Something Strange

claws, teeth, fur
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Somehow the minute she opened her eyes that morning, she just had a feeling that it was going to be one hell of a day.

 

Usually the first thing she thought of after waking up is the routine list of chores she needed to do for the day--feed the cat, feed the chickens, collect the eggs, milk the goat, water her plants, feed the horses and groom them...but today, it was different. Today was going to be different. And she knew it the second she laid eyes on that wolf, instinctively checking it to make sure it was where it had been the previous night—by the fire place sound asleep and not like, having crept upstairs and ate Bomi or something.

 

Bleary eyes blinked heavily. Everything was slightly blurry without her glasses or contact lenses, but she saw that it--the wolf, was still there.

 

Although later Eunji would find that the definition of 'it' needed to be reconsidered entirely. Right then though, she was certain that the wolf had shrunk overnight, because it was completely buried and hidden underneath her fuzzy mint green blanket. She stared for a moment longer.

 

Well, that can't be right. I must still be asleep.

 

She sat up on the couch and stretched. Her bones ached from sleeping in such a position all night.

 

Her footsteps on the carpet made no sound; she padded her way to the wolf and knelt down. Gingerly, she poked the oddly shaped lump. It could be that she was still groggy from her sleep that she was not so afraid of the wolf now. Or it could be because she had slept in the same room as it and managed to somehow not get mauled in the middle of the night.

 

She pinched the blanket between her thumb and forefinger, and ever, ever so slightly...lifted the blanket up and away.

 

And almost fell back when she saw a head of dark hair peeking out.

 

No, Eunji doesn't mean black fur. She was not blind nor an idiot; oh sure her eyesight may not be 20/20 but she was not blind. Anybody could tell that it was human hair.

 

Now almost morbidly curious, she made another attempt and pulled the blanket down further. She saw ears next, big and almost pointy-like.

 

Grandma, what big ears you have. The line randomly popped up in her head.

 

Charming big ears, but it wasn't a wolf's ears. A million thoughts ran in her mind. Where's the wolf? Who is this person? How did it get in the house?!

 

The stranger shifted suddenly, startling her so much that she dropped the blanket and backed away anxiously.

 

The person groaned, the low tone clearly indicated it was a man, and the revelation did nothing to calm her nerves. From her vantage point (she had backed away to the far end of the room until her back touched the wall) she saw him rubbed his eyes with the heel of his hand. Afterwards he flung an arm across his face, and then went still.

 

Eunji suspected that he was going back to sleep. Which isn't something that she was going to let happen. He wants to sleep, fine, but first explain to her what the hell was going on and then get the hell out of her property, you darn trespasser!

 

With renewed determination, she took purposefully heavy steps to the...person, bent down, and yanked the blanket off of him. Or tried to, because he was all but rolled up in it and it got tangled and stuck halfway.

 

And thank god it did. Because when she pulled, it revealed his very, very bare chest. And it took a second to process, but Eunji realized that underneath the blanket he was completely. Buck. .

 

Ohmygodohmygodohmygodohmy--

 

She yelped and dropped the blanket as if it had burned her. By now the weird person was wide awake, lifting himself up on his elbows and looking around wildly. His gaze finally settled on her, and she stared back, frozen and open-mouthed.

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter