Anonymy

The Date Proposal: Official Debut of the Anonymous

------------

Chapter 1 - Anonymy

 

Hi. I am the anonymous school's magazine journalist. Though you’re not interested, I will tell yah how I ended up becoming one.

Ever since I was in elementary I already wanted to be writer. In sixth grade, I achieved my little dream of becoming our elementary school paper’s chief editor. I was in a province back then. After my graduation, my parents migrated to this city and I started high school and immediately applied for the school paper, and guess what? They rejected me. Ouch. Really ouch! I was the chief editor and they just rejected me. I took that rejection as a challenge. I took pictures, listened to rumors and confirmed them, and even witnessed all school events. I gathered all the data and put them into articles, then sent them anonymously to the Journalism Club. Of course, I didn’t forget to write my phone number. They called and said they liked my articles. I was even asked to join the club. You might think joining the club really is my motive, but you’re wrong. I just plainly and simply wanted to write. Guess what? I turned their offer down. [Ha! Take that!]

Instead, I was the one who offered them one.

 

So here I am-- an anonymous school magazine writer. None of my schoolmates (that includes the journalism Club) knew who I am, really, for the past three years. Well, except for a dear friend. Of course never forget a very important character in every story – the protagonist’s best friend. In my life, her name is Nam Ji Hyun. She’s quite famous as a cosplayer. She is tall, pinkish skin, and long hair with beautiful curls. Perfect.

 

“So how many letters this time?” JiHyun sat down and turned around to talk to me. We are in our classroom and her seat is located in front of mine which is in the last row near the window. The teacher is not yet around. You know what most people say, first day (of school) is always a no class day. Erm, not actually true to some very strict teachers, you know, terror ones.

 

“About ten I guess.” I shrugged. I am sort of in deep thoughts right now.

“Wow, that’s quite many for the first day of school. Last year, you received four and the other year, there was only three…” She was busy remembering with her fingers counting. But I don’t really care right now about those ten letters. I need to…

 

“Yoo Ji Ae, are you listening?” She snapped.

“About what? Ow, the letters. I did receive four last year and three the other year. So this year I got… ten.”

“Aish! That’s not what I just said!” She lightly hit my arm out of slight annoyance to my inattentiveness.

“Ok, sorry. I was thinking about something else. So… what are you talking about again?” I tried to look sincere.

“I said, have you already talked to your parents about your sleepover to my house tomorrow night?” She knew my parents are very strict about curfew hours. They don’t want me out of the house later than 7pm.

“No, I forgot to inform them. Sorry again.” I said honestly and sorta awkwardly said sorry again.

“Doesn’t matter, just don’t forget tonight.” She turned her back to get her phone but remembered something and turned back around to face me.

“What were you thinking a while ago?” She creased her forehead with suspicious eyes. “Or up to now?” she continued as she teasingly wiggled her eyebrows at me.

 

I stared at her for some seconds as I think carefully. What I am about to reveal is very crucial and I bet this must be said in a more secret place. I brought her in the girl’s restroom and luckily no one was there. I exhaled and focused my gaze at JiHyun. That’ll give her the idea that this is total secrecy.

 

“I am writing an… article”

“Yes, go on…” she bit her lower lip out of excitement.

“and it’s about… ‘how the boys think’.”

 

There I said it. You might think this is not much of a big deal but… for Jane… oh no. Wait for it…wait for it… in five, four, three, two… I covered my ears tightly and ---

 

“KYAAAAAHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!

 

Oh sh*t, I was too late. She just shouted at the top of her lungs. In the restroom! Her voice is still ringing in my ears.

 

“SHH! Students might hear you!” I covered her little mouth too late after that deafening voice of hers; but just in case she shouts or should I say squeal again.

 

“OMG, Yoo Ji Ae! That’s a brilliant concept! I bet the girls will really be excited with it and the boys will really be MORE excited to meet you, The Legendary Miss Anonymy!! Kyaaah~” Her smile is reaching her ears and her voice sounded like a dolphin.

Yes, you read it right. I am the legendary Miss Anonymy. That's my pseudonym. Anonymy. From the term anonymous. But wait a minute. WHAT?  Boys? Excited to meet me? I mean, why would boys be excited? To meet me? Who says I was going to meet them?!

 

“Who says I am going to meet them?!” I repeated the thought with my mouth.

“Huh? Why not?” She’s more confused than disappointed.

“Why yes?” I asked her back.

“Of course you need to meet them! How are you supposed to gather data? Boys' thoughts are your subjects and boys are your sources. What else means can you think to be able to write the article?! If I were you, I would really meet them. It’s the best option.”

 

She got a point.

 

 

-------

Later that night.

 

After having dinner, I decided to watch a bit of drama.

>Marco…don’t leave me…= the TV.=*

>I will not leave you, Rose. I’ll always watch over you from up there.== =*=

 

“Eyyy. It’s the same. He’s still leaving her.”

“Yep. Correct, darling.”

Argh. These two old farts.

“Yah! Mom! Dad! Since when have you been there?!” I turned around to find them sitting at the back with popcorn.

 

“Just…now.” Mom.

“JiAe, you’re blocking the TV screen.” Dad.

Aiiiissssh! This will be the only time for me to watch tv and yet…iiisssh! These drama addicts

I stomped my feet on the floor as I stood up to leave the sala.

 

“Ah JiAe. Have you filled up your application form?”

“I already did mom! I’m going to sleep! Aish! Good night!”

 

“Goodnight, sweetie!”

 

-------------------------

 

When I was about to close my eyes, ready to sleep...

 

You’re so pretty when you cry, when you cry

Wasn’t ready to hear you

Say goodbye

Now you’re tearin--

[phone ringing…]

 

“Hello?” I said on the phone, slightly irritated by the sudden call.

“Oh hello miss Anonymy Sweetie… How is your first day of school?”

“Stop sounding like my mother, Yook SungJae. What do you want?!” Annoyance obvious in my tone.

Yook SungJae.. He’s a half chinese actually. He has the eyes and pale white skin like that of a Chinese. With glasses on, he’s currently the school paper chief editor. Without glasses? I don’t know. I heard that he transforms into someone else.

“Gee, you don’t have to be so straight-forward. You’re hurting my ears.”

“Never cared. Just, why did you call at this hour?”

“At this hour? It’s just ten in the evening.”

“Yes, and you know it’s my sleeping time! So, goodb—.”

“WAIT! Don’t. Don’t hang up. I was just wondering if you are still IN with the school paper. You know…because, he’s gone already…and…”

Ah, he probably thought I am no longer getting myself involved with the school magazine since the person I had a deal with already graduated in our school. SungJae was just an editorial editor back then.

“I am currently busy with the letters.” I half-lied. Should I tell him about the concept I was thinking about?

“Oh letters still keep coming huh?” He paused a bit then continued, “So are you still IN or OUT?

“I was thinking about…”

I paused a bit for a thrill.

“What? What are you thinking about?!”

Ouch. Ahhh, my ear!

“Yah, don’t shout! And let me finish!”

I closed my eyes. Yeah, maybe it’s alright to tell him since he’s the chief ed and he can be a good source since he is a boy also. Duh, don’t sound like this concept really is like a big deal, Ji Ae. Like duh?

“How or what boys think, Boys’ Inclination, or Inside Boys’ mind; Pick your title.” I told him too straightforwardly. I hope he’ll catch fast. I don’t want to explain further.

“Oh! That’s a very good idea! Brilliant! Nice job, Anonymy. I will immediately arrange a column for that. Make sure to finish the first article by the end of October. Kay, bye-bye Nimi.”

He hunged up and didn’t even bother asking what will be article like. Great leadership chief ed. And Nimi?! Did he just give me a nickname? I mean…my pseudonym a nickname?

Er, never mind. Anyway, what did SungJae say again? October? I need to finish the article in two months. Gosh. I still have time, right? RIGHT? Oh my, am I panicking? That’s two freaking months!

 

My brain cells are wide awake again. Gosh, how am I supposed to sleep tonight?! Oh, curse that Chinese zombie for waking me up.

----------------------------

Since I am already not sleepy, thanks to SungJAe, might as well reply some letters?

 

Hi miss Anonymy. I am new in this school, a freshman. Today’s first day of school and I heard rumors about you giving advice through letters. You see, I just had a love-at-first-sight experience. My classmate, Diane. She’s really amazing and beautiful. And she’s my seatmate. I tried speaking to her but I just can’t…I stutter too much out of nervousness.

- Boy in love (at first sight)

 

Aww… how cute! I wonder who this little freshmen kiddo is. And he has a huge bigtime crush on dear Diane? Hmm, let me see… what advice… oh! Anyway, this one’s quite common so maybe this’ll work.

Dear Boy in love(at first sight)…blah blah blah

Kay, next!

Hello. Mic check one, two. Hello hello. Is it sh*t real? Can you find me a partner to sleep with?

- Mr.Shirtless

Argh, here we go again. Mr. Shirtless has been sending letters like this. He sent me his first letter last year. With a note, ‘are you cute? Can we meet? I feel good tonight. Errrrr….EEWWWWW. Goosebumps. YUCK. I kept ignoring his letters so that he stops but it’s the opposite. The more I ignore him, the more he sends more letters. Okay, this means I’m really gonna  give him a reply – a big NO, period!!! Oh I forgot I had to be nice.

Dear Mr. Shirtless…blah blah blah

Ryt. Next letter.

Hi Anonymy. I really find it hard to get to your locker just to send this letter because I feel embarrassed to, you know, seek advice to someone that I don’t even know. But I guess I just need to give it a go since I had no one to talk to about my problems because my bestfriend just stole my boyfriend. Pls help. Oh and… pls, can this letter-sending be more modern and electronic? Can’t you tell me your email ad instead in your reply? Thnks.

- Miserable Me

 

Oh I think sleep is visiting me… Lemme just give this a quick reply.

Dear Miserable You, considering the pseudonym you used, I think you should be less pessimistic. You are not in total misery…blah blah blah

About the e-mail letter sending, I will give it a thought. Don’t worry. But I’m not sure to give my e-ad too soon yet. Sorry.

 

YES! One last letter!!! “Yey…” I tried to throw my hands in the air but to no avail, I am just so drowsy now. Olryt, focus! Last one, this is the last one letter

Hey Anonymy, quit this crap. It’s not helping at all. You gave my girlfriend a sh*tty advice and now we’re over. You …

 

I am sleeeepy…al-reeeeeeaady. Ugh, I’ll finish this tom because I’m –

 

 zzzzzzzzZZZZZZZZZZ…..

=_=


 

--------------

HOLY!!!!!!!!! I am so late!!!!!!!!!! I quickly grabbed the letters and speed up to the kitchen, ate breakfast, then head straight to school.

In the Classroom, I sat on my seat near the window.

Second day of school. UGH. Still no teachers? Really? Eh? Jane is… absent? That’s…new.

Anyway, I need to reply to that last letter. Where is it, where is it~~ I was singing in my head.

 

After three minutes.

 

OH. MY. GOD. HELP ME!!!!! The letter…it’s… waaaaah!!! JiHyun-ah!!, where the hell are you?!!!!! I looked at the paper on my hand again,

 

Hey Anonymy, quit this crap. It’s not helping at all. You gave my girlfriend a sh*tty advice and now we’re over. You … are so gonna pay for this. BTW, I know who you are. YJ, be prepared.

 

I crumpled the paper and quickly took my things. All I can think about is to head straight home. Somebody… Someone is going to kill me.

 

 

 

 

 

A/N: SORRY FOR THE GRAMMAR ERRORS AND MISUSED WORDS. ENGLISH IS NOT MY PRIMARY LANGUAGE. PLEASE UNDERSTAND, BUT FEEL FREE TO CORRECT THEM! I JUST RECENTLY FINALIZED THE CHARACTER NAMES ALREADY, SO...JUST COMMENT OR PM ME IF I MISSED ONE NAME THAT I FORGOT TO CHANGE. IF U SEE THE NAME ELLA, IGNORE IT. IT'S NO LONGER JI AE'S NICKNAME.

 

 

 

End of the Chapter.

 

*Note: You might have notice that Yoo Ji Ae receives many letters for her advices. This had started as letters of admiration and appreciation from her fans during her sophomore years but later, the students started asking for advices from her, initially girls then the shy boys.

Wait, wasn’t I supposed to reveal this through the story? Ai, baka baka!