D a e h y u n

Dream On [DISCONTINUED]
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

His neck was growing stiff from studying for 3 hours straight. He sighed as his hands reached the nape of his neck to massage it. The little lamp on his desk was the only one on in the house since his parents were still at work and his little sister was fast asleep.

He had just finished studying for his Calculus exam tomorrow and time seemed to pass by ever so quickly. It was already 11 o'clock.

His phone buzzed signaling he got a text message. He unlocked his phone and read the message.

I'll be late again tonight. Dinner should be in the fridge. 

- Eomma 

Daehyun rubbed his eyes and threw his phone on the mattress. It was the 6th time this month since his mother had been coming home late. Was she working too much? They were at a stable level even without him around. Daehyun pushed away the thought of his mother's odd pattern and decided to head downstairs for a midnight snack.

Inside the fridge was nothing but a few half emptied beers, an orange, and cold ramyun that was probably 2 weeks expired. He settled for the orange, hoping it wasn't rotten or anything. He turned around and saw a small figure covered in purple blankets on the couch. His heart squeezed.

Jung Dahyun was his 15 year old sister. She had jet black hair with orange and pink strands. They were usually the only 2 in the house. 

Quietly, he peered over the little girl's sleeping figure. "This kid, you shouldn't have waited for her." he said as he slowly sneaked his arms under her knees and under her neck. He was just about to take a step on the stairs when a low grumbling voice was heard.

"Yah, put me down oppa." she mumbled half awake and half asleep.

"Your fault for falling asleep on the couch." he retorted as he continued up the stairs. She simply groaned as she clung on tighter to her brother. 

"I thought she was coming back. I waited since I got home." Daehyun entered his sister's room and gently set her down on her bed. He pulled the blanket she had earlier over her body and without a word, turned back around. Dahyun closed her eyes and tried to go back to sleep.

"Oppa," she called in a mere whisper. He stopped and held the doorknob.

"She isn't going to come back tonight, is she?" There was a hint of sadness in the 15 year old's voice. 

For a moment, Daehyun couldn't find the right words to say. He too wanted to know where their mother was. Was he supposed to lie and say she was at work? Or was he supposed to make up an answer? He didn't know. 

"She'll be back by morning," he lied, hoping that would settle Dahyun's worries. "Now, get some rest. We have school tomorrow." And with that, Daehyun left the bedroom with a heavy burden on his shoulders. 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Right when the 1st period bell rang, students of the Calculus class groaned and stopped writing. Some were already tearing up for the sake of their scores and others were calm and normal. "Pass up your answer keys, and everyone is dismissed." the teacher announced in a monotone voice.

Daehyun's seat partner nudged his arm. "How'd you think you did?"

He shrugged and continued to pack up his things. "Dunno, but I studied last night."

Yoo Youngjae adjusted the rim of his glasses and stood up. He was the #1 top student in the class for Calculus. From what Daehyun had observed over the past few weeks, his seat partner was extremely smart and very knowledgable. Youngjae was about to leave when he remembered something.

"So how's that article on the girl's soccer team coming along?" Youngjae questioned. 

The sound of lenses shattering to pieces on the floor and other parts of the camera breaking to bits echoed throughout the gym. The look on the girl's face, it didn't show complete frantic shock, but a mere surprising look. 

He wanted to capture that look. What's worse is when she tried to pay for it by giving her all pocket money. It made him feel terrible. 

Just as she was about to take her leave, Daehyun tapped her shoulder. She turned around and he gently grabbed her hand and gave back her money. Jaerin looked at the crumpled dollar bills. "I'm sure you've worked hard for this money. Besides, I have another camera."

Well that last part was a lie. That was his only camera. And he saved up all his birthday and Christmas money to buy it.

"Just peachy." he mumbled before leaving.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

"Please, just-- isn't there anything you could do?" he urged once more. The employee of the camera shop sighed (a little bit annoyed) and shook his head. "Sorry son, the lenses are too damaged, the slot for the battery is dented, and the button doesn't even properly operate anymore!"

Daehyun hung his head low and gripped the few crumpled bills in his pocket. "Th-That's fine. I'll just-- nevermind. Good day, sir." he bowed and collected the broken pieces and stuffed them into the plastic bag. The bell rang as he pushed through the exit. Daehyun didn't know where his feet were taking them, he just kept walking and walking. 

His mind was too clouded to think straight. He felt frustrated, upset, and sad that his camera wasn't even alive and properly functioning. His camera to him was like an iPhone 6s to everyone else. But actually, it was more than that. His camera had the ability to capture every moment he saw and experienced. At least he kept the memory card. 

In the midst of his thoughts, a hard-metal object-- probably a car-- jerked and swerved sideways. The front of the car whammed onto the side of his calf causing him to fall on the concrete. 

His arm hit the ground first and then he felt a jolt of pain rush through his calf. It wasn't extruciating or anything, it probably left a huge purple bruise.

Which it did. He groaned at the pain and bit his lip. The driver of the car-- no truck-- gasped and he could hear the voice panicking and rushing over.

" . Oh my god, a-are you alive? I n-need to call the ing ambulance. Hold on, just.. stay right there-- oh ." 

From the sound of it,  he could tell it was a girl. He couldn't make out the face, since he was practically looking at the sun. Daehyun sat himself up and held onto his calf which was already forming a purple nasty bruise.

Little by little, people started to crowd around the scene. 

"Ma'm, you don't need to call the ambulance. I--

When the person turned around, his voice got caught in his throat.

He recognized the dark brown hair and oval shaped eyes. He recognized the same school uniform she was wearing.

"Well I'll be damned." she muttered when she lifted the phone off her ear.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter