Chapter 6

The Way Of Love
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

A/N: Double update for my lovely readres ^^ Thank you for supporting this story.

 

The next few days were torture for Luhan. Just as Baekhyun had predicted, the fact that 'Sehun came to ask about Lian's school' was completely distorted into 'Sehun is dating Luhan's little sister,' and had spread throughout the whole school. He might have been able to handle it if he just had to deal with Bomi but, facing the entire female student body, it was painful for him to pretend like he didn't know. Countless times he had been pulled aside, called out to, and even given looks full of hostility. Almost all of the questions were to determine whether the rumor was true, but it had been Baekhyun's idea for Luhan to maintain a noncommittal attitude, neither confirming nor denying it. The strange thing was, by doing so, people usually tended to think the worst, and he was fed up with girls bursting into tears.

"But, any rumors about your ring have disappeared. Isn't that what you wanted?"

"Well, now none of them will talk to me at all."

That was about the only good thing that he could say about it, which probably suited Baekhyun just fine, he thought bluntly. It was likely Baekhyun attributed Luhan's recent lack of energy to his involvement with the rumor. As the sunshine beat down relentlessly in his classroom during free period, the strong light reminded Luhan of early summer. It seemed that simply looking at its intense glare would be enough to rob him of his spirit entirely.

"I didn't really believe it before but, that Sehun really is popular. He's gained even more fans since the basketball game."

"Even though he left mid-game."

"Han, you went chasing after him, didn't you? You surprised me, man. So, what was the reason for his exit?"

"How should I know?!" Luhan said grumpily, pouting.

To Luhan's surprise, Baekhyun nodded his head in agreement. What? Luhan asked with his eyes, as Baekhyun smiled, as if he knew what was going on. "He probably said something to you, baiting you again, right? C'mon, Lu, you're not still mad from before. Honestly, listening to your stories, you guys are like schoolchildren."

"That jerk Sehun is just taunting me."

"I don't think so. I think he's just having fun because you take the bait so easily. I don't think anybody else knows about this childish side of Sehun. I mean, I haven't seen it for myself, so it's hard to believe."

"........................"

"Lu?" Baekhyun leaned forward in his seat, bringing his face close to Luhan's. "Umm, it's just a hunch, but could it be that you don't like the rumors about Sehun and Lian? 'Cause it bothers you to use her as a pawn .."

"What gave you that idea?"

" 'Cause you look so grummpy all the time."

"I always look this way!" Luhan stood up with a jerk and roughly grabbed his bag. He still had class, but he had no desire to stay at school.

"H-Hey! What's the deal?!" Luhan ignored Baekhyun's surprised voice as he left the classroom and hurried off as fast as he could. He wanted to get out and put at least a little distance between himself and everyone who couldn't stop talking about his connection with Sehun.

Of course, there wasn't a shred of truth that Lian and Sehun were dating. If she found out, she'd probably fly into a rage, and Sehun would just grin. The whole thing was just random remark manipulated to Baekhyun's and Luhan's advantage. Neverthless, each time he answered, "Those two .. I don't really know," somehow it became more unbearable for Luhan. It was as if he himself was starting to believe it was true.

I feel so stupid .. Luhan got tired of running and, hanging his head, he silently trudged along the asphalt. If he felt stupid, on the other hand, what exactly did he want to do? He repeated the thought over and over, cross-examining himself.

Just like Baekhyun said, he was right that it would serve them to be vague about the rumor for a while. Luhan didn't want people thinking about the ring or the present incidents, and Baekhyun could have consolation match with Bomi.

But Luhan stil did not feel better. Even though they wore the same rings, people just saw Lian's shadow behind him. They were assured that he was just a 'friend of the kid sister's boyfriend.' For the many who were in love with Sehun, even though they saw Lian as a threat, Luhan wasn't a problem since he is a guy.

Of course not, Sehun and I are both guys .. Despite this fact, his wounded self still felt awful. Just imagining the difficulty of fullfiling their relationship made his head hurt. Someone as popular as Sehun had no reason to choose another guy for a partner.

There's gotta be something wrong with me ... Thinking of Sehun and himself in a romantic situation was clearly proof that his head was a mess. No matter what, it would never happen. Luhan couldn't even guess what Sehun thought of him — whether he liked him or hated him.

Of course, he couldn't fathom his own feelings either. When Sehun had whispered his name, he had felt that rush. Even now, he could vividly recall the pleasure. But that didn't mean that he was in love with him.

The path that ran along the tracks towards the station was lined by well-known cherry trees. As he passed underneath the glimmering greenery. Luhan felt slightly comforted. I bet it would be picture-perfect to walk here in spring with Sehun through a rain of a beautiful cherry blossoms. But as his imagination got caried away, he realized that by spring of the next year, Sehun would be graduating, and his heart grew heavy again.

There really is something wrong with me .. It's been less than two weeks since we met and started talking .. And yet, he felt like they'd been playing jokes on each other since they were kids, and Sehun felt dear to him. This was not at all strange to Luhan. That's right then ..

Luhan came to halt. Tomorrow, Sunday, was finally Sehun's birthday. He wondered what Lian's friend, whose present had been refused, had done about it. Well, that's got nothing to do with me!  Shaking his head from side to side, he started walking again. It was none of his bussines if some girl's advances on Sehun failed. Right now, what was important to Luhan was his old, peacefull student life. If he was to get back to it, he would have to tolerate the rumor, even if it was about Lian.

But whether or not his 'peacefull student life' was what he really wanted, Luhan could not say for sure.

 

"I'm home." It was past five in the evening by the time Luhan walked in the door. Whether or not he had skipped class, if he had come stright home he wouldn't have had anything to do, so he had stopped to see a movie. The arthouse cinema was showing a Korean movie that had lightened his mood and Luhan, now slightly revived, was greeted by Lian in high spirits.

"Welcome home, Lu! I'm making dinner now." Stirring a pot, Lian looked back genially at Luhan as he peered into kitchen. Staring at her, he could see how much they resembled each other. Lian's hair was thicker than Luhan's, which was soft and fine, but her short, bouncy hairstyle suited her bubbly personality.

"So, tonight it's Luhan's favourite, minestrone and chilled pasta with clams! Oh,

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter