The Choice

A Second Chance

 

Yeo Reum is dead. She jumped off the ledge of the school roof and died. Or is she, really?

 

Actually, she has entered the afterlife and is now facing a trial. So, she's not spiritually dead, just…physically dead.

 

Anyways, Yeo Reum was standing in an endless meadow, with three angel-like people in front of her and a dark figure sitting on a throne, but his face cannot be seen.

 

"Ah, seriously! Another suicide from Saegwang High School!" One angel said. "That high school should be shut down, or just get rid of their troublemakers!"

 

"I agree!" The Angel next to him said. "We should just send any other suicides from that school to the Endless Meadow!" The Angel pointed to the meadow in front of them, as Yeo Reum shuddered.

 

The dark figure gestured to the third angel to go to him. The Angel went to him and the dark figure whispered something in his ear and gave him a scroll. The Angel nodded and went back to his place.

 

"Everyone, silence!" He said. "The emperor has spoken!"

 

The Angels stopped talking and straightened up. The third Angel faced Yeo Reum.

 

"Yeo Reum-ssi." He began. "What caused you to end your life is something 90 students from Saegwang High School had in common: a bully, or a hardship." Yeo Reum nodded.

 

"Well, unlike the other students, the emperor wants to give you a choice, rather than send to the Land of Mourning." Yeo Reum looked left and saw a black pit. She also heard shrieks and cries from the pit, which made her jump a little.

 

"What is the choice?" She asked carefully.

 

The Angel pulled out the scroll from the emperor and cleared his throat:

 

"Kwon Yeo Reum has deeply touched me with her sad high school life, although it is no different than any other high school student's life—"

 

"100% true!" The first Angel said. The third Angel looked at him, and the first Angel straightened up and went silent as the third Angel continued.

 

"So, because of this touching story, I have decided to show kindness and will give her a choice: Choose to go into the Endless Meadow, or…

 

Get a second chance at life, where you can start over again and fix whatever faults you've had in your life."

 

Yeo Reum at first was dumbfounded. A second chance?! That was only something she saw in the movies, or in dramas.

 

"A…second chance, you say?" She asked. The Angel smiled and quickly said, "You must decide in 5 minutes, starting…NOW!"

 

"Wait!" Yeo Reum said. "Will I still be Yeo Reum?" The Angel shook his head. "You would start over and have a new life, as another person."

 

"So, my own family won't remember me? Not even Hara Unnie, or Kang Joon?" She asked.

 

The Angel then said, "No. You would be in a whole different lifestyle and family. Your friends and family won't remember you. But still, you would continue on living."

 

Yeo Reum thought for a moment. No one will remember me? Not even my own family or friends? Not even Kang Joon? I don't know if that's good, bad, maybe somewhere in between?

 

Then, Yeo Reum asked, "Will I still remember everything?" The Angel said, "Yes, unless you choose not to."

 

"How much time do I have left?" She asked. The angel replied, "One more minute."

 

Yeo Reum thought again, then took a deep breath.

 

"I want a second chance. Please."