Chapter 8

The Way Of Love
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

In the silence, his heart was beating furiously and Luhan tried to bring his consciousness back to reality. As he felt the touch of the ring on Sehun's hand that was holding his back, he awoke from his dream.

"Wh-What are you doing?!" he showed Sehun's body away and bit his own lips to try to shake off the sweetness that lingered there. Luhan did not miss the sadness, the faint trace of bewilderment that floated in Sehun's eyes as he stared at him silently. "You batard! If this is a bad joke, well, I'm not laughing!"

"Then what? You wanted a laughable kiss?"

"I don't want any of it! You hurt me, you jerk! ert! Letch!"

That ring that you always keep so close, you love it because you got it from her. The words nearly got stuck in his throat. Luhan stared back at Sehun, who was looking at him with a disappointed expression.

But maybe, just maybe, if I reached out to him now ..  The thought quickly flashed Luhan's mind. Maybe, even if it's a milion-to-one chance, Sehun might take his hand. In the moment that thin hope was born in his heart, it was extinguished before it could even take a shape. Sighing lightly, Luhan tried his best to control the tumult inside him as he said,"I apologize about the rumor. I'm sorry."

"It doesn't matter now."

"It does matter! I'll tell everyone myself that it was untrue. And about Lian .."

"What? You want to arrange a marriage between us or something?"

"No, nothing like that. Uh, you went all the way to her school to straighten it out for me, right? She was happy about that so .. Thank you," Luhan said, bowing his head.

Sehun turned aside, seeming disturbed. He pushed back his bangs with his fingers and murmured wearily, "You and your sister, you really look alike."

"Yeah .. We often get mistaken for twins."

"I knew it was her right away just by looking at her face. I've got it. If I start going out with your little sister, the rumor will become truth, right? Why don't we do that?" Sehun suggested in a reckless tone, turning back towards Luhan.

"It's a good idea, isn't it?" The twisted smile on his face contradicted his words. "Then everything will work out. Right, Luhan?"

"What are you saying?"

"I'm serious. She's pretty cute. And I like 'em stubborn. On top of that, the fact that she looks like you would be fun."

"F-Fun ..?"

"To continue this romantic scenario with your little sister."

Slap!

The lively sound tore through the air and rang in the closed room. Sehun's left cheek reddened instantly before Luhan's eyes.

"Sehun, we're through!"

".............."

"I never want to see you again! My ring is gone too, so that's just fine!"

"Hey, what are you ... Just hold on!"

"No! Goodbye, Oh ing Sehun!"

Having been slapped and renounced, Sehun looked quite panicked — not like himself at all. Probably no one but Luhan had ever seen such an uncool Oh Sehun. In the end, it was worth it just to see his expression.

Leaving behind the student council office, Luhan walked quickly along the halls that were now quiet during class hours. While he was walking, tears sprang to his eyes and this time he didn't bother to try to stifle them.

"A laughable kiss .. What the hell is that ..?" Luhan murmured, shedding tears. "Your sense of humor totally .." As he spoke the falling tears made a drip-drop rhythm that, despite his sadness, seemed funny somehow. He started to laugh through his tears. He would go on crying through his laughter forever.

 

The rumor died down and everyone soon forgot about it without Luhan really having to do much. Baekhyun showed his mettle and put the moves on Bomi again, only to be dumped again, but he seemed to have quit the drinking and cursing Sehun sessions. Instead, he said he wanted to join the basketball team — even though it was almost the end of the first semester of their second year — and he actually made the cut.

Luhan kept his word and tried his best to avoid Sehun, and for his part, Sehun kept his distance from Luhan as well. According to a new rumor, Sehun's ring was intact and in good condition, but Luhan would probably never see the day when he could confirm that. The thought made his heart ache with sadness.

 

Lian was born in May, so there was still plenty of time before her actual birthday. "But maybe when you and I are both free, why don't we ..?" And that was how she compelled Luhan to go shopping for a present the next day. What he really wanted to do was spend a quiet day at home, nursing his broken heart, but he knew that reason wouldn't fly with Lian.

"You can't stay depressed, you've got to find new love!" she said as she chased him out of the house. "Oh, this is the place. I found it on the internet. It said that all their accessories are originals! Isn't it cute?!"

"Don't pick something too expensive."

Completely ignoring Luhan's remark, as soon as they entered the store, Lian's eyes darted like a hunter's. Ever since that ring, Luhan had been shunning all accessories, but there were plenty of classy uni designs that seemed like his style, so he started to think about buying something.

"Huh? Do you want something too, Han?"

"I'm t

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter