Chemistry

CHARMED
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Chemistry is you touching my mind, seducing it and then setting my body on fire.

Come Monday class, I was thoroughly drained. I’d spent all my weekend working with Jae at the club. We’d carried everything there was to stock and even my muscles were painful and strained.

This morning, Bom refused to go to the gym without me. She wanted to talk about Jae – not that I had anything to tell. So far, Jae seemed nice. He joked around and I’d seen him laugh a few times during our conversation. I simply couldn’t see him being the ‘violent man-’ that the people claimed him to be. Bom was even shocked when I told her all about it and I knew she was worried about me spending too much time with him alone.

The thought was poked from my mind as whiny voices protested something from the seats not far from behind me. I just rolled my eyes and rubbed my forehead. I was so not in the mood for bubble-gum chatter through the entire length of this class.

A dark figure slid into the seat next to me.

“Hi, Angel.”

I turned my head right away to the person beside me. He was grinning down at me. I pulled myself together and frowned.

“What are you doing in this class?”

“I told you I’d seen you around,” he said as his eyes were trained on my face and I looked behind me as realization set in.

“So you’re the reason why those ‘chimichangas’ are always sitting in the back?” I asked and shook my head. I was stunned. “When I applied to this University, I thought I’d left all the drama in high school.”

He smirked. “Sorry to disappoint but there’s always going to be drama. It’s life. You may not like it but you can’t avoid it.”

“Uh, thanks for that,” I grumbled. “You’re a ray of light at the end of a long dark tunnel.”

“Am I?” he asked. His voice was snippy and serious. I felt my stomach tighten and my eyes searched his. I immediately changed the subject.

“Um, so, what are you in this class for?” I asked.

“Pre-requisite to law,” he said as he slouched in the seat, getting comfortable.

My eyes widened. “Law?”

He nodded. “Yeah. Second course. I graduated Business Management 2 years ago and now I’m taking my pre-requisite to law.”

“Seriously?” I sounded doubtful and he looked over with an ‘I’m wounded expression’. “I mean, it’s not that I don’t think you can do it but you’re actually interested in law?”

“I am.”

“Why?”

He shrugged. “Someone’s got to be there to defend either my brother or my dad when their luck runs out.”

I frowned and felt the chills claim my body.

“So…you’re telling that you’re basing your career on something you think you’re family needs in the future?”

“Knowledge is power, Dara,” he quipped. “Haven’t you heard that before?”

My mouth was still hanging open by the time Professor Lee Soo Man waltzed into the class holding his coffee.

“Good morning, class.”

I was still looking at Jae as though he had 2 heads and he smirked, putting his hand on my chin and forced me to look at our professor.

“I know I’m good-looking but pay attention, Angel.”

I frowned and swatted his hand then turned to focus on Professor Lee Soo Man. I wanted to ignore Jae beside me but I couldn’t. His presence was distracting. And for the life of me, I couldn’t seem to get his reasoning for wanting a law degree out of my mind.

I wanted him to explain more. I was uneasy.

When the class ended, I gathered all my things and shoved it into my bag. I stood hurriedly as Jae stood with me.

“What are you doing now?”

I raised my brow. “Like a normal person, I’m going to eat.” I chuckled as I said those but he only gazed down at me. “It’s lunch time already.” I pointed at my watch.

“It is,” he said as he nodded, shoving his hands on his pockets. “Can I join you?”

I stiffened. “You want to join me for lunch?”

His jaw worked and I could see he was offended by my obvious surprise.

“Yeah.”

“Why? Don’t your types have some special place to eat lunch?” I asked.

He raised his brow. “What type am I exactly?”

“Well, you know, you’re obviously having the seniority compared to the rest of us. Don’t students like you have more, you know, nice place to eat lunch or…well, I haven’t seen you in lunch before this,” I sputtered like an idiot.

He sighed. “I thought you said you left all the drama in high school. This isn’t High School Musical, Angel. There’s no faction or status quo in college. You hang-out with everyone you like. I don’t normally eat here before but I like spending time with you. You’re normal. Is there a problem with that?”

I was feeling like a total douche for questioning him.

I took a step forward, bumping his shoulder with mine. I smiled. “No, not a problem at all.”

Then I started walking towards the University Cafeteria when I realized he hadn’t started following me. I turned around to look at him. I noticed some women behind him were glaring at me. I rolled my eyes.

“So, are you coming?” I asked, ignoring the glares.

Jae’s eyes were troubled but he nodded. When he was finally walking beside me, I bumped his side with mine.

“I know you’re my boss when working hours but we’re not working, so, I don’t need to be all formal with you,” I said, looking at him as he gazed down at me. “Tell me something about anything in your mind.”

I felt his tired eyes still on me. “What do you mean?”

I rolled my eyes at him. “This is what friends do, you know. Make small conversation on their way to lunch. So, tell me what makes me so normal?”

“You don’t like me,” he said after a long silence.

“Excuse me?” I sputtered. “I like you. I wouldn’t be walking with you now if I don’t like you.”

“I didn’t mean it that way.”

“Well, could you please elaborate,” I said as I shifted my bag on my shoulder and Jae sighed.

His hand moved to my shoulder and he slid it beneath my bag strap, his fingers hooking the material. I froze at the feel of his hand. I didn’t want him to touch my skin because I knew I would be on fire. But Jae didn’t seem affected as he pulled the strap from my arm then throwing my bag over his shoulder.

“Hey, I can carry my own bag.”

“I don’t mind.”

I glared at him, hating the way he affected me when it was more obvious I didn’t affect him in return.

“You’re changing the subject,” I said.

“No. You changed the subject,” he pointed out and I breathed.

“Fine. What did you mean when you said I don’t like you?”

“You treat me normal…like how you treat Junsu,” he said as he shrugged. “It’s nice for a change.”

“So, you like just being my friend, then?” I asked without thinking. When I realized what I just blurted out again, my cheeks turned red and I looked down at my shoes. The last thing I wanted Jae to misconstrue was that I’m interested in him but not in a friendly way.

“Yeah,” he nodded. “I’ve never had a girl friend before.”

“I see,” I sighed, turning into the cafeteria. “But you did have girlfriends right?”

He smirked and shook his head. “No.”

“What?” I frowned.

“Don’t look at me like that, Dara,” he scowled and I shook whatever facial

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter