C h a e r i n

Dream On [DISCONTINUED]
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

An aged pickup truck with faded paint pulled up in front of a dome shaped building that read "Ice Skating Training Center - Est. 1978"

The old engine of the truck turned off as Jaerin rested her head on the steering wheel. She checked her phone. 9:12 PM. She opened a new chat to text her sister, until the door was opened and in came the said girl.

"12 minutes late, not mad. Just super tired." Chaerin threw her duffel bag under her feet and let her head rest on the shoulder of the seat. Jaerin looked at her sister. How could they have the same face, yet, Chae was always the pretty one? She was pretty inside and out, which is rare for most people today.

"How was practice?" Jaerin started small talk as the engine struggled to roar to life. With her eyes closed and body fatigued she replied, "I was a bit rusty. But there was this new kid. And he's really good." She paused for 5 seconds to rest. "Really tall. Good with the dynamics too. Really fast on catching on." She paused again.

Jaerin finally got the engine working after a few tries and started driving. 

"And he's sort of.." By the hint in her tone, Jaerin could already tell what her sister was thinking. As she made a turn, she finished her sentence.

"Really cute?" 

Chaerin opened her eyes and sat up. She brought her knees to her chest and hid her face. "I didn't say that." She muttered. 

"Yeah, but you were thinking it. So what's this guy's name?" Jaerin began to investigate. It had been years since Chaerin had ever liked someone. The last time she had a crush was in the 2nd grade. He was an exchange student from China. They made a pact instantly and became friends in the sandbox.

"What was the guy's name? Yinzing?"

"His name was Yixing!"

"Right. What if Yixing was that super tall-really-good skater? What if he came back for you?" Chaerin shut up instantly and looked at her sister weirdly. "Yah, are you sick? Who are you and what have you done to my twin?"

"What? Are boys like that?" Jaerin retorted.

Chaerin chortled a small laugh. "I don't know, I've only had one crush in my entire life. And that Yixing." Bittersweet. That's what it was. The memories of the past began to eat her brain out. The two were silent for a little while until they drove into their neighborhood. 

"So how was your practice? Was Ahra there?"

"Yeah. And this girl fell, and I helped her, and then this guy fell, I broke his camera, turned out he was Ahra's cousin. Funny right?" Jaerin was talking all so fast Chaerin couldn't even process that fact that her twin helped another human being out. Someone who wasn't even related.

"Hold up! You helped someone?" Chaerin turned full attention to the driver. Jaerin gave a short blank look at ther sister. 

"Wah daebak. You're progressing really well. I'm sure you'll have friends in no time!" Chaerin said proudly. For a few seconds she sat back in her seat and the sky was getting dark.

Then she sat up again. "You broke someone's camera?!" Chaerine exclaimed loudly. "Technically, it fell out of his hands. But that's his fault because he bumped into me."

 

Back at the gym - few minutes ago.

"That.. My c-camera." Daehyun stared at his Canon's black pieces all over the floor. The rest of the soccer players whispered amongst themselves and wondered what would happen. A) Kim Jaerin would beat him up or B) He would make her pay for it

Unable to process things to say in her mind and make them come from , Jaerin stood there not knowing what to do. Should she apologize? Well he was the one walking blindlessly. But, she was also walking backwards.

"Oppa!" Ahra yelled from behind and rushed over. Jaerin turned with slightly surprised eyes. "Oppa? He's your brother?" Jaerin whispered to her. Daehyun got up on his own figuring that she wouldn't lend him a hand. 

"Cousin. Yah, what are you doing here? You trying to embarass me?" Ahra shooted glares at the latter. Daehyun rolled his eyes and ignored the blonde. "I'm just here taking some pics for the newspaper." Daehyun explained bluntly. Jaerin looked at Ahra's cousin. His voice was... nice.

She wasn't ually attracted-- not anything like that for sure. His voice just seemed normal and friendly in her way. Not like the other guys in the school with voices that were insulting and flirty. 

Ahra began rambling on and on and complaining to Daehyun for even showing up and causing a scene. Daehyun just stood there looking down at his cousin with absolutely no interest. 

His face read "What have I ever done in my past life to be related to you"

"I'll pay for it." Jaerin looked up with her wallet in her hand. Ahra and Daehyun looked at her, Ahra more surprised she would actually offer someone her own stuff. Especially money. 

"Andae! You don't have to." Ahra shook her head strongly. Jaerin ignored her fellow teammate and started fishing a few bills from her wallet. Luckily, she worked a few more extra shifts last week. She had about $70 on her. 

"What's the price?" Jaerin questioned without looking at him. "None. I can't accept your money. It was an accident. Accidents happen. So you don't have to owe me anything." Daehyun replied with complete sincerity. 

Jaerin's eyes were completely disinterested in this guy's charity. Of course he wants money, that's what she thought. Everyone wants money. Especially a guy like him? Come on. A face like that could probably own 4 houses. 

"The price." she retorted plainly.

Daehyun sighed. This girl sure is stubborn. Who in the world would be stubborn enough to want to give away their own money?

"400. I'm telling you, it's fine--

She cut him off. "I have 70 on me. I'll give you the 330 when my next few paychecks come in." She took his wrist and dumped the dollars in his hand. *I'm gonna have to work a few more shifts..*

Just as she was about to take her leave, Daehyun tapped her shoulder. She turned around and he gently grabbed her hand and gave back her money. Jaerin looked at the crumpled dollar bills. "I'm sure you've worked hard for this money. Besides, I have another camera."

Daehyun took his leave and Ahra watched her cousin walk out the doors. Jaerin continued to stare at the money he gave back. 

She could still feel the lingering touch of his fingers on her hand. No one, besides her grandparents, Rinjo, and Chaerin had ever touched her hands before. 

-End of flashback-

"So what if that guy touched your hand? He seems nice." Chaerin commented at the story her sister told her. "I can't believe you almost gave away your month's worth!" Chaerin leaned back in shock.

"I thought they were siblings since they were both blonde and she called him oppa."

"But seriously blonde? What kind of fashion trend is this?" Chaerin stuck her tongue out in disgust.

"But Chae, everyone knows that I hate skinship. I hate it when people touch me." Jaerin cringed as she parked into their driveway.

"Oh please, get over yourself. Was he cute?" Chaerin's voice urged to hear more. Jaerin took out the keys from the slot and paused for a moment. Was he cute? His oval-shaped moon eyes were pretty attractice. And his plump big lips.

Shut the hell up, Jae. You have no time for boys.

"NOONAS YOU'RE HOME!" the twins simaltaneously looked up to see the open window with a small head stuck out.

The small head belonged to little Rinjo who had a smile plastered on his face. 

Except for this one. 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter