Curfew Hours

The Date Proposal: Official Debut of the Anonymous

CHAPTER 10:

Curfew Hours

 

“Yah, JiAe. Can’t you move a bit closer?”

“Then can I move there?”

“Op! Don’t you even dare. Yah! MyungSoo!”

 

------------------------------------

THREE HOURS AGO.

 

“Okay class, that’s it for today. Class dismissed.” Miss Carmen said as she started gathering her stuff on the teacher’s table.

“Attention. Bow.” The class president led the class.

“Oh, uhm, YooJi Ae. Meet me at the office, now.” She said while already heading for the door to leave the classroom.

 

“De.” I said obviously bored and not caring. I immediately gathered my notes as well. I stared at JiHyun’s back for a while which had remained still in front of me, but when I felt a sting inside my heart, I automatically diverted my eyes on the person beside me. MyungSoo, with his head resting on his left palm as his other arm is folded on the desk, is making a balloon with his gum then chewed on it after it burst.

I stood up on his side and wore my bagpack. Seeing that he didn’t move to even turn his head towards me, I guessed he has no intention of dropping me off to my house today.

“Yah,” I lightly knocked my fist against his upper arm. “I’m leaving first. Miss Carmen wants to see me in her office.”

“Hm. Ka.” He said in monotone, completely uninterested.

I took two hesitant steps with my eyes still glued at his back, a bit expectant, “you can go home first. You don’t have to drop me off today.”

No response.

I went for the door with heavy steps. This is strange. Had I gotten used to him always tailing me? Eyyy! Maldoandwae.

Despite some of my class mates were busy planning where they are going after school and others, busy chattering about random things, I felt ashamed leaving the room first, plus without MyungSoo. I mean, they knew that we are ‘dating’ since we always go out and get in this classroom together since last week. I looked back at MyungSoo again and to my annoyance, he is now busy picking his nose. Ugh.

 

I made my way towards the faculty room but before arriving there, I passed by a classroom where I saw someone very familiar. It’s Krystal. Their class is having a group activity by pair and she is paired with her rumoured new boyfriend. Setting aside how jealous I was about her beauty, I felt sympathy for MyungSoo, both for losing such beauty like her and for that happy smile that portrays how in love she is with the guy she is currently with.

 

--------------------------------------------

TWO AND THIRTY FIVE MINUTES AGO.

 

Aigoo.Cheongmal! I didn’t expect Miss Carmen to be sooo naïve. Despite being cold to her a while ago, I felt uncomfortable leaving her with vague clues. She seems pitiful in that letter she sent.

 

While my mind is debating what to do (whether to reveal to Miss Carmen that there is someone waiting for her and looking after her all this time, or stay silent and allow her to figure it out), my feet brought me back to our class room. After realization that I am in front of our classroom, suddenly there’s something in me that hoped that MyungSoo has not left. The door is not locked yet as it is slightly closed only and then I heard a sound inside. Definitely there’s someone inside.

I became nervous as I slowly moved my head to peek inside between the doors.

Without warning, my heart seemed to have pounded a little after seeing who it was in the classroom. He was busy playing on his phone, as usual.

Why didn’t he leave? Was he waiting for me? Nah, impossible. I told him to go home already, didn’t I?

Despite the questions in my head, one thing is sure. I know that somehow, I felt comforted. Usually, when I told someone to go, even though I don’t want them to but just can’t bring myself to say it, he/she would just leave.

“Oh-, Ice face. Is that you?” He finally noticed me behind the door.

I heard him walk nearer and then opened the door wider.

“How long have you been standing there? What did Miss Carmen say to you?”

Oops. I totally forgot.

“About that… uhm, can you wait a little? I’ll just…go see Sir Louis. It will be real quick!”

I dashed towards the fourth floor where I know Sir Louis would be. He must be currently teaching detention class right now.

As soon as I got to meet him, I felt a little doubtful about telling him how Miss Carmen feels right now. Nevertheless, I ended up only giving him the address of the usual beer house where Miss Carmen goes, and told him, “you should go and see her right this moment.”

 

MyungSoo must be waiting right now so I quickened my footsteps going back to the classroom. I told him that I will be real quick but I actually took fifteen minutes already.

 

Seconds later…

I saw an incident that I regretted seeing, that I must not have witnessed.

For the very first time, I saw MyungSoo’s most pitiful side.

 

He was crying. He was begging--- begging Krystal while kneeling in front of her.

I want to cry for him. He was too pitiful. Krystal told him to go away but as she turned her back and about to take a step away, MyungSoo caught her foot and hold onto her so she couldn’t leave.

“Krystal, can’t we just start over? Naegamianhaeso.Naegachalmottaeseo! Chebal~ Come back to me!”

As if disgusted at MyungSoo, Krystal shook the leg that MyungSoo was hugging and as soon as she freed her leg, she flee three meters away from the crying-MyungSoo.

I could not stand it anymore. Why is she treating MyungSoo like some kind of puppy that she can just kick and leave in the streets (or hallway)?

I am so mad that I couldn’t hold it anymore so I interrupted.

“Yah!MyungSoo!” I yelled and my voice echoed in the almost empty hallway.

 

Both of them are now aware of my presence and also have the same facial expression upon realization of who interrupted their conversation.

“I am so hurt right now. Why are you begging for her to come back when you have me?”

I know what I am about to say is pure lie but… ugh, whatever!

“I…” I swallowed the lump in my throat and for the last minute, tried to gather more courage. “will never hurt you. I will never leave you…I’ll take care of you, even if you are childish. Or stubborn, arrogant, and rude. I…”

For some reason, I want to make Krystal regret that’s why I am saying this.

“…am gonna love…you, more than how she did.”

I’m gonna make her realize how important and precious this person is, this person that she pushed away as if their two years of being together did not matter even a bit.

 

---------------------------------------

ONE HOUR AND 50 MINUTES TO GO.

 

I’m glad.

I’m happy about what I said because it certainly made an impact. After that ‘impromptu pretence’ Krystal walked away and I swore I saw how she held back ‘something’. I can’t really tell whether that look in her eyes was anger or sadness/regret but I’m sure she was trying hard to hold back her tears.

 

MyungSoo, on the other hand, is still on the floor with his head down.

I approached him, bent to the floor, and took my handkerchief in my pocket in intent to wipe his tears. However,

“Leave me alone.”

“Muh?”

“I said leave me alone.” For the first time, his voice sounded with seriousness and demanding even though he spoke quite calmly. I know the best thing to do right now is allow him to be alone but, I can’t help myself ---I want to comfort him in any way possible. I just stood there, not moving from this spot, as I squeeze the handkerchief in my grasp.

It’s like he understood that I am not going anywhere for he just lift himself up and stared at me with menacing eyes.

Wae? Why is he getting mad at me?

“Don’t ever do that again,” he said then he entered in our classroom not even looking back at me. I was frozen, I couldn’t move. Why? Did I do something wrong?

After a few seconds, I heard him say, “Go home. Your parents might blame me if you go home pass your curfew.”

 

He was right. It’s getting dark outside.

Keundae…will be alright? He’s heart broken right now and we’re in the third floor, what if he throws his body outside the window?

I could not help myself from worrying. So, in the end, I just sat there in the hallway, waiting for him to come out.

 

-----------------------

One Hour And Ten Minutes Later.

 

I opened my eyes after realizing that I was asleep. However, when I opened my eyes, I could hardly see anything. My eyes took a few seconds to get used to the darkness. It’s almost pitch-black if only the moon is not full tonight. I stared at the long hallway and just then has everything sank into my realization that there’s no one else but me in this hallway and because the lights are all out I was sure that I got locked up in the school building. I raised my fist to look at my watch and saw that the long hand is pointed at the number 8 while the small one is in the middle of 7 and 8.

It’s 7:42pm. Oetteokhae? Wait, where’s my phone?

I tapped my pockets only to find out that I don’t have my phone with me. Omo…mom, dad! They’re going to kill me. I needed to send them a text message at least. Then I remembered my phone is in my bag and my bag is in the classroom. Without hesitations, I opened the door to our classroom. When it opened, my eyes immediately found my bag on the desk in the far corner of the room. I quickly ran to my desk and dig into my bag. At last, my phone is in my hand. I was about to turn it on when suddenly, I heard a sound. No, a yawn.

I was frozen on my spot. Sh*t, I mouthed silently.

I totally forgot, but after seeing the person on the opposite corner of the room, I remembered that I was actually waiting for him an hour ago. Is he okay already? Omo, is he still mad at me?

He stretched out his arms then yawned again with closed eyes. The moment that he opened his eyes, I wanted to hide under the desk but I couldn’t move.

Judging from how his eyes widened, I was certain that he is fully aware of me being in the classroom and perhaps remembered as well about what happened a while ago.

Ohh. Ignore him, JiAe. Quick, your phone.

I pressed the power button. Then pressed it again, and again. What’s wrong with this? Ugh, andwae! Its battery is empty!

Just then had I felt that I needed to talk to MyungSoo because I’m mentally panicking already about the fact that my parents are going to kill me if I don’t go home tonight without any text message about why I can’t go home.

I awkwardly smiled at MyungSoo, “Ahh, MyungSoo-ah~” I tried my best to sound very friendly and perhaps sweet. “Can I… borrow your handphone?” However, he only tilted his head while raising an eyebrow. God, he’s making it hard for me.

I drew nearer to him, inhaled then exhaled heavily, gathering my courage and maintaining my mood.

“Pleeease?”

He sighed then crossed his arms on his chest, still with judging eyes. “Dance.”

“What?”

“Dance for me.”

I fell silent for a moment, trying to process what he just requested. Upon realization, blood rushed to my head not out of embarrassment but utter annoyance.

“Dancing is completely unrelated here.” I closed my eyes to get better control of my tone of voice. “MyungSoo, just let me borrow your phone so we can go home peacefully.” I said with gritted teeth.

 

In the dark, I felt as if he was smirking as he spoke, “Aish, dance first, so we can get this done quick and go home peacefully.”

Argh. Die, you monster! Huhuhu.Oetteokhae…

Uhh. Whatever! Come what may!

Though I know very well that I don’t dance, I tried my best to do the basics. That is, sway to the left, swing to the right, bang my head, throw my hands in the air, shake my hips, and---

 

“What are you doing?”

“Dancing.”

“You call that dancing?”

“W-wae? Wait, are you being choosy now? You told me to dance and so I did. Now, hand me your phone.”

He took his phone from his pocket and to be really sure, I quickly snatched it from his hands.

I immediately dialled my mom’s phone number.

However, to my frustration, it didn’t connect. No, it couldn’t, because there’s no signal. For God’s sake! Why did this happen? I mean, in the daylight the signal here is alright.

Since this phone is of no use anymore, I handed it back to MyungSoo, which puzzled him.

“Why? Are you done with it?”

“There’s no signal.”

“Ehhhh?”

My energy is almost drained after finding out that there’s no more hope but to stay here until morning. My knees suddenly hurt, so I allow myself to sit on the floor with my back against the wall.

“Aist, what’s wrong with this? Is this thing broken?” He was hitting the phone against his palm, thinking that it might help.

“Yah. Stop hitting it or you might really break it.”

*yawn*

“Aish, we got no choice then.” I said before allowing sleep to take over me.

 

My consciousness was about to sink into deep sleep when I heard MyungSoo say something.

“JiAe. Are you sleeping already?”

“JiAe. Say something.”

“Yah, JiAe. Can’t you move a bit closer?”

I didn’t speak, still pretending I am already asleep.

“Then can I move there?” Instantly, I was alarmed.

“Op! Don’t you even dare.

 

Yah! MyungSoo!”

The next thing I knew he is already on my lap. I was a bit taken aback when I looked down and he winked at me.

 

 

“Yaaaaaahhhh! Get offffff!”

 

 

 

End of the Chapter.

 

-----------------------------------------