Heo Young Ji

A Second Chance

Young Ji was ready to face the world again, as her new family settled in the house that they just purchased with the 3 billion won they received from the Emperor.

The house was 450 million won, with 4 bedrooms, 3 1/2 bathrooms, a small kitchen, living room and game room.

 

After they spent 450 million won, their money went down to 2.55 billion won, which didn't seem so bad. Now, the family just needed to get settled down with jobs and school for the kids.

 

Since the house was near Yeo Reum's school, Saegwang High School, they just needed to enroll Young Ji and Yeo Bin into the school. It was even better because Yeo Reum is no more, so no one will recognize Young Ji.

 

Yeo Bin was the most excited about being 17 years old, and so were Ra Hee and Kwang Jin, with their ages being 29 (Ra Hee) and 33 (Kwang Jin), respectively.

 

Young Ji was just happy about living again, then her stomach started to rumble. It seemed the whole family heard her, because they turned around and faced Young Ji.

 

"You hungry, Noona?" Yeo Bin asked. Young Ji blushed out of embarassment. "Yeah..." she said. Kwang Jin then cleared his throat. "Then how bout letting Young Ji show us the best Chinese restaurant in the area?"

 

Young Ji's eyes lit up. "I know a really good place that's down the street!"

 

She went to get ready quickly and led the family outside to the street. They followed her as they passed by two plastic surgery clinics, a spicy rice cake stand, a fish cake stand and a coffee shop.

 

Young Ji and her family finally stopped in front of a Chinese restaurant, Jade Dragon. It wasn't fancy or anything like that, but it was good enough for Young Ji.

 

The restaurant amazed the family with its traditional atmosphere and lanterns decked out everywhere. "Wah...daebak..." Yeo Bin said, looking like he saw the most amazing thing in the world.

 

A waiter led the family to a table, where a lantern with a Chinese letter was painted gold.

 

"It says 'love'." Young Ji said. The family looked up from their menus and looked at her. "How'd you know?" Ra Hee said. Young Ji herself was shocked, too.

"I...I don't know..." she said. "Yeo Reum never studied Chinese…"

 

A waitress came to their table with a smile. "Welcome! My name is Xi Wei, and I will be your waitress today." She took out her writing pad and pen.

 

"Can we have one bowl of jjajjangmyun and one bowl of jjampong?" Ra Hee said, as Xi Wei took down her order. "Is that all, ma'am?" she asked.

 

"Can I get two spring rolls, three seasoned chickens with soy sauce and sweet and sour sauce? That is only for me. And also, lots and lots of greens." Young Ji said, as Yeo Bin raised his eyebrows. "Damn...Noona can really eat a lot." he muttered.

 

Xi Wei took the order down. Then, she looked at Young Ji. "You know, another girl used to come here often, and she ordered that same thing every time." Young Ji knew it was Yeo Reum who made those orders, but just asked, "Used to?"

 

Xi Wei's bright face turned sad. "Kwon Yeo Reum. Such a ray of sunshine. Such a shame to make that girl do such a thing."

 

The family tried not to seem suspicious, but it wasn't necessary, because Xi Wei already left.

 

"You ordered your usual?" Kwang Jin asked. Young Ji nodded. "It was the only things I ate. It was the only things I liked, unless I was with Hara unnie. We ate jjampong and jjajjangmyun..." Young Ji started tearing up, then Yeo Bin pat her back. "It's okay, Noona. Let it out." Young Ji then wiped her eyes. "It's okay. I got over that." she said.

 

Then, a boy came up to the family. "Excuse me..." he said, but it wasn't Korean he spoke. It was English.

 

Young Ji looked at him, but stopped for a second. He's kind of cute... she thought.  Then she realized that he was talking to her.

 

"Do you know what's good here?" He said. Usually, Yeo Reum would be breaking out her heavily accented, hard to understand English skills. But she spoke as if she spoke it all her life.

 

"Well...um...the jjajjangmyun is really good...and the jjampong, too..." she said, still dazed by his handsome looks.

 

"Oh, okay. I'll trust your judgement, then. Thanks!" He said, smiling.

 

"No problem..." she said, then he walked away. Young Ji then remembered that she can speak perfect English. Young Ji then asked, "Uh...Dad?", she asked, as Kwang Jin turned his head from his conversation with Ra Hee. "How did I speak English fluently? Yeo Reum wasn't that great in English. And, how was I able to read this?" She pointed to the lantern that had the Chinese letter for love.

 

Kwang Jin's mouth opened and he clapped his hands together. "I totally forgot that detail! Young Ji can speak Korean, English, Japanese and Cantonese!"

 

Young Ji's mouth opened wide. "Really?! I can speak four languages?!" Kwang Jin nodded. "The Emperor ordered for that." Then, the boy from before came back.

 

"I forgot to tell you my name. How non-gentlemanly of me!" He said, lightly laughing. Young Ji couldn't stop blushing, but then she realized that non-gentlemanly wasn't a real word. Eh, whatever. He's still cute.

 

"It's okay. It was also rude of me to not introduce myself. My name is Heo Young Ji. What's yours?"

 

"It's Jackson." He said, with a smile. "Jackson Wang."