Impressions

CHARMED
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

First impressions are important, but everyone deserves a second chance.

I thought about the job – a lot – for a couple of days. I weighed the pros and cons of working in a club, But even today, on early Saturday morning, I was still undecided.

My phone rang.

“Hello?” I murmured still half-asleep.

“Dara, it’s Clara Lee.”

“Oh, hi, Clara.”

“You don’t need to come in until 5 p.m,” she said. I knew she was smiling on the other line and it annoyed me.

“But my shift was supposed to start a noon, Clara. I really need the job to earn,” I replied and I tried to keep my annoyance at bay.

“Well, I don’t need you today, maybe tonight, until closing – a few hours to clean,” she said. I could hear her vicious smile on the other line.

What a witch!

I was fuming. Not that I was picky but it wasn’t my job to clean up the place. I really hated it because I knew she was doing it intentionally. She knew I was desperate.

“See you later,” I said and hung up. I didn’t wait for her to reply. I was mad.

I looked at my clock and it was 8 in the morning. I knew she just opened the spa. What she did somehow resolved my issues with the job Junsu was offering. I picked up my phone again and texted him.

Me (Text): Is that club still looking for someone, Su?

The reply I got was instant.

Junsu (Text): Yeah. Want to check it out?

Me (Text): I do.

Junsu: Tonight?

Me (Text): Isn’t there an interview process I have to go through?

Junsu (Text): We’ll see. I’ll pick you up at 11 tonight. Be ready.

Me (Text): I can drive myself.

Junsu (Text): I’m driving, Dara. Be ready at 10 so we won’t be late.

Me (Text): Okay.

I tossed my phone in the bed. My heart was racing and I was a bit terrified. I hated clubs and crowds and noisy people. Not that I had any bad past about it. It wasn’t just my thing. I liked relaxation, peace and quiet. I never liked complication. But since I was so mad at my boss and her ‘bullying’ ways, I was desperate to get a new job and leave that witch for good.

Now I was wide awake with nothing to do. So I might as well get up and be productive. I ate breakfast, took a quick shower then clean my place for a bit. After some time, I took my phone and texted my best friend.

Me (Text): Gym?

Bom (Text): Uh…when?

Me (Text): Half an hour?

I hoped to God she would say yes. I was a bit anxious about going to the club tonight. I needed to settle my nerves and I knew a workout would do just that.

Bom (Text): I hate working out but I love you more so meet you there.

Me (Text): Oh Thank God! Great! See you!

I jumped off my couch and ran to my closet.

***

When I parked my car in the 21 Gym’s parking lot and scanned the area for Bom’s car, I noticed that she wasn't here yet so I sat back and relaxed for a bit. A part of me was nervous about the club thing but another part of me wanted to leave Clara Lee’s business. I wasn’t really looking forward on coming to work for her tonight.

On impulse, I took my phone out from my bag and dialed the Spa.

“Lee’s Spa, how may I help you?”

Oh, so the y witchy is manning the front desk.

“Hi Clara, It’s Dara Park,” I said with extra sweetness in my voice. I waited for her to speak again but she didn’t so that only made me even more furious. “I just want to let you know that I won’t be coming in tonight there.”

“Excuse me?” she scoffed.

“I believe you heard me, but I’ll repeat it again,” I said. I was smiling from ear-to-ear. “I won’t be coming in tonight. As a matter of fact, I won’t be in at all. I quit. So you can do the closing and cleaning since you’re a cheapo who doesn’t want to hire a maintenance staff.”

“How dare you! You can’t just quit on me, Dara,” she huffed.

“I can and I just did,” I said. “I’ll be expecting my last payment since you’re late again in paying out your employees.”

“Don’t use me as a reference. I won’t give you a good one,” she hissed on the other line.

“I wasn’t planning on it,” I said then I hung up. Just then, Bom’s car pulled up beside mine and I smiled at her.

I dropped my phone into my bag and stepped out of my car. The burst of adrenaline in my body after my phone conversation with my former boss was spiraling down a thousand miles an hour and my nerves are taking a hit.

“Hey, pretty!” Bom waved. “So glad you texted me. I had corn-fest with Junsu last night and I feel like I’ve gained 5 lbs. I hate gym but I think I need it now.”

“You’re overreacting, Bom.”

“I’m serious,” she said, giving me her warning glare.

“That’s ridiculous…I know you’re being serious but you’re ridiculous,” I laughed. Hanging out with my best friend was good distraction.

She rolled her eyes at me.

I took a deep breath and closed my eyes. Then as I opened it, realization hit me. I just quit my job without a sure job for back-up.

Oh My God! What the hell I’ve been thinking?

“So, Junsu tells me you’re going for the interview. He’s worried, you know. He thinks you’re backing out later,” Bom said as she looped her arm through mine.

“Tell him he doesn’t need to worry,” I said resolutely. “I’m never backing out on this one.”

Bom looked at me with surprised expression.

“Uh, why doesn’t he have to worry?”

I took a deep breath and looked up at the clear sky.

“I just quit my job, Bom.”

Bom squeeled. “You didn’t!”

Oh My God!

“Yes, I just did.”

Bom screamed, started jumping up and down beside me. She unhooked her arm on my elbow and did a cartwheel on the parking lot.

“Bom! Quit it!” I said, laughing at her ridiculous celebratory dance.

She linked her arm again with mine then used her other hand to squeeze my cheek.

“You quit the shack! I’m so happy for you! Come on, Dara! Celebrate with me. Let’s cartwheel our way to the gym.”

“Bom, quitting was seriously irresponsible. You do know that right?” I said as I swallowed my nerves but they came bubbling back to the surface. “I should have waited until I had the job at the club.”

“Oh, whatever,” she shrugged it off. “You’ll get it.”

“How do you know for sure?” I asked. I was fully aware that I sounded a bit mousey but I was really panicking with the impulsive things I did today.

“Because you’re amazing. I know you and you can do anything you set your mind to.”

I nodded, a bit relaxed. “You’re biased. But well, I’ve set my mind on working out today. So let’s go.”

I practically had to drag Bom inside because she was still elated with me quitting the Spa. She was so happy that she kept doing ridiculous things and babbling like crazy. I headed for the elliptical and left her for a while. I needed to blow off some steam before I literally set myself to flames.

I wasn’t sure what I was thinking when I quit. I wasn’t even sure if I was really thinking then. I never handled stress well and maybe that was why I was having a hard time in adjusting my new life.

Bom claimed the elliptical beside me.

“Seriously, Dara,” a giggle sounded from her lips. “Stop stressing about what happened and what will happen. Everything will work out just the way it’s supposed to. I know this is a start of something good for you.”

“You know I don’t believe in all that fate crap,” I said, between gasped breaths. “Life is life, Bom. As they say, happens. It’s just the way it is. My problems won’t solve by itself if I don’t work hard and do something. Fate won’t solve it for me. I have to act.”

“One day you’re going to be proven wrong. When that day comes, you’re going to apologize for your lack of faith in me,” she said.

I smirked. “Don’t hold your breath.”

“I won’t.” She assured as she plugged her ears with ear buds. “But you know, I have faith and I believe in fate.”

I didn’t answer back because I knew she wouldn’t hear me. I put my earbuds as well and continued working out. We spent more than an hour in the gym and it was refreshing. It felt good.

***

I decided to wear something that I considered y and club appropriate for my interview tonight. I wasn’t looking for attention but I didn’t want to look so out of place either that they won’t consider hiring me.

I needed this job so I needed to look good.

My phone buzzed and I took it. There was a text from Junsu.

Junsu (Text): Here.

Me (Text): Be right down.

I took my purse and rush

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter