. Before - The beginning of the end

The sound of madness

Kai's P.O.V

April 1st, 2000

It was your birthday. The day we would never forget. The beginning of the end.

You woke up, and i am proud to say, the first thing you saw was my face. Joy. I was hovering over you, yelling how excited i was for you. You slowly smiled, yawned, put your small hand over my mouth and pushed me back to bed. 

A few hours later you woke up again, and then the celebration started. Your mom made us waffles with chocolate and strawberries for breakfast, our favorite. I sometimes wondered if it was actually my favorite or if i just forced myself to like the same things you did. We sang you happy birthday and made you open your gifts. I didn't have money and my dad obviously didn't want to give me, but your mom understanding the situation, made me responsible for a little gift she bought for me to give you. Of course then i went over to the garden of that old lady who used to yell at us for messing with her garden, and took a few flowers that i gifted you alongside with a kiss on your cheek. The happiest memory of that year. 

We then played with that kid next door to my house, since you didn't have many friends, considering i kept absorbing all of your time. We promised to be your slaves for the day, so we often piggy backed you, pushed you from the swings and played those violent games you liked. 

Then the night came and we sat hand by hand, waiting for your dad to bring the cake. Every one was happy, you were about to blow the candles of your cake when a loud scream interrupted our celebration. It was my mom. 

We were already used to my parents fighting, seeing my dad drunk and hearing from blocks away the screams of them and the noises of things breaking. It was your special moment and i considered you more of a family than what the were so i didn't even flinch when i heard that. 

The screams kept going, as she begged for help. Hearing that your dad, like those badass old cop movies, decided to rescue the damsel in distress. Your mom was sort of against it, of course i wouldn't blame her, but your dad insisted while he patted my head, like my dad never did. Of course he wasn't stupid, he grabbed his gun first, just in case. 

Your mom told us to stay home, but we slowly sneaked outside and silently followed him. How i wish i would have pulled you back, told you it was a mistake, let you follow the instructions of your mom. We both knew she knew better. I told you maybe it wasn't a good idea, but you smiled and told me that if you wanted to be like him, you would have to learn what he did. Of course you wanted to be like him, it was stupid of me not to notice it before. 

My mom and dad weren't bad people. No one is born bad. The circumstances of life makes you who you are, and still i don't believe someone can simply be bad. No one is completely good or bad. We are simply human, as easy as that. My mom and dad were human. Really ed up humans.

They had a pretty sad life, and when they met each other they thought being with each other made them feel less of a up. Of course that wasn't true, being together only made their worst side shine brighter. He started to drink after i was born and he realized life wasn't what he expected, having a child wasn't what he expected. They thought it would be exciting, that my sole existence would bring them happiness, or that spark they were waiting for. Wrong. It was nothing like what they expected and seeing how useless i was only got them angrier. 

My mom was still beautiful when she realized that, so it wasn't a problem for her. She met other men hoping to find that spark she needed. He was angry at her, but he didn't really care anymore. As time went by and he got fired, he got angrier and angrier, until i was just a sad witness of a gone wrong relationship.We moved in next to you when my parents couldn't pay the rent of the little apartment we had anymore. My dad decided to make amends with his crazy mother, so she would lend us the house next to yours. 

We were in front of the whole scene the moment my dad pulled the trigger; i think we even got a little splashed with blood when it happened; but i can't really remember. It took eleven shots to have three corpses in front of us. My mom, my dad and your dad.