The Date Proposal or the Ice Cream P.2

The Date Proposal: Official Debut of the Anonymous

 

CHAPTER 5:

The Date Proposal or the Ice Cream II

 

 

 

AFTER LUNCH BREAK.

 

Although I called off JiHyun’s plan, MyungSoo still sat beside me. Anyway, I don’t care really. We’ll be seat mates, only during teacher Carmen’s class. She holds three subjects. Two are every Monday, Wednesday and Friday; one is every Saturday. Yep, we have Saturday classes.

 

“Ji Ae.” < -- HyungSik. Shocking. He didn’t speak to me the rest of last week after getting upset that I don’t remember him (but really, I don’t).

“Yes?” Anyway, I need to be nice.

“Can I sit beside you?” Shocking again. I looked up at him with confused face, and then turned my gaze over the bastard’s reaction, which... doesn’t matter really.

“Of course! Come. Sit,” I said in a delightful tone and pushed Mr ert out of my side. Hah! My revenge…!

“Oyyy! Why push me? This is my seat!”

I shot a deadpan expression, “Not anymore.” Then completely changed my facial expression with a  smile for HyungSik. “Come, come. Sit here.”

HyungSik was just about to sit but MyungSoo pulled away the chair. Result, HyungSik fell on his , thus humiliated as my classmates laughed. Oh! Poor him.

MyungSoo smirked at HyungSik, thinking as if he won.

I thought HyungSik will just let it pass but, oh so unexpectedly, he stood up and pushed MyungSoo on his chest. I smell trouble… Oh no, not good.

I went between them in attempt to prevent the fight. =Sigh=  How did I end up here? JiHyun, aren’t you going to help? I looked at her direction but she didn’t even bother looking back at what’s happening behind her.

 

“Oy. This is my seat, China man.” Oh MyungSoo. Pleeease stop making nicknames at this critical situation.

“Kumanhae! His name is HyungSik.” I felt he’s still trembling from anger under my grip. “I said stop, please.”

“HyungSik, you can sit here. MyungSoo, our next period is not with teacher Carmen, so I can choose which of you can sit here.” Last week teacher Cristy told us we can sit everywhere. Teacher Cristy teaches every afternoon of Monday and Tuesday.

 

“Classmates! Teacher alert!” One of our classmates.

I sat back down immediately and didn’t give the bastard another look. What is his problem really? So childish!

“MyungSoo! Yoohoo, there’s a seat here. Hihi,” some pig faced girl squeaked.

“Shut up.” I heard him kicked the desk and went to sit down already. HyungSik took his seat beside me too. I didn’t look at him, either, because… I don’t know, I’m upset, I think?

 

------------------

After that class with teacher Cristy, we have no more classes left since the last period’s teacher is on sick leave. According to others, she just gave birth last week and she’s new in the faculty.

Everyone is getting ready to get out of school, while I am just staring at JiHyun’s back. I think I hurt her feelings too much.

 

“Ji Ae,” < -- guess who.

 

 

“Oh… HyungSik,” I greeted him first.

“I just…want to apologize.” He has a sad expression.

“For…what?” Okay, let’s play dumb for a while.

“For last week.”

“Too late.”

“Wha-?” He’s surprised. Then had a long face again, “okay, I understand. But, please, forgive me at least for what just happened in class.” He lowered his head, a gesture that made me guilty. He appeared to be really sorry for a crime that’s not even worth punishing.

I focused my gaze on his pitiful side. Then, I patted his head. Nah~, just messing with his nicely-dressed hair would pay back the price.

He appeared surprised as he raised his head to look back at me.

“Cheer up, buddy. I was just kidding.”

“Do you forgive me?” He shyly smiled. Cuuuuute.

“Yeah. Just… don’t lose your temper so easily for that bastard’s childish acts. I think he has mental issues.”

“O-okay. T-thanks.”

 

JiHyun’s image suddenly passed through my sight. She’s going home already, with my other classmates. Are you alright with this, Ji Ae?

 

“Aah, Ji Ae?”

“Yes.”

Yes. I’m alright with this. I’m used to this, solitude.

“Ji Ae?”

=HyungSik disappears in my field of view as a flash of memory played in my mind=

 

I met JiHyun in my second year in high school. That was during an event, when I was trying to get a scoop from a national singing competition where there’s a student representing our school. Students are not allowed back stage but I still went there inside with a disguise. While hiding, I bumped into a person who’s hiding as well. It was JiHyun. Initially she thought I was a journalist from other school but through her amazing paparazzi-like talent, she eventually discovered that I am Anonymy just after we coincidental met three times. That time, she was a newbie in the Journalism Club as a news writer but later she discovered her talent in feature writing. Since then, she started writing on the Feature Column but only holds a temporary position.

 

“Ji Ae?” HyungSik’s voice sliced through my mind.

“Huh? What was that again? Sorry, I didn’t…hear you,” I told HyungSik and his face turned sad. My eyes are starting to sting from the recollection of how JiHyun became a very close person to me.

“You’re not listening…”

“Oh, I’m really sorry. Look, don’t worry. I forgave you already. And I… think I need to go. So… uhm, see yah tomorrow, kay?”

 

While walking along the hallway, I noticed there’re no students around yet since our class dismissed an hour early. I checked the locker room… There’s no one in there.

Since no one’s around, might as well get the letters for the week.

 

 

------------------------

5PM – HISTORY GARDEN

 

One year with JiHyun seemed to have gone to waste in just a minute… in just a simple ‘no’.

I don’t get her. Why should she be mad when I disapproved her plan?

My problem does not involve her at all and her plan is all about her enjoyment. I feel like I am being her puppet for another mischief. I don’t want her help if that’s her plan.

 

It’s about to rain and I have not moved from this swing.

I was just… easing up the heavy feeling.

I didn’t cry but I feel lonely.

My tears…they don’t just fall like rain.

I don’t even remember the last time that I shed a tear.

In my elementary years, I was named Stone Heart.

Cold, frozen, stone heart…heartless.

 

I then remembered all the times that JiHyun saved my back. She has always been there for me especially when my secret as the real Anonymy was about to be cracked.

How could I hurt JiHyun when all she thinks about is my own welfare? How could I be so heartless?

 

>Ji Ae.<-- Who could this be?

 

From the dark, a shadow appears. Suddenly, there’s a strange feeling in my chest that I, myself, could not fathom.

 

“Will you date me?” The shadow said. Then it disappeared as the lights were .

Under the pretty lights, he stood there with two ice cream cones on his both hands.

 

I didn’t expect this to happen.

 

-----------------

Commercial…The Date Proposal will be right back after this short break.

 

AUTHOR HERE, SPEAKIN’. SO, UHHH, HOW’S THE STORY SO FAR? I DON’T REALLY KNOW IF I SHOULD CONTINUE BUT WHATEVER YOUR REVIEWS ARE, IT WILL DEPEND ON MY MOOD WHETHER I WILL JUST STOP WRITING THIS STORY, OR NOT.

WELL, THAT’S NOT REALLY WHAT I WANTED TO SAY.

I’D LIKE TO MAKE, ACTUALLY, AN OFFICIAL ANNOUNCEMENT OF WHAT’S GONNA HAPPEN OR WHAT THE STORY IS REALLY ABOUT.

SO, YOU’VE READ ALREADY THAT STORY IS NOT ENTIRELY ABOUT A DATE AND THAT THE MAIN PROTAGONIST IS A SECRET WRITER, THUS ANONYMOUS. BEFORE GIVING THIS PIECE A TITLE, I HAD THIS IMAGINARY TWO OF ME ARGUING ABOUT THE RIGHT TITLE FOR THE STORY, EITHER DATE PROPOSAL OR ANONYMY. AS YOU CAN SEE, I ENDED UP WITH DATE PROPOSAL THINKING ANONYMY WOULD BE QUITE A BORING TITLE.

ANYWAY, OUR PROTAGONIST, YOO JI AE WAS A REGULAR CONTRIBUTOR TO THE SCHOOL PAPER AS AN ANONYMOUS BUT LATER, THE EDITOR IN CHIEF DECIDED TO CONTACT AND INVITE HER TO JOIN THE CLUB BUT SHE REJECTED. INSTEAD, SHE WANTS TO STAY ANONYMOUS IN THE NAME OF ANONYMY. THE STORY WON’T BE MUCH ABOUT BEING A WRITER. YOU WILL ONLY SEE A SMALL GLIMPSE OF JI AE’S SECRET WRITER LIFE SINCE IT WILL SOON BE SHAKEN BY MANY CHALLENGES, INCLUDING THE CHALLENGES OF TRYING OUT NEW THINGS AND THE TEST OF THE REAL WORLD OUTSIDE HER SHELL.

I’M THINKING THE STORY NEEDS A LITTLE TOUCH UP OF OTHER POV’S FROM OTHER CHARACTERS. IN FACT, I’M WORKING ON THEM ALREADY. OTHER’S POV WILL GIVE US A CLEAR VIEW OF EACH CHARACTER’S INNER FEELINGS AND THOUGHTS. SO DON’T FRET. I THINK IT’S BEST FOR THE STORY.

MY PLANS FOR THE STORY IS NOT FIXED. EXPECT CHANGES IN THE FLOW OF EVENTS LATER.

EITHER WAY, I HOPE YOU ENJOY THIS STORY.

IF YOU DON’T, NO ONE IS STOPPING YOU. YOU CAN CLOSE THE WINDOW NOW.

NOT GONNA FORCE YAH. I’M NOT DESPERATE.

ANYWAY, THANKS FOR YOUR TIME AND EFFORT IN READING THIS STORY! YOUR SUPPORT IS GREATLY APPRECIATED!

IF YOU SEE SOME GRAMMATICAL ERRORS PLEASE PM ME OR JUST COMMENT ^^

 

ADIOS AMIGOS!

 

----------------------------------------

AND NOW WE’RE BACK.

 

 

From the dark, a shadow appears. From the back of my mind, there is some feeling that makes me hope it was someone whom I knew before but…

 

“Ji Ae.”

 

I didn’t expect this happen.

I didn’t expect him to appear here.

 

“Will you date me?” Just at the same time, the shadow disappeared as the lights were .

Under the pretty lights, MyungSoo stood there with two ice cream cones on his both hands.

 

I…am disappointed.

Even so… for no particular reason, I feel somewhat comforted.

I can’t get fooled, however.

 

He must be up for something…suspicious.

Ooh I wonder what’s the flavour…

 

Eye off the ice cream Ji Ae!

 

Diverting my gaze to the ground, I told him to stay away from me.

“Go away.”

 

“Huh? Who’re you talking to?” Ugh! Here we go again. Playing innocent.

“I said go away. I’m not in the mood to joke around with you.”

“Who’re you talking to?”

Op. Anger meter goes up again.

 

“You. I’m talking to you! Go away!”

“Me? I didn’t hear my name though. Are you sure you’re talking to me?”

Grrr. He’s so childish! My God! Why does he keep repeating his question?

“I’m talking to you. Kim MyungSoo.” I said, with irritation in my tone of voice.

“Ah, so finally, you’re talking to me. Here,” he’s offering me the other ice cream.

“No thanks,”

“Come on. It’s melting already.”

“I said no, right? Go away,” I looked at the other direction, trying to ignore him.

“I will go when you say yes to my offer,” muh? Confident much?

“Which one? The date proposal or the ice cream?”

“Both.” He grinned. Psh, I can’t be seduced by that.

“You’re bribing me to take the ice cream for a date?”

“Perhaps.” He smiled again. This time, with a wink. Ugh, if only we met in a different situation, I would’ve liked him. But no. Even if the earth turned upside down, my impression towards him will never change. However… if it’s only for a pretense that is only temporary…perhaps…I can accept him.

“It depends on the flavour.” I took the ice cream from his grasp and tasted it. Hmm. Coffee and caramel. Yum.

I can see him staring too much. Ugh, it’s awkward and uncomfortable. My face must be oily already…eek.

“Stop staring,” I said to him, turning away as blood tinted my cheeks reddish pink.

“Uh, o-okay…” After a short silence. “So, what’s your answer?”

Hmm, let’s see. The flavour’s yummy, his date proposal is somewhat romantic, and I think I need to get back with JiHyun. I hope this solves the conflict between us.

“Yes.”

“It’s a yes?”

“Yes. It’s a yes.”

Then he threw a fist in the air. Too bad that hand was the one holding the ice cream. Haha.

 

“Oh.” He looked like a child whose ice cream had just fell on the ground. Aww…poor kid.

“You should’ve been more careful…MyungSoo.”

He looked back at me, with sad face. “Well… can we…share that?” He pointed at my ice cream.

“What?! NO!”

“Huhu, please…!”

“A no is NO.”

 

 

 

 

End of the Chapter.

---------------------------