#10

best of friends
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

#10: happy birthday?

 

In the end, Sehee has spent the whole weekend at Jongin's place, and since Sehee, too, was sick, Mrs. Kim gave up trying to separate them. They have been sleeping most of the time, cuddled together under Jongin's blanket. Each time Jongin woke up, his lips curled into a smile upon seeing his best friend right there, next to him. Sehee, too, has been in a rather good mood, despite complaining about a headache. She has been giggling a lot, face nuzzling into Jongin's chest when she tried to fall asleep again, and Jongin has imagined them as a married couple each time Sehee did that. That is how a married couple would be in bed, right? Simply enjoying each other's presence, the constant sound of heartbeats and rhythmic breath, the feeling of comfort and warmth.

Monday, too, Sehee woke up in Jongin's bed, and although both felt considerably better, none was allowed to go to school yet. The doctor who stopped by - Jongin's uncle actually - has told them to rest for at least two more days, and Mrs. Kim has informed both school and Sehee's parents, who came to pick Sehee up later that night, coming straight from the airport. They were on a business trip.

By Thursday, Sehee and Jongin are back at school, their noses runny still, but apart from the occasional sneeze, they are doing okay. Baekhee and Chanyeol are sitting with them during lunch time, and while Chanyeol chatters away, Baekhee keeps looking between Jongin and Sehee, both exceptionally quiet today.

"It's the sore throat," Jongin reassures, but Baekhee knows better than to trust Jongin's words. Maybe Sehee's throat is hurting, but Jongin's certainly does not when he can still speak in class, replying as lengthy as always without a single cough. She knows better than to prod though. She already has her guesses, knowing both Jongin and Sehee for years now, and questions might be more appropriate at a later time. For now she lets her boyfriend do all the talk, filling the table with an almost monologue, only disrupted by Baekhee's occasional sassy comments.





Baekhee seems to make it a habit now. She is not having lunch at Chanyeol's classroom anymore, but drags her boyfriend to join Jongin and Sehee. It is more fun like that, Jongin thinks, and he is surely relieved to find their topics straying, rather than focusing on Minseok, Minseok, Minseok, when he is left alone with his best friend.

Jongin glances over at Baekhee, his smile a grateful one whenever their eyes meet.





It is easy to forget that Sehee has a boyfriend when said boyfriend is not mentioned in any conversation. Sooner or later though, both Jongin and Baekhee know that they cannot avoid the topic of Minseok. It is Sehee's birthday soon, and she is revealing her plans. Sehee wants to have a small birthday party, with only Jongin, Baekhee, Chanyeol and her boyfriend coming over to her house.

Baekhee looks worried when Jongin meets her eyes, whereas Chanyeol seems enthusiastic at the prospect of a party. Baekhee's gaze is a pitiful one and Jongin doesn't like it one bit, even though it is meant to show empathy.

"You're all coming, right?" Sehee asks with a shy smile. She is looking at Jongin in particular and of course he can't say no. It is Sehee asking him, and although he knows that the sight of Sehee and Minseok together will hurt him, he knows that Sehee spending her birthday without her best friend who has spending all of her birthdays so far will hurt a lot more. Because Sehee will be sad, and Jongin will blame himself, hurting himself like that. He really can't help but do everything to protect her happiness while sacrificing his own. After all, he only has two options that both end up with Jongin feeling tortured, but at least Sehee will be happier if he makes the right choice.

"Of course we will," he tells her with a wide smile, glancing at Baekhee who grimaces. Sehee doesn't seem to realize that it is a sign of disapproval, instead interpreting it as Baekhee fooling around as always.

"Sunday afternoon," Sehee says. "You can come around three? Oh, and you don't need to buy me any presents. I just want to have my friends around, that's all." Her voice is quiet, the tender blush on her face makes her look even younger and morevulnerable, heart laying open for everyone to see. Baekhee's expression softens.

"Silly girl," Baekhee says. "Of course we'll bring presents. Your friends are the best presents you have." The words would seem flippant to other people, but Sehee just nods, her smile widening.

"I know," Seh

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter