December 2013, Incheon Airport

You Love Her


By December, you concluded that your Korean language lessons had been going well. CL had proved to be a capable teacher, when you asked her about it, she told you that she had learnt from her father himself a physics professor. 

Dara had become used to your presence in the flat, and in that time she had become a sort of surrogate mother to you; forever checking that you were well fed and happy. She never objected to you showing up every Sunday evening with a rucksack full of books. 

In that time you also got to know the other members of 2ne1 - Bom and Minzy. They both became listed on your contacts, even though you rarely messaged them. Minzy was only slightly older than you, however you still spoke to her in the formal way. Due to her English being... interesting, things were always slightly awkward between the two of you. 

If Dara was your surrogate mother, then Donghae was your dad. Derpy but sweet, you never saw Dara happier than when she was with him.   

After your lessons, you would try and make a quick exit, however a couple of times, Chaerin firmly insisted that you go clubbing with her. Dara never seemed to go, instead preferring to cuddle up with Donghae on the sofa. You adored them, secretly hoping that they would marry someday. 

During those months, you grew to be close with Chaerin; she started to open up to you, and you began texting outside of your informal lessons. She began to buy you clothes as - in her own words - your dress sense was "dreadful". 

***********************************************

Now, however, it was December and you had to go back home. You went to the airport with Sarah and Dan (from the room next door), while hugging Sarah, you realised - to your horror, that you had failed to tell Chaerin of your departure. It was only for a month, you told yourself, but even so.... 

You picked up your phone and texted Chaerin.
- hey, forgot to say that I am returning home for christmas. Happy holidays x 
She would not be too happy with that you mused. Oh well, nothing to do about it. Your flight to London was boarding soon, there was no time to go back and say goodbye properly. 

She replied almost instantly:
- Sorry to miss you, enjoy England.
That was not a good sign, she usually used emojis. Sighing, you got up and rolled your suitcase over to the gate.