Chapter 5

The Way Of Love
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

It was the next day after school. As they came out of the classroom, Luhan and Baekhyun were talking about stopping for some fast food on their way home. Suddenly, they became aware of an odd commotion that stopped them in their tracks. Looking around, they saw hordes of girls rushing down the stairs with anxious look on their faces.

"Is there something going on?" Baekhyun called out to one of the girls, who looked back distractedly.

"Don't you know? The basketball team is playing Joongdong High in a practice game in the gym."

"All this just for a practice game .. ?

"Of course! Sehun is in the game! His friend on the team asked him to play as a stand-in. It's started already."

She trailed off as she hurriedly left them. Baekhyun elbowed Luhan as he asked,

"What do you wanna do? Should we swing by the gym?"

"Seriously? I thought you didn't like Sehun."

"Well, yeah .. He is my rival in love .." Baekhyun seemed to hesitate until the hallway had emptied before adding "Well Luhan, you look like you want to go."

 

Luhan's school was a university-feeder institution, so it was kind to say that they had a decent basketball team. Nevertheless, the score was 20-38, and Whimoon had an overhelming lead.

"Hey ..! We're not so bad after all," Baekhyun said, impressed, as Luhan sat next to him, brooding, with a confused look on his face. How did I end up here in the gym, he wondered. Doesn't this only confirm Baekhyun when he said, 'You look like you want to go'? What was I thinking?

Even though he was just reliever, Sehun was the team's star player. As he ran up and down the court, he looked so effortlessly cool. It was fascinating for anyone to watch him play, and Luhan felt thrill in his chest. This must be the Oh Sehun that everyone know and love so much.

I wish it were enough just to look at him .. While Luhan get lost in his thoughts, a cheer went up from the crowd. Sehun had scored again. The pair of girls right in front of him clapped their hands while jumping and screaming.

"Hey Lu, did you see that?" Baekhyun whispered through the noise."Sehun spotted you. He glanced over and gave a little smile. During the game, even! Man, he's confident."

"Seriously...?" Somehow, to have Sehun think he had come to cheer him on bothered Luhan a little. With that arrogant look on his face, he'll probably just start teasing again.

But if he put aside his feelings and watched the game, Luhan had to admit that Sehun's playing was spectacular. He was so much better than the other players that he couldn't really work any combination plays, even though there were many opportunities. Yet, Sehun wasn't irritated — rather, he seemed to be enjoying the game. Maybe that was why the other players also seemed relaxed and excited to be playing.

"Doesn't he seem ... too perfect?" He heard Baekhyun mutter this to himself, despite being surrounded by cheers as if they were at a teen idol concert. The game was already in the second-half and their lead had only widened.

But why did that  'too perfect' being take such a hostile attitude towards Luhan? He had yet to unravel the mystery. Yesterday in the library, Luhan felt like he had caught a glimpse of his true nature, but now, at this distance, he was uncertain again. The kind, thoughtful, and serious student ... or mean, haughty, and ill-tempered ... he never, ever shows his true colors .. Which is the real Oh Sehun? He wondered.

"Awesome! Another basket!" At some point Baekhyun had been drawn into the game, and now he raised his right fist in a victory pose. Sehun had scored dozens of points on his own, and now everyone was convinced that Whimoon was going to win.

...... But.

Suddenly Sehun stood still and raised one hand to stop the game. As his teammates and the spectators waited to see what would happen, Sehun hurried off the court with stoic expression.

"What? Did he get injured or something?"

"Injured?" If that was case, he wore a pretty calm expression. As Luhan noted Sehun's face as he walked off, he thought, Maybe ...

Whimoon's substitution player was called from the bench. Starting with Baekhyun, a loud cry went up from the students who had gathered in the gym, but there were less than five minutes left in the game. As it stood, Whimoon could probably still win even without Sehun.

But the one who had done the most for the team was no longer on the court. Luhan scanned the court and saw him finish a short conversation with the coach and then leave without waiting to see the rest of the game.

"Baek .." At that moment, Luhan wanted to run after him, not caring what people would think. Even though it was Sehun who had roused the game to this point, Luhan had a feeling he understood why he had left just before they were about to win.

"To suddenly be replaced like that, something must have happend. Don't you think, Han?"

"Sorry, Baek, I've got to go!" As he ran out distractedly, he wondered if he had been too abrupt. The crowd who had come specifically to see Sehun wondered whether to stay until the end, but suprisingly few people decided to leave.

Changing into sneakers as he burst outside, Luhan held himself back while he looked around. Sehun had left just a moment ago, but he was nowhere to be seen. "No way ... Why isn't he here?" The school yard was quiet, as if the furor inside the gym had been a dream, which made Luha feel all the more helpless. "What .. Where did he go .. ?"

"Looking for me?"

Hearing a voice behind him, Luhan was so surprised that he was unable to turn around. Before his frozen body went back to normal, he relized that someone was slowly approaching him from behind.

"Sehun?"

"That's Mr. Oh to you." His laughing voice melted into the summer evening. Enveloped by the grape-colored sky, Luhan suddenly wanted to crouch down in that spot like a child. If he t

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter