My Sister's Teacher

A Second Chance

This chapter contains lots of typical high school clichés, so you've been warned.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Youngji, at first, was confused about how he was here at this school. Then, she mentally face palmed herself. He goes to this school, you babo! She thought to herself.

 

"I didn't know you went to school here!" She said to Jackson Wang, who grinned and replied, "I just started today, actually."

 

 "Really?! So did we!" She gestured to her and Yeo Bin. Jackson was also equally shocked. "Whoa…" Jackson shook his head, then asked Youngji, "What's your first class?" Yeo Bin joined in the conversation and said, "Songwriting, which is in this classroom." He pointed to the door which Jackson was leaning on.

 

"Same for me, but—" He gestured his thumb to the door— "it's a total jungle in there. I'm actually kind of hesitant to go in."

 

Then, at that moment, they heard a pair of high heels walking down the corridor. The teacher, Youngji thought. Mrs. Go.

 

Mrs. Go was Hara's teacher, and she said that Mrs. Go wasn't the nicest teacher, but she was definitely one of the best. With her long yardstick and loud voice, getting disciplined meant your certain social death.

 

"Crap! The teacher's coming!" Youngji said urgently, "Hurry! Go in, go in!" She pushed the confused boys into the class and they quickly took their seats in the back of the room.

 

At that moment, the bell rang and Mrs. Go came in with a long meter stick in her hand. 

 

"Hello, class," she said with a bitter smile, "I am blessed to be your teacher for the next few months. Hopefully, you don't end up falling asleep in this class, because your middle school shenanigans are over." 

 

Youngji wasn’t very comfortable being in Mrs. Go's class—especially because her sister went to this class.

 

"Alright, let's get to the 'get to know each other' part of the class," she said lazily, then gestured to the front row, "You start."

 

A boy in the front stood up and started speaking in English.

 

"My name is Kunpimook Bhuwakul , but everyone calls me Bam Bam. I'm from Thailand and I wish to become a great rapper and vocalist." He does a slight bow as everyone applauded for him.

 

The next person stood up, also speaking in English.

 

"H-hi, I'm Mark Tuan. I'm from America, but my family is from Hong Kong. I want to become a successful singer and rapper. Th-thank you." He does the same as Bam Bam and everyone applauded for him.

 

The process goes on until it's Yeo Bin's turn.

 

"Hi! I'm Heo Yeo Bin, and I want to become a composer and singer with my sister—" he gestured to Youngji— "Thank you!" He does an over exaggerated bow as everyone started to laugh.

 

"I see now that we have someone to keep an eye on," she narrowed her eyes at Yeo Bin, who playfully waved. Youngji rolled her eyes. That idiot, she thought.

 

"Next," Mrs. Go said.

 

Wait…it's my turn?! She thought to herself. What do I say?! With a gulp, she stood up and cleared . 

 

"H-hello! My name is Heo Youngji and I want to become a singer and dancer, just like my—" She was about to say, 'sister', but she forgot that she's supposed to be dead and she no longer has a sister. What do I say now?! She panicked, until she finally said, "M-my role model, B-Baek Ji Young!"

 

That was the truth, because her first concert was Baek Ji Young. It was also the first concert she went to with her sister. She felt like she was going to cry as she was overcome with nostalgia.

 

"An-and I wish to achieve that dream with my brother. Th-thank you!" She quickly sat down and buried her face in her hair. She could hear the applause that the class gave her, as Mrs. Go tells Jackson to do his introduction.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jackson stood up, but not without stealing a glance at Youngji, who looked like she could use a friend. 

 

Wait, why am I suddenly feeling concern for her? I barely know her, he thought. He shook his head slightly, then started his introduction.

 

"Hello, everyone! My name is Jackson Wang, and I'm from Hong Kong. I wish to become a talented dancer and rapper. Also, I wish to get used to Korea and—hopefully—learn to speak Korean fluently. Thank you!" He bowed as everyone applauded.

 

Jackson sat down and stole another glance at Youngji. He heard Mrs. Go starting her lecture, but he couldn't care less about that. Nothing could take his mind away from the concern he felt for Youngji.

 

"Hey," he whispered to her, "you okay?" 

 

Still not looking at him, she nodded her head. "Don't worry about me," she murmured, "Just pay attention to the lecture." 

 

She didn’t sound like she was crying, but Jackson could tell she wasn't doing okay. Doing what she said, he turned and began to finally listen to Mrs. Go, who was in the middle of talking about how to start a song.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Class was over after about forty minutes, and Youngji couldn't wait to go to her next class: Drama.

 

She wasn't the best actor out there, but she did enjoy musical theatre in her middle school days. She didn't realize that she was dragging Yeo Bin with her to the classroom, who was hollering at Youngji to let him go, "HEY! LET ME GO, NOONA!" 

 

She turned and then let go of Yeo Bin, "Sorry! I'm just super duper excited about our next class!" She squealed in delight and rushed to the classroom.

 

"Wait for me, noona!" Yeo Bin shouted after her, but she couldn't hear him, because her happiness drowned out her hearing.

 

Youngji pushed through the crowd of confused students to the drama classroom. She heard her brother shouting at her to wait, but she knew that he could find the classroom on his own.

 

She turned to make sure she can see Yeo Bin, but then, panic struck her--

 

Her brother disappeared