Love

Fervor
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

I love reading all of your comments, they're very encouraging, thank you and enjoy!

 

14. Love 

 

Time passes by quickly when you are in love, especially in the case of this man who had started loving after a very tough and challenging period of his life and this woman who had loved all her life, even though love hadn’t always done justice for her. He was powerful and didn’t waver much any longer, but behind the new strong kind of personality he had built- was a woman, as powerful, or even more than him. People looked at her like she was a tiny, little girl who bears no knowledge of life, but truth was entirely different. Her age couldn’t make up for her wisdom, not in a thousand years. She was the reason behind a cold and heartless person transforming into a love sickened young man. She was the one who had taught him love and the value of family and friends in one’s life. All this because she was the only one who understood him and showed him the right path, when no other could. She made him feel alive, important and most of all cherished.

 

It was difficult in the beginning when she often nagged him about opening up, but once he complied; every pain in his heart started reliving little by little. He was no longer that afraid of his past coming back to haunt him, because now his fears have changed. They were fears of losing her, of her getting tired, giving up and leaving him to his old life-style. Both have insecurities, but he must be the one with the most. For him, losing her is not just about a bond breaking; It’s like losing a lover, a best friend, a guardian. It’s like losing the one who gives you shelter and comfort. She is his home, she provides all necessities in life. His heart is afraid to turn cold, because he doesn’t wish to live like a heartless jerk again. He wants to keep her till death do them apart, or even then will he sneak out of hell and go find her in heaven.

 

She has become this important to him in the span of four months- which is infact witty and scary. Maybe that’s just the side effect of not loving for a long time; When you first find somebody to love, you’ll be attached too fast, too painfully and you wouldn’t want to let go, ever. He is scared there will be a day where she’ll tell him off, and every time such thoughts cross his mind, his mood gets sour and they start fighting. A week for them cannot pass without having a quarrel, and sometimes it is him who starts the fights, but most of the time, it is her. There are times when his angry mood, dominant and threatening personality sets her off, and when she voices her opinions on this- a fight breaks out.

 

 At some point they are this lovely couple who looks like they’ve been married for years, but other times it looks like they could reach out and pull each other’s hair any moment. No relationship or bond for that sake comes without quarrels after all. But the pros of fighting, is that when they leave after a fight, they realize how much they mean to each other. When deprivation and remorse fill them- that’s when they see what kind of love is binding the two. Their love is painful, tiring and troublesome, but at the same time it is also beautiful, enjoyable and amusing. They’re in total one heck of a messed up couple, but as long as both are patient, they will make progress and become better.

 

Just like the man, the woman also has her insecurities. There are insecurities about him leaving her too. None can blame the woman- since her man has a reputation like that after all- he leaves after pleasure. And as much as she believes and puts her trust in him, she never lets him get too far with her- and surprisingly, he respects that. He understands what he has caused her after forcing himself on her the night he made his confession, that’s why he never pushes her to go further than what she thinks she is capable of. They’ll kiss, they’ll make out, but just when one make-out session is on the edge of becoming something more, both will pull back. That’s like a silent agreement between the two; They will not go further until she says so. She is thankful he understands, his understanding must be the reason why she hasn’t given up yet. She’ll keep him as long as he respects and values her decisions.

 

Alongside this couple, was another subsisting couple: her friend, his friend. Young Saeng and Haera’s relationship was more like the “normal” kind of relationship. They had balance, unlike Hyun Joong and Somin. Since both parties were patient creatures with little anger- they were working out just fine. It had been hard in the beginning, because Haera would not accept Young Saeng. She was brought up with strict rules about males after all, but in the end of their fourth week of having “courter and neglecter” relationship, she finally gave in and accepted him. Although she didn’t like him or feel attracted to him at first, she eventually grew fond of him and his attention-seeking ways. They often laughed about how Young Saeng had forced himself into Haera and Somin's dorm on a certain night, and of other memories from the neglecting period.

 

To Haera, Young Saeng was a caring and honest boyfriend who shared most of his days with her, and for him, she was like a little, beautiful and pure being in his arms. They felt strong connection to each other ultimately, and it could almost be said that they never fought. 

 

Now to their friends and what was going on with them. Not long after Hyun Joong and Somin decided to give their relationship another chance, did the three girls find out the truth about the whole of East Coast Youngsters; Kim Kyu Jong, Park Jung Min and also the sweetest Kim Hyung Jun was of the same group as Hyun Joong and Young Saeng. They accidentally found out one night when all of them were outside for a get-together. It happened fast, the girls only remember gunshots going off in the distance, and then suddenly all four guys present pulled out their guns as people started running back and forth in fear. Somin remembered how her boyfriend dumped her in a car nearby and strictly told her to not get out before he comes back to get her. Haera could only recall Young Saeng shouting her name and catching her before she fell to the ground, whereas, Mira….. Mira was drunk; she remembered nothing, so her friends had to fill her in the day after. 

 

After that incident, they were more open to each other- now that identities were revealed. The three girls also found out about the main law of East Coast by searching about it on the internet: “If anyone finds out about your position in this organization, they must be killed.” They also learned from the boys that no one in this century actually cared about the law; Everybody from the under groups had family and friends who knew of their identity, and as long as the Head doesn’t find out, everything will fine. Though, they were still strictly told not to share information, if they did- they’d have to face death- that was the threat of Park Jung Min, which scared them more than enough. Not in a hundred years will they open their mouths to another person.

 

They also learned the brilliance of the organization. It operated with many things, and in every place was an informer planted. They had their people in police offices, in banks, in hospitals, in airports and embassies, literally everywhere. The main reason East Coast valued education- was so East Coasters could plant themselves in the respected fields. For example was Hyun Joong and Kyu Jong taking bachelor in business management, just so they could get into banks and corrupt the system under raiding. Education was also beneficial, so that they could be seen as “normal” and not suspicious people who lived with income that came from “unknown activities”. One could say East Coast’s Head were masterminds; after all, the organization had prevailed for centuries now.

 

At present time, Jung Somin is located in the dancing studio- where she still takes up one class each week. Dance practice has shifted from being on Tuesdays, to Fridays, which is in fact alright for the student who loves dancing and ending the week with two hours of doing her favourite hobby. 

 

“Thank you, have a nice weekend!” Somin smiles to her dance instructor who is leaving whilst gulping down all of the water she has left in her bottle. She is thirsty, she is tired, but more than that she is happy it’s finally weekend and she’ll have no work, so she could sleep and be lazy for two days straight!

 

“Unnie, aren’t you leaving?” She asked her assigned dancing- partner who was sitting in the corner, sweaty.

 

“I am waiting for my boyfriend. It’s raining so I asked him to pick me up.”

 

“You asked or demanded?” Somin friend, who was soon to be married.

 

“Aissht, you don’t understand gurl” She flicked her fingers in front of her own face “It’s not called demanding, it’s called “holding the guy in your palm”!” Seo Hyun closed her palm, as if portraying how it should be done.

 

“That is ridiculous, why would you hold him in your palms? I’d rather hold his hand!”

 

“Oh sweetie, you’ll understand soon. I too used to be like you, young and naïve.”

 

“Unnie, you’re talking like you’re an old ahjumma!”

 

Seo Hyun rolled her eyes and mumbled an incoherent “whatever”. “Where is your boyfriend?” She asks curiously with raised eyebrows. Somin had told her about Hyun Joong a long time ago, but the two of them hadn’t got to meet yet, not even after Seo Hyun’s endless nagging about exactly that. Simply because Hyun Joong never had come to pick Somin from the studio. Either he didn’t have time, or he purposely didn’t want to come. Not like she wanted him to anyways, she was perfectly fine with a relaxing bus ride that would work down on her exhaustion.

 

“I don’t know.” Somin replied honestly. She doesn’t know where that douchebag is, and as much as she wanted to, she wouldn’t, because she still remembered the disagreement they had last week. Exactly one week ago, Hyun Joong had left Somin in his apartment after driving his fist into the mirror, angry as hell. He hadn’t contacted her after that, neither had she. It was all a competition on who had the most pride.

 

“Seriously girl?” Seo Hyun puffed her cheeks “That’s what I am saying, you got to lock him in your palms!”

 

“Whatever Unnie, I am going now.”

 

“Alright, bye” She blew a kiss, to which the youngest giggled and waved swiftly, before putting on her jacket and grabbing her umbrella.

 

The cold breeze outside was something to worry about. It made her shudder and clatter her teeth, especially since she was wearing thin clothing underneath her rain-jacket. She opened up the umbrella- thinking it could shield her from both the rain and the wind- which it unfortunately couldn’t. Surprise Surprise. 

 

Somin pulled out her phone to check the time. 08.04 PM, which meant she had exactly six minutes to reach her next bus, or else she will have to wait for another 30 minutes.

 

No waste of time, she thought and started hurrying, and not until she spotted a figure walking towards her did she stop. First, her heart started beating loudly and she panicked. Then the street lights shined over his face and she fell at ease. Her heart was still beating loudly, but of anger this time.

 

His warm hand grabbed her arm and pulled her to him. She scowled like a displeased child, but did still hold her umbrella high, so that it could cover both of them, even though he was soaked- he didn’t care about the rain, he never did.

 

“Hey.” He greeted with a hoarse, tired voice and cradled her face in his hands. She didn’t reply, wasn’t intending on anyways. He figured out, so he leaned forwards to her face- to use another greeting method.

 

Somin rejected his greeting by turning her face, so that his lips landed on her cheek instead of . Hyun Joong knows he deserves it, so instead of scowling back, he shrugged and started moving his mouth over her face instead. He has missed her, so much. He craves her, always.

 

Somin is melting little by little because of the small kisses, filled with deprivation, being planted on her face. She lets him struggle. He kisses her temple before he moves to her eyelid and travels down her cheek and to her jaw. On her jaw, he moves back and forth- up and down, giving her feather-like kisses, but she doesn’t lose her façade. She can’t, not so fast.

 

Hmpf, not forgiving you!

 

“Still angry?” He asks her, even though he knows the answer. Of course I am angry. You don’t leave your girlfriend for a whole week without contact. That only shows you don’t care about me. That only shows you are ignorant and selfish!

 

He cups her chin inbetween his thumb and fore finger to turn around her face, so that they are facing each other. Eye to eye. “Come on Somin, talk to me.” A cold shoulder is his best punishment; he hates it when she gives him the blank, emotionless face! There he is dying to hear her voice, and here she is not willing to talk at all. Even though he had been away for a week, he couldn’t stop thinking about her. It was driving him insane, and now that he had finished his work, he mustered up the courage to come back to her. Only to receive this huh? Not fair.

 

“Baby I-“

 

“Excuse me,” She opens and lets out a formal reply “You are blocking my way, could you please move aside? I need to get home.” As much as she wants to burst out laughing because of her perfect act, she closes in a thin line and blocks the giggling. Oh my god, I am such an actress! I could’ve been a Hollywood star!

 

Hyun Joong rolls his eyes, he can see her act coming to an end very soon. “I’ll take you home”

 

“No need mister. I am perfectly fine with riding the bus.”

 

He shakes his head, a smile now forming on his face. She is such a brat! “But I am not fine with it. I’d like to take what’s mine home and enjoy this very beautiful night with her.”

 

Somin scoffs irritably. Beautiful huh? Not really, it’s cold for God’s sakes! And he is making her even colder by blocking her way. And she is sure she lost the bus now also because of him! And Haera will be worried because she won’t be home on time, unless she decided to spend the night over at Young Saeng’s.

 

There is only one way she’ll forgive her boyfriend. “Tell her what you did wrong first.”

 

“Ugh!” Hyun Joong groans. “I am sorry okay?”

 

“No” Somin is strict, like an English teacher “Tell me what you did wrong.”

 

 

“Well……” He brushes his hand through his wet hair, he hates it when she wants him to voice his wrongdoings. It’s the worst of all. It’s even worse than actually having to apologize. “I yelled at you.”

 

“And?”

 

“I scared you and left.”

 

“What more?” She presses on, heck there is a lot more he did wrong, so he better be aware of that!

 

“Seriously?”

 

“Yes.”

 

“I didn’t talk to you for a week?”

 

“Right,” Somin bit inside of her cheek, a bile was forming in . The past week has been tough. It felt like eternity since they last saw each other. She has to admit she missed him and can’t wait to announce that he is forgiven.

 

“And I am sorry” Hyun Joong finishes off.

 

“Okay, you are forgiven.” A smile breaks out on her face before she lunges at him. With her arms locked around his neck, and his hands caressing her head and waist- everything seems perfect. Their worlds wham into one, satisfaction and happiness coming out in the form of giggles and chuckles.

 

“I missed you” She whispers into his chest. It doesn’t matter if she is getting soaked by his wet clothes. It doesn’t matter if it’s making her cold, because he is there. He’ll warm her heart just with his words.

 

“I missed you more” He mumbles into the embrace.

 

“Hmm, that is discussable” 

 

“No more discussions” He states tiredly. Discussions and arguments with her are the worst, because she never shuts up. It’s like her pride will lessen if she is the one to declare that the discussion is over.

 

Somin nods, agreeing completely. They don’t need another quarrel right away. Then suddenly she remembers another important thing. “How is your hand?” The way he had shattered the mirror and walked out with blood dripping from his knuckles was very bad, so she was worried about his bruise.

 

“It’s good” Hyun Joong replies nonchalantly. His hand doesn’t matter right now. He is in the perfect position with her.

 

“Let me see” Somin tries pulling back, to see his hand, but he locks her in his embrace, not yet ready to let go.

 

“It’s fine. You can see later.”

 

Somin jumps back when she hears Seo Hyun’s loud voice and shoes clicking in the water. “Jasmine is that you?”

 

She turns around in a snap and tries prying Hyun Joong’s hands off her waist when Seo Hyun walks over to their spot. “Oh Unnie, yeah!” 

 

“Are you alright?”

 

“Yes!”

 

“Weren’t you-“ She didn’t continue when her eyes fell on the man standing quietly beside her dance-partner. He was clothed in dark colours only, but his face was damn good despite the heavy eye bags. “Who is this?”

 

“Uh uh……” Somin started searching for the right words. “This is Hyun Joong, and Hyun Joong this is Seo Hyun Unnie.”

 

Awkward, was what Somin wanted to yell out when Seo Hyun bowed 90 degrees excitedly and grinned widely. “Oh, Anyong Haseyo Hyun Joong sshi!” 

 

Hyun Joong bowed back politely, but not as excited as the woman and Somin only laughed nervously when her dance-partner started babbling about how much she had wanted to see Somin’s boyfriend for so long and how he must take care of her and blah blah blah.

 

“Unnie isn’t that your fiancée?!” Somin almost jumped to the sky of happiness when she recognized Seo Hyun’s fiancée waiting for her in his car. She had seen him before, so she was sure it was him.

 

Seo Hyun turned around to confirm it was him, and then bowed eagerly once again “I should get going then. It was nice to meet you Hyun Joong sshi! Take care Jasmine!”

 

“You too Unnie!”

 

When Seo Hyun rushed away, Somin breathed out thankfully. This woman could had revealed too much!

 

“You talk so much about me huh?” He questioned her playfully when they were heading to his car, but she denied and fell asleep as soon as she placed her bum on the seat. She didn’t remember anything of the car ride, or whether they had conversed or not. The only thing she knows is that when her eyes opened, she was in his apartment, in his comfy couch.

 

Somin stretched her arms when her phone ringed loudly. She picked it out of her pocket and pressed the receive button without looking at the number. At the same time, Hyun Joong walked out of the kitchen with a glass of water- for her. He knows she is exhausted, so he plans on feeding her and sending her directly to bed.

 

“Hello?” Her voice is drowsy and tired.

 

There is a woman on the other side of the line. “Somin?”

 

“Hi mom,” She greets her mother, whom she hadn’t talked to in a long time.

 

“Somin, my baby, how are you?” Her mother’s new kind of affection swells her heart. It is like she had received more love from the mother while being away, than what she had when they lived together. Distance teaches you to value yours after all.

 

“I’m good mom” She sniffs in happiness. Her mother’s voice brings her good joy. Mother, good or bad, cannot be replaced. “How about you and dad and Unnie?”

 

“We are also fine honey, just missing you.”

 

“Oh,” Somin is surprised, this must be exactly the third time she is hearing that after she moved country. “I miss you guys too, what are you doing?”<

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter