Tempted

CHARMED
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Opportunity may knock only once, but temptation leans on the doorbell.

I opened my car door and threw my stuff inside. I started the car and let my car music blared. The music instantly calmed my nerves and it soothed me.

Once I reached the spa, I ran through the door and my boss Clara Lee glared at me from where she leaned against the front desk. Her clothes weren’t work appropriate if I’m being honest. I wanted to tell her about it but then I needed to shut up if I wanted to keep this job.

“You’re late, Dara. Again.”

“Sorry. So sorry. It’s only by 5 minutes,” I said breathing hard. “I drove as fast as I could from the University.”

“Not my problem. Just add a half hour to your time. You know the drill,” she said and shrugged as she walked to the door.

“Seriously? I mean…I’m only 5 minutes late,” I said. I tried not to ground my teeth in anger.

“It’s the rules here. You don’t like it, you leave,” she said in a high-pitched tone that made me cringe.

I didn’t say anything back as she left. For being the owner’s wife, she was one hell of . I knew she didn’t like me but for what reason – that I don’t know. Then again, the feeling was mutual.

I did my usual routine while at work. I cleaned, fixed and re-stocked everything. I even checked the appointments and such. It was hell because Clara was supposed to be working with the schedules. The spa wasn’t big. It brought it money, sure, but they paid like crap. I wasn’t really sure what she did the whole time she was at the front desk.

At 5 p.m., I was studying while manning the desk and attending to clients. It was irritating to do almost everything at the front desk and then ran back if there was a problem but I needed the money so I had no right to about it. I was about to doze off when the phone rang at the front desk.

“Darn,” I moaned. “Lee’s Spa.” I answered.

“What do you want from Starbucks?” Bom spoke loudly into the phone.

“Nothing. I’m good,” I answered. I closed my eyes and breathed in deep. I couldn’t even afford that. I reminded myself that I was so broke.

“You’re lying,” she snapped. “I’m getting you something you may as well choose now. You know I’ll end up picking something you don’t like.”

“Anything without caffeine. Hot chocolate, maybe. I need to be able to sleep,” I relented. “Please.”

“Sounds good! I’ll see you soon,” she answered in a cheerful voice and hung up.

I set the phone on the receiver and sat down. I really hoped she knew I couldn’t afford it. I don’t think I could pay her back. After my rent bill and other fees, I don’t think I could spare extra cash for anything less important.

I went back to work/studying and by almost 6 p.m. Bom hadn’t showed up yet with my drink. I was beginning to wonder if she forgot about it or if Junsu showed up instead. But that wouldn’t surprise me at all. That boy owned her heart.

I was going through my class notes when the bell rang and Bom walked through the door.

“The queen has arrived,” she said cheerfully.

I rolled my eyes as she stepped around the desk. She sat down next to me and sighed.

“I’m tired.”

She handed me the drink and I smiled unsurely.

“Bom, you know I can’t pay you back, right?” I murmured.

I hated this kind of discussion because I’d never done it before. I always paid her back for everything that she had brought me for the last few years. I hated feeling like I owed her or anyone else. It was horrible.

She looked at me with a frown.

“I haven’t gotten to spend an evening with you in almost a month. I miss my best friend and I chose to buy you a drink so just say thank you and drink it.”

I smiled at her. “Thank you.”

“Dara, you’re like a sister to me, okay? Stop worrying about little things,” she said then she pulled 2 boxes in her paper bag. “By the way, I bought us dinner too.”

I wanted to scold her for that as well but then I skipped lunch and I was really hungry.

“Looks delicious,” I said.

“I know.”

I watched as she pulled off the lid and set her food on the table then did mine.

“So how have you been?”

“I’ve been good.”

“How about the house? Any buyers?”

I hated discussing about it because it still hurt me to sell it. Then again, if I didn’t find any buyers soon the lawyer told me that the bank would foreclose it.

“Well, Auntie said there have been a people looking through but no one has made an offer yet,” I said sadly. “I don’t even think there’ll be bidding as what Auntie and the lawyer said. Honestly, I would take the 1st offer given to me.”

She hugged me with 1 arm and squeezed me sympathetically. “I know you would.”

“Don’t do that, Bom,” I said.

“Do what?” she scowled. “Like hug you?”

“No. Don’t look at me like that.”

“What look was I giving you?” she asked.

“The one that says “I feel bad for you’, “I said. “And don’t lie. I’ve seen that same look in a lot of people in the past few weeks than anyone should see in their lifetime.”

“I don’t feel bad for you nor do I pity you, Dara.”

I interrupted her. “My parents are dead, Bom. I’ve accepted that they’re not coming back to help me out with this mess. What I can’t accept though is the fact that I can barely keep my head above the water,” I murmured sadly. “I’m seriously drowning in my bills and I can’t even afford food…even this.” I pointed at my drink and food.

“I know that,” she said. H

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter