Loss

CHARMED
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Loss is loss, and nothing is gained by calling it a nice name.

There 2 closed coffins sitting side by side in front of me. The weather is nice, but it's deceiving against the cold dark shadows lurking in my heart.

The UN Memorial Cemetery here in Busan City is gorgeous on a day like this. I know it's immaculate view is maintain diligently by the people who works here. Some of the headstones are polished and cleaned, unaffected by weather through the times, adorned with flowers by their respective visitors.

I'm standing still, not crying but deep down I know I should be.

I've run through this day a thousand times in my mind since I heard what happened. And stil, I couldn't accept it. It didn't seem real to me. It's like I'm in a horrible dream dying to wake up.

A week ago, they told me the bad news with pity in their eyes. And that same day, I had to identify my parents bodies because they were horrifically mutilated in the car accident. Somehow, seeing them in the mortuary, lifeless and unrecognizable, will forever burned in the back of my memory.

A week ago, I lost the 2 most important people in my life. I lost my parents.

Three days ago, my parents lawyer visited me and informed me that my parents were in financial disaster. Three days ago, I was forced to sell everything that my parents worked hard for - the house where I grew up, my mother's car, the furniture, - everything else. I didn't know that my parents were having financial troubles. I thought we were doing okay. But their lawyer told me that my parents re-mortgaged our house just to pay for my college.

Two days ago, I was furious. I was furious at them for leaving me with all this problems. I was furious with why they didn't tell me about the house and college fund.They said everything was fine then and that they could afford to send me to the most expensive university in South Korea - Eulji University. They'd let me believed that we were okay financially. They'd let me live a privileged life instead of tellng me, of educating me that we couldn't afford anything that extravagant. I was angry at myself because I didn't see the signs. I was angry because my parents set aside their life insurance just to give me everything.

Only one day ago, I organized the final touches of their funeral.

And today, I feel numb.

In one day everything in my life changed. Everything I have was ripped out from me including my loved ones and I was left alone to pick up the broken fragments of my life.

In one week, everything that I cherished and valued vanished.

I watched as the coffins were lowered into the ground, I didn't even say my farewell speech. I didn't even hear others speeches. Now I wished I did. I wished I'd heard everything - every beautiful words - that their friends have spoken about them. I wished I wasn't alone in this. I wished I had more family - a sibling or two. But the reality was that I'm completely alone now.

"Dara, the roses."

My mother's co-worker and closest friend Aunt Kim Young-Ae told me in hushed tone.

My fingertips were frozen, holding the roses tight, afraid to let it go. I didn't want to move. I didn't want to drop the flowers because I knew I had to finally accept everything - that my parents are officially gone.

"Dara," Aunt Kim Young-Ae spoke again. "Are you okay, my dear? Can I

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter