#02

best of friends
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

#02: you are pretty, with or without make-up.


Jongin doesn’t think that there might be an end to his friendship with Sehee. They have been best friends for so long that it feels weird not to spend majority of their time together. It is not only at school that they usually talk to each other and work together, but at home and around town, too. Sehee is an installment in his life, just as much as he is in Sehee’s. Or was. Jongin is not quite sure anymore.

Ever since Sehee has told him about her date, Jongin wonders how it will be to share Sehee with another boy. So far, Sehee’s only male friend is Jongin and he never expected things to change. Her father and Jongin would always be the only men in Sehee’s life, especially, when Jongin has it all planned out. The second he has realized his crush on his best friend, he has been dreaming about a confession. He would do it in the most romantic way, with a nice dinner and a walk in the park at night. Or maybe he would confess to her on the day of graduation, picking her up to twirl her around and then press a kiss on her lips to celebrate. There are so many ways he could do it, and he has scheduled it for later, for when he is more confident and when they are both more mature.

Despite telling himself so, Jongin knows the other big factor that influences his decision the most: fear. Jongin is worried, scared of what will happen once the secret is out. He wonders what will happen to his title “bestest of all best friends”. There is no problem if it is mutual, but Sehee is so pretty inside out that it is hard for him to believe that they could be a couple some day. Sehee surely has higher expectations for a boyfriend and Jongin doesn’t think he can meet her ideals yet. And so he just keeps his crush a secret, continuing on his path as Sehee’s best friend.

With Sehee’s date on this weekend though, Jongin wonders if he should have told her. Would she not go on a date, knowing Jongin’s feelings for her? Sehee has always been kind-hearted, too soft and gentle for her own good, and sensitive, too. She doesn’t like hurting other people, least of all the ones important to her, so if he confessed, it would be a selfish thing to do. Because Sehee would sacrifice her own happiness for her best friend and that Jongin does not want either. He is the man, so he should be the one making sacrifices.

 

 

“Jongin.”

Jongin is barely awake, not even checking the display before answering the call. Instinctively, he knows that it can only be Sehee calling him so early in the morning, despite it being Saturday. There are no classes, but sometimes Sehee wakes him up early so they can go out together - shopping trips to Myeongdong or around Ewha university’s campus, culinary trips to Incheon’s chinatown, photography sessions inmidst of the city. Sometimes she calls him to remind him of their schedule, too, hers, actually, but she never goes to a modeling session without Jongin. He is not so much her personal assistant, but her coach and bodyguard, making sure she is doing fine, physically and mentally.

Jongin can’t remember her mentioning anything of that sort for this Saturday though, but soon enough he understands. Sehee is nervous before her first date and Jongin has always been her moral support. She needs him today, too. He promises to come over as soon as possible. Sehee thanks him a thousand times and he shushes her, ending the call. With a sigh, he gets up and gets ready. It will be a tiring day, not so much for his body, but more for his heart and mind.

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter