The Pain of Familiarity

A Second Chance

Hey guys! So I'm kind of out of my writer's block--still getting stuck sometimes--but I managed to write this chapter. Also, you guys are probably wondering when I'll get the JackJi gears turning. Well, don't worry! After the next chapter, there will be a big timeskip so it'll hurry things along a little. 

Anyways, hope you guys like this chapter! :)

Seo. Kang. Joon. The guy that I hated so much, along with his goons, strutted through the doors like they owned the place. He threw around stupid looking smirks around the room, which made Jin Ah and Soon Kyu faint. His goons did the same, which made me gag a little. 

The Idiot Gang, as I called them, walked to the lunch line. They weren't looking at me, so I just threw a nasty glare at them. Yeo Bin looked at me and said, "Noona, aren't you gonna eat?" 

My expression softened as I began to eat. My insides were boiling with hate, anger, and for reasons unknown… 

I felt fear. 
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Me and BamBam were wandering around, trying to find somewhere to sit. I scanned the cafeteria for…Found her! 

I led BamBam to the table where Youngji and her brother were sitting at. I approached with a smile, then my smile faded when I saw the nasty glare on her face. You know, the face that girls make where they're really pissed off, and if you touch them, your finger can get bitten off. 

"Uh, Youngji?" I waved my hand in front of her face. No luck. 

"Oi, Heo Youngji!" I shook her shoulder, to which she responded to. I jerked my hand away as quickly as I can, worried that she'll bite my hand. 

"Oh, hi Jackson!" She smiled widely, then looked over at BamBam, "And...?" 

BamBam bowed slightly, "Hi! I'm BamBam! Or I'm better known as 'That Thai Kid with a Really Long Name.' We have first period together..." 

Youngji pondered on the thought for a second, then she said, "Oh, yeah! Nice to meet you!" 

I think it was my imagination, but I think BamBam blushed a little... 

"Well, uh, do you mind if we sit here, Youngji?" I ask, to which she nodded as an answer, "Sit down--I won't bite." She winks creepily, which makes me stifle a laugh. 

Yeo Bin cleared his throat, "So, Jackson, how's Dance? Is the teacher cool?" he asked. 

I take out the lunch Joon Hyung made for me, "Yeah! His name is Kim Jong In. His style of dance is ballet and jazz. The routine he showed us today was Michael Jackson's 'Smooth Criminal'." BamBam added, "It was dope! I almost thought it was actually him! Right, Jackson?" 

I nodded, "It was awesome!" I took a bite of one of the spicy rice cakes that Joon packed for me. I asked Yeo Bin, "Anyways, how was art? Is it fun? Who's the teacher?" 

Youngji joined in our conversation, "You're going to love that class, Jackson! Our teacher, Mr. Kim, is an art genius. Also, he's funny and can fit an entire apple in his mouth. It's impressive." I  slurped some noodles while Yeo Bin told us more about Mr. Kim. 

As he chatted, I glanced at Youngji, who seemed to be lost in thought. Or actually, she was looking--more like glaring at something. Or...someone. 

I looked in the direction she was looking, and sure enough, she was looking at someone. 

It was some guy in a faux leather jacket, talking with two dudes who looked like rejects from a Japanese clothing commercial. They sat two tables away. 

I raised an eyebrow at Yeo Bin, who just shrugged. Bam Bam glanced at her, too, wondering what's going on. Clueless guy, I tell ya. 

Yeo Bin broke the silence by saying, "Hey, how bout after school, we hang out at the coffee shop nearby?" 
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- 
My ears perked up when Yeo Bin said this, "Yeah, we totally should! It's really good, I heard!" 

Jackson and Bam Bam looked at each other, then nodded in agreement. I smiled happily, earning a chuckle from my brother and Jackson. I pouted at him, to which he just smiled at. 

TIMESKIP: 4PM, AFTER SCHOOL 

I led the guys to the cafe, The Coffee Bean, which is owned by my--I mean, Yeo Reum's--half brother, Park Min Woo-oppa. I originally had a job here, but after I 'died'...well, you get it. 

We were close, mainly because after my mom remarried and Hara unnie had school, I would hang out with him. He's super chill and super smart. And by super smart, I mean that he graduated in his SOPHOMORE YEAR! And I could never forget his sense of humor and mischief. 

Anyway, we entered the coffee shop. It was mostly empty, mainly because it usually gets busy at around 5:30. 

The interior is still the same--tables for four in the center while booths took over the walls; the dim lighting which helped the ambiance; the hanging lights which were decorated with the designs I did with paint. 

Man, so much nostalgia. 

Min Woo-oppa was working the cash register. As we walked in, he looked up and sent us a friendly smile, which included his adorable dimples. 

"Welcome to The Coffee Bean! What would you like?" He asked. 

I sent him an acknowledging smile. My eyes scanned the menu, but then they stopped on the 'Featured Item', which was a 'Yeo Reum Frappuccino'. It was actually just a regular mocha java-chip frappe, topped with whipped cream and Oreo crumbs... 

My favorite menu item. 

Acting like I didn't know anything, I asked, "What is the Featured Item?" Min Woo-oppa's face fell, as he said, "Oh, that? That's the drink that my half sister loved the most in this shop..." 

Yeo Bin tilted his head, "Where is she?" 

Min Woo-oppa sighed, "She was Kwon Yeo Reum. You know, the girl from Saekwang Performing Arts School that committed suicide? Her sister had a protest this morning." 

I put on my best gasp face, then said, "I'm sorry for your loss..." I paused to look at his name tag, "...Min Woo." 

Min Woo looked up at us again, then smiled, "When did I hear those words last?" I could detect the sad sarcasm in his tone. I ordered four of the frappes, then found a booth for us to sit in. 

Me and Yeo Bin sat on one side, while Jackson and Bam Bam sat on the other. 
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- 
I couldn't help but look at Youngji, whose face was filled with an expression I couldn't read. Plus, when she ordered the frappes, it seemed like she knew the cashier... 

My curiosity tool over my conscience, so I blurted out, "Do you know that Min Woo guy?" She turned to face me, her eyebrows raised in confusion. 

"Where'd that come from?" She asked, to which I replied with a shrug. 

As an answer, she shook her head, "Never saw that guy before. Well, except for when I passed by this cafe on my way to school." 

I could tell she wasn't being entirely truthful, but I just said OK, then Min Woo came with our drinks. After one sip, I felt like I was in heaven. 

Then I realized that this drink was the dead girl's favorite. I suddenly felt like wanting to know more about her. She seemed like a great gal if her half brother made a drink named after her. 

Maybe I should come to this place more often...