Too Close to the Fire

Dream On [DISCONTINUED]
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

3:00 AM

"I'm over here at the corner." The driver pulled over to the sidewalk and let the engine run. They both sat in silence. It was after a moment or two when she spoke. 

"Thanks for driving me home, Sehun-ssi." Chaerin unbuckled her seatbelt while avoiding his stare. When she got out of the black BMW, he rolled down the window. "Hey, Chaerin." he called out from the driver's seat. 

She stopped and turned around, she urged him to speak, because she just wanted to get inside her room and sleep. She was tired. Sehun opened his mouth, "I.. I hope you had a good time. And also, I'm sorry for what he did," he paused and gripped the steering wheel.

"I'll make sure you get your apology." Sehun searched for any brightness in her facial expression. But there wasn't any, instead, she put on a mask of her usual smile and said, "Drive safely. Good night Sehun-ssi." He stayed until her front door was closed shut and then he drove his way back home. 

Sehun gripped the wheel hard as his pissy attitude got the best of him.

"Kai, you are a ing idiot." he shook his head.

 

3 hours earlier.. // 12:00 AM

Even though the night was well into the darkness, the disco lights and vibrating beats ushered through Kim Hyoyeon's loft. People were still dancing, grinding, making out in every corner of the area. Kai swirled a glass of champaigne in his hands as he carefully watched Hyoyeon like a parent. There was a permanent smile on her glowing face as she swayed and jumped to the music.

He felt a presence appear next to him. He glanced down and saw a pair of pink heels. 

He smiled into his glass and his lips, savoring the sweet taste of the alcohol.

"Up for another dance?" he yelled over the music. Chaerin recalled what had happened the last time and crossed her arms, turning her head away from him. 

"Not likely." she said. Kai shrugged and finished his glass, "Whatever you say, why are you standing here next to me anyway?"

She blew her cheeks, "Don't know anyone else here besides, you, Sehun, and Hyoyeon." 

A couple walked past them and the taller guy wearing a black flannel and a snapback winked at Chaerin while the girl waved and said her name to which Chaerin smiled gleefully with a small greet.

Kai eyed the girl next to him as her face turned completely kind and polite. "Everybody seems to know you." Kai said. 

Chaerin closed her eyes and wondered why Kai wasn't dancing with anyone right now. From dance class, she could tell he was really famous with the girls. To her, he was just like any other guy at school. Considerable good looks, some sort of talent, wealth. So why was  she standing next to him right now? She could be calling a cab for home, but for some reason, she decided to stay. 

"So why aren't you dancing out there with some girl?" she took a glass of champaign that passed by on a tray. 

"Too busy watching over Hyo." he merely stated monotonously. What a protective boyfriend Hyoyeon has.. Bossy probably.

Kai took a quick glance at Chaerin. She seems bored. This is definetly not her type of place.

"And what's the reason you're not dancing with some guy out there?" Kai watched as she sipped the last of the alcohol.

"I don't dance with other people for my pleasure. And I'm wearing 5 inch heels if you hadn't noticed." her eyes flickered down to her feet as Kai's eyes followed. So that explains why she's the same height as me righ now.

"This is place isn't meant for you. You don't fit in." Kai stated bluntly.

She whipped her head towards him and put her glass down. "Excuse me? What are you trying to imply?" She crossed her arms in front of her. 

"I mean, look at you. The way you're dressed, way too professional for a night like this, and you're too uptight. Earlier I just asked you if you wanted to dance and you automatically said no. If another guy would ask you the same thing, you'd probably say no and sit on the makeout couch like a potato." Chaerin was at loss for words. No one, not even her sister, had spoken so openly, even analyzing her in such a way. 

"You're like an open book." he said after several moments when she didn't say anything. 

Then, with God and his immpecable timing, a guy with ashy bronze-blonde hair that was pushed back showing his shiny forehead came up to Chaerin. He wore a dark blue button up dress shirt that was ed a few buttons with black slacks. His big doe eyes invited Chaerin's into his attention. He stood next to her left so that she was squished in between Kai and him. 

Kai knew this person all too well. He tried to busy himself and not seem interested into his grand entrance by fixing his attention on Hyoyeon on the dance floor.

"You're Kim Chaerin, right?" the guy held out his hand. Chaerin didn't want to be rude, so she shook his head softly. His touch was gentle, and she felt a blush growing when he wouldn't stop staring into her eyes.

"Yeah, I'm her." she let go of his hand and looked away from his gaze. She felt quite uncomfortable under his stare. 

The guy found her shyness cute and decided to push further. "Well, I'm Lu, Luhan. Wanna dance?" he stuck out his elbow for her to take. Kai looked at the two and felt a curiosity grow inside of him. What was she going to do?

She stared at Lu

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter