as I searched for clothes to wear for work. As I was busy looking, I loud fist banging on my front door echoed in my small space.

I cringed.

Who in the world was at my door?

I walked past my small living area and swung the door open. I gasped as Jae glared down at me.

“What the hell are you doing?” he growled, pushing me back away from the door. “Get inside!”

Huh? What is he up to now?

“Jae, what are you doing here?” I demanded. “How did you know where I lived?”

He rolled his eyes. “You filled out employment forms, Dara.”

Oh, yeah…right…stupid me.

He kicked the door closed behind us and looked at me angrily.

I frowned at his reaction. “Now what did I do?”

“What the are you doing answering your door in that?” he hissed as he pointed at my loose knitted sweater.

Oh. OH. OH My God! I’m half-!

I blushed and tried to stretch the knitted sweater down my legs but it as I stretched it, the neckline goes way down as well exposing more of my shoulder blades.

I smiled at him a bit, swallowed and mouthed ‘sorry’.

He hissed. He was irritated. “You didn’t know it was me. It could have been anyone on the other side of this door. What if their intentions weren’t good?”

I pursed my lips and shook my head. He was giving me crap and talking about creepers when he was the one who’d used the address I’d given to him unethically.

“Don’t get me started on creepers, Jae.”

His eyes darkened, if that was even possible, and he clenched his teeth as he stepped toward me.

“Get dressed. Now!” he hissed again.

“Fine! Simmer down,” I said. I walked towards my bedroom and locked the door.

“I bought dinner,” he said behind closed the door.

I thought about telling him that I wasn’t hungry but then I smelled it before I even closed my door so I knew it would be delicious. So, instead of saying no, I just walked straight to my closet again.

“Um, Jae, what should I wear tonight?” I yelled.

“It doesn’t matter.”

“What do you mean? I’m bartending tonight right? You said you wanted me to start on a slow night and it’s Monday,” I said. I waited for him to reply but he didn’t so I continued talking. “Monday’s are slow, aren’t they?

When he didn’t reply again, I unlocked my door and looked at him. He was standing outside, looking at me intensely.

“Jae?”

He looked away and then looked down at the paper bag he bought. “Where are your plates?”

“Thanks for ignoring my questions,” I growled under my breath.

He lifted his eyes back to me and I felt my heart skip a beat.

“You’ll start bartending when I think you can handle the ers that will hit on you,” he said.

“And when did I give you the impression that I couldn’t take care of myself?”

“I didn’t mean it that way, Dara,” he said as he struggled with words. “You’ll start bartending next Monday.”

I shook my head. “I asked for the job because I’m relying on tips, Jae. I don’t have the money or the time to dance around working behind the bar. Either you put me there or I have to find another bar that will.”

“Are you threatening to quit?” he asked. His voice was cold and I looked down. I felt low. He was my boss, after all. And, he was just being nice to me.

I sighed. “No. I just need to work, Jae. And I don’t want to quit because I like your club policy and I learned a lot. I also like getting to know you, not just as my boss but as my friend. I like our friendship.”

He looked torn. “Wear something conservative. If you have a nun clothing then that would do. You were hired to be an innocent tease.”

I blushed at his cutting remark. “Don’t worry, I’ll be a great innocent tease.”

“I know.”

He looked away from me and I could see that his jaw muscles were twitching. He looked frustrated but I couldn’t really tell for sure. This was one of the few tense moments with Jae that I had. It took us 3 days to this point and I was suddenly thankful he had no interest in me romantically because…he would destroy me, of that I was certain.

I lightened the mood.

“Um, what’s for dinner?” I asked.

“Noodles and rice,” he shrugged. “I didn’t know which you’d like best.”

“What do you prefer?” I asked him.

“Either.”

“Me too. I like both,” I murmured. “Want to share?”

His eyes narrowed. “I thought you didn’t share?”

“Well, duh, we’ll have our own plates, of course.”

He grinned and I wanted to praise myself for breaking the tension that was there a while ago.

“So where are the plates?”

I pointed at my small kitchen as I rolled my eyes.

He shook his head. “You’re such good host,” he sarcastically said as he went to the kitchen.

I beamed at him. “I’m happy you’ve noticed.”

“I notice everything about you, Angel,” Jae said as he searched for the plates.

I was so glad he didn’t notice the blush he just gave me with that sentence. I hated it when he say things that made my heart flutter because I knew he didn’t really mean it for me to take it seriously…but my goodness…I was freaking out. His words were making my heart dance.

I decided to join him in the kitchen and helped him fix the food he bought. Jae looked at me and raised his brow.<

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter