Prologue

A Second Chance

Yeo Reum was sitting in the classroom, just minding her own business and couldn't care less about the cat fight going on between Lee Soon Kyu and Im Jin Ah, the most beautiful girls in their class. They were fighting over Soon Kyu's lip gloss, which was redder then the apple sitting on Mr. Yang's desk. Yeo Reum looked up from her English book and shook her head. Babo, she thought.

Then, she heard the door open. It was Seo Kang Joon. Immediately, the fighting girls forgot about their argument and straightened up for Kang Joon. "Oppa! Annyeonghaseyo!" they said in unison, as he threw a "F4 Worthy" look at them, which made them swoon.

He then made his way towards Yeo Reum. He banged the desk, which made Yeo Reum flinch and her glasses slid off her nose and landed on the floor. Kang Joon smirked. "So, how's your unnie doing?" Yeo Reum kept her head low, because she never talked about her sister with Kang Joon, the school bully. Her sister, Ha Ra, was a freshman in college at University of Korea. In her senior year, she dated Kang Joon, but dumped him on her graduation, saying that she wanted to focus on school more. Hara may have moved on, but Kang Joon has definitely not moved on yet.

Yeo Reum just picked up her glasses from the floor, put them back on and said to Kang Joon, "I'm sorry, but I can't talk right now. I need to study for my English test." She then continued on with her workbook. Kang Joon was getting mad, as he snatched the workbook and the pencil.

"Hey! Give it back!" Yeo Reum demanded, as she reached for the book. Then, Kang Joon did the most unexpected thing:

 

He ripped up the workbook into shreds and snapped the pencil in half.

 

"NO!!" Yeo Reum shrieked, as she cried and fell to her knees. She picked up the shreds, only for the shreds to scatter again because of Kang Joon's kick to her stomach.

 

Kang Joon smirked. "Now you know what happens when you ignore my questions." He kneeled and his eyes met Yeo Reum's. "Never do that again, Yeo Reum-ah." He chuckled, then left.

 

Soon Kyu and Jin Ah just quietly picked up their things and tiptoed out of the classroom, leaving Yeo Reum to cry on the floor and pick up the shreds of paper.

 

This was the fifth book that got ruined by Kang Joon.

 

Why is he so mean to me? Yeo Reum thought. Just because Hara dumped him, that gives him the right to be mean to me? Yeo Reum sniffed and threw the shreds into the air, her glasses to the ground, and stomped on them.

 

She wiped her tears and walked out of the classroom and made her way up to the school roof.

 

I've had enough. She repeated in her mind. I can't take it anymore.

 

When she arrived, she took out a marker that she always kept in her pocket and wrote on the door:

 

젤가요, 여러번. ~권여름 (Goodbye, everyone. ~Kwon Yeo Reum)

 

Then, with the tears running down her cheeks, she continued writing underneath:

 

. 나는 하루에 당신이 그런 행위를의 결정에 어린 소녀를 구동 처벌됩니다 것이다, 당신을 경고한다. 사람이를 읽​​는 경우, 비난하는 것입니다.

 

(Seo Kang Joon. I warn you, that a day will come that you will be punished for driving a young girl to the decision of committing such an act. If anyone reads this, Seo Kang Joon is to blame.)

 

Yeo Reum snapped the cap of the marker back on and threw it next to the door. She pushed open the door to the roof and put her right foot on the ledge of the roof, then her left foot.

 

She took in one final breath. Goodbye, everyone. Goodbye, Mother. Goodbye, Father. Goodbye, Unnie. She said in her thoughts, then she let go of everything and ended her misery.