Just Like That

Lie

 

 

 

Chapter 10 – Just Like That

 

 

HER

 

I stood staring at him.

 

He was just leaning there against the fence. I thought it was one of the girls’ boyfriends waiting for her. Some of the girls were known to date older guys, even though it wasn’t allowed, and this was unfortunately not the first time I’d seen it happen. I walked over to tell him to stop loitering, but then I dropped my bag in shock, recognizing the face that was halfway hidden by the hood of his parka.

 

“Seokie?” the word escaped my lips without my permission. I just stared at him, transfixed. How was this possible? Was my mind playing tricks on me?

 

He looked up from his phone, smiling, and then his face froze as he saw me. We just stood there, staring at each other like someone had pressed pause on a drama scene.

 

He was wearing dark jeans and sneakers, and a gray hooded sweatshirt that was several sizes too big for him. Then, before my mind could register the movement, he bent down in front of me, picking up the bag with my students’ homework that I had dropped in my astonishment, and his hood fell back to reveal a red cap sitting backwards on his head. He stood up, smiling at me awkwardly, showing too many teeth, and my heart skipped a beat. Oh how I remembered that smile.

 

‘It’s really you…’

 

“Thank you…” I said, in shock, taking the bag from his hand. I wanted to reach out and touch him to make sure he was real.

 

“You look good, Sora.” His voice was quiet.

 

He’d used my name just like that. With no polite forms. Intimate. The way he used to. There was no one in my life who did that now, except my mom maybe, though she would usually follow it up with a “you silly girl” or some other sort of affectionate insult.

 

“I… uh… wha…” I stuttered, unable to think straight, “Min Soek… what on Earth…?”

 

I felt like such an idiot that I couldn’t even string a sentence together. But how are you supposed to react exactly, when the love of your life (whose heart you ripped to shreds) shows up unannounced at your workplace after years of absence?? I’m pretty sure there is no textbook answer for this situation.

 

“Aahh…” he said, tilting his head a little, which I knew was an embarrassed tick, “a little birdie told me you worked here…”

 

‘A little birdie? Could it be… Hyeon-ee? Are they still friends? But no, she doesn’t know my school name…’

 

He gave me a mysterious smile, seeming to enjoy my confusion, and shrugged.

 

“It doesn’t matter,” he said, “I just wanted to see for myself.”

 

I stood there silently, not knowing what to say.

 

HIM

 

She looked at me with those dark brown eyes and I could feel all my strength draining away. I’d tried to play it cool and joke around but I felt as if she could see right through me. How was it that, after all those years, it still made my pulse race to just have her look at me like that? I thought I’d moved on.

 

“Honestly, I couldn’t quite believe it when I heard. You always said you’d never ever live in Seoul.”

 

My words seemed to make her think about some place far away and she looked down, smiling. “I remember…” then she looked up and shrugged, “I guess England changed all that.”

 

I couldn’t take my eyes off her. Even in this awkward situation, she looked so poised and confident. She had her hair pulled back in a ponytail and wore a simple white dress, with a thin yellow cardigan thrown over her shoulders. She looked like she was going to Sunday brunch with her grandma, not coming back from teaching a bunch of rowdy 14 years olds.

 

“That’s right, you must be really good at English now, too.”

 

She laughed and nodded, “I’m an English teacher.”

 

“Oh!”

 

I must’ve looked really stupid, because she laughed again, a clear, lovely sound, covering with one hand.

 

“You should teach me then.”

 

“Sure” she said, casually, and then seemed sort of taken aback at her own words and looked slightly embarrassed, which was really cute.

 

“Are you doing anything now?” I asked, feeling bold from the way things were going, “I haven’t had dinner yet…”

 

“Ohhh…” she said, and my heart sank, “I already have plans today… sorry!”

 

She did look disappointed though. But I felt stupid for even thinking that it was gonna be that easy.

 

 

HER

 

“Oh, of course!” he said, pushing his cap a little backwards, “your boyfriend must be waiting for you at home. Heck, you’re probably married even!”

 

He laughed nervously and I saw him glance at my left hand. Why was he so nervous?

 

“I’m not even taken!” I shook my head and laughed. “I give night classes at the community center down the road once a week.”

 

I paused and looked at my watch, suddenly noticing it was much later than I thought. “Oh, actually, I better get going or I might be late…”

 

“Oh, wow.” He seemed shocked for some reason. “Hum… I guess I should let you go then.” He paused, looking away like he was thinking about something, before adding, “but we should definitely catch up sometime.”

 

“We should.” I smiled back.

 

“You’ll let me treat you for a meal? I can afford it now” he joked, with a childish smile which made me giggle. Indeed, he could probably afford to buy me the restaurant too.

 

I nodded and he gave me a relieved smile. We exchanged phone numbers quickly, and the goodbyes were rather rushed and awkward, but I had no choice, I really had to go.

 

 

HIM

 

She waved and left me watching her go as she walked down the street, each step taking her a little further away from me. I cursed myself later for not having offered to walk her there, but at the time I could only stare at her as she walked away. She turned around a few steps later and smiled, giving me another little wave, and I waved back, trying not to grin like an idiot. My heart was racing inside my chest and all I wanted to do was jump up and down and wave at her like a crazy person. But what if she turned around again?

 

I stood there staring at her until she was gone from my sight. Then I turned in the opposite direction and walked back home. The stupid grin never left my face the entire time.

 

HER

 

I couldn’t believe it. Just like that, he was back into my life. Playful and joking all the time, just like before. As if I had never been so cruel to him. As if all the heartbreak had been just a dream and we were nothing more than long-time friends who hadn’t seen each other in years. I took a deep breath to try and calm down the harried pace of heart, but it didn’t seem to do much good. I stole a quick glance back at him and he was still standing in that some spot, biting on his lip to hide a grin and staring at me.

 

I waved. He waved back. His grin got bigger.

 

Oh boy.

 

What had I gotten myself into?

 

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Sorry!!! It's kinda short... but hopefully the cuteness factor makes up for it??
I've been really busy recently so haven't had time to write much...
I'll try to get some more done this weekend!
Toodles!!