J a e r i n

Dream On [DISCONTINUED]
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Beads of sweat trickled down the sides of her face and her forehead. Every time her legs took a fast stride across the field, her arms swished back and forth to keep the momentum going. She sensed another opponent gaining on her just a few feet behind. She looked up for a split second and saw she was nearing the opponent's goal.

"GO KIM! GO!" Ahra hollered from the other side.

Her heart was racing faster than her feet was. The other girl was gaining on her. Fast. The opponent tried to knock her off balance by ing her shin from behind, but Jaerin successfully dodged it and swerved the ball around the girl's body and darted straight ahead. 

By the time the ball was kicked into the very upper corner of the goal, Ahra was pumping her fists in the air and started to chant her friend's name shamelessly. The ref. blowed his whistle while the opponent's team groaned as they took the loss. 

Jaerin merely nodded as the opponent's team told her she did a good job and that she was terrific and all that. 

Ahra tossed a waterbottle to her while Jaerin gladly gulped half of it down. The blonde girl placed her hands on her hips looking like a proud mother. "Girl, you are seriously amazing." Ahra didn't see it when Jaerin shook her head quietly and drank the rest of the water. 

"I'm serious! The way you dodged that girl's attack like it was.. Like it was nothing! And when you scored the goal it was so--" Ahra had to pause to think of the correct word to use. Jaerin just looked at her weirdly. Ahra's face lit up and she snapped her fingers. "Brilliant, brilliant I tell you." 

"You sound like Rinjo whenever I solve his math problems." Jaerin recalled half-heartedly. She strapped off her shin guards and packed her things into her duffel bag. 

Ahra watched as her friend rushed to leave. "Another part time job?" she prompted in a more dreading way. Jaerin hummed in response. The blonde shook her head in disagreement. "Be safe!" Jaerin heard her friend holler right before she left the gymnasium. 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

"Kim, this one's for table 6."

"5 orders of caramel macchiatos!"

"Kim, a kid spilled his apple juice at table 3."

"Order up for table number 2."

Rushing here and there, her legs were about to give out any moment. She was constantly jogging lightly to the counter and to the tables of the customer's. Skillfully balancing trays filled with hot mugs and sweet-smelling pasteries on both arms, she delivered them each to the tables. 

"Enjoy."

"Careful, it's very hot."

"Here's a napkin, ahjussi."

"Thank you, please come again."

When she bowed for the nth time, she let out a breath and wiped her forehead. She forced herself to reach the counter where she could rest her head for a bit. Her co-worker, Xiumin, handed her a mop and bucket. Without having to look up, Jaerin grasped the mop and groaned inwardly. 

"Apple juice spill, table number three." Xiumin reminded her. Kim Minseok had been working at the same cafe as Jaerin since Sophomore year. He went by the name "Xiumin" because that's what everyone else called him. He had a fairly plump face, but his arms were outlined with toned muscles that were noticeable through the white cafe uniform. 

He was one of the lucky guys to be associated with Kim Jaerin. She didn't mind working with Xiumin, he was conservative and kind. And he never mistakened her for her twin. He had the skills of professional barista and a "part-time body builder" (as he recalled it).

"Thanks, Xiu." she mumbled and trudged over to attend the spill. 

When the last customer went out, Jaerin plopped herself onto the counter that had a high chair. "Tough day?" Xiumin questioned as he passed her a mug of strong coffee. 

She gave him a tired look. "Decaf, just how you like it." he reassured her as he untied his apron. Jaerin nodded, not having the energy to give even the smallest smile. She took the warm mug into the palm of her hands and took a sip. 

"Ahh. It's delicious." she her lips and drank some more. Xiumin locked the register and stuffed the keys into his pocket. "My pleasure. I'm gonna lock up, need a ride home?" the male kindly offered as he switched the kitchen lights off. Jaerin hummed, "Just a sec." She fished out her phone from her apron.

3 Unread Text Messages

Chae: I've picked up Jo-Jo, get home safe.

Ahra: We've made it, I'll text you a pic of the roster. 

1******009: Hi Kim Jaerin-ssi, this is Jung Daehyun. I asked my cousin for your number because I wanted to let you know that I've already placed an order for my new camara. You no longer need to repay me back. Anyways, I'll look forward to t

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter