The Animal Within

claws, teeth, fur
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

When Eunji meant giant, she wasn't exaggerating.

 

The wolf was huge, as in the size of her pony.

 

She found to her further distress, that she was shaking uncontrollably and her grip on the gun was not secure. With any luck, if she tried to shoot she would accidentally shoot herself in the foot. And the fear and panic was not helping her in the least—in fact, it was making her really nauseous. She was rooted to the spot, unable to get her body to move. The animal looked at her with a degree of calmness and curiosity, it's hazel eyes glinted with something Eunji couldn't identify.

 

It's a classic standoff. The wolf wasn't making any move to attack, and Eunji would not hurt it unprovoked. Expelling a nervous breath, she attempted to gather herself together to try and make sense of the situation.

 

“So you're a wolf,” she managed not to stutter. That was a point for her.

 

Yeah but nice going, stating the obvious to the wolf. She mentally smacked herself in the head.

 

The wolf made some sort of whining sound from the back of his (her?) throat, as if confirming what she said.

 

Eunji swallowed hard, “You're not attacking. You...want to come inside?”

 

Yes, treat the wolf like a guest who just rang your doorbell and had just came over for a visit.

 

But it made that little noise again, and abruptly laid down on it's side. The movement made her jump—she was just really, really edgy at the current moment.

 

It tilt it's head and looked at her.

 

Eunji stared dumbly. Is this a sign of submission? Based on the few facts about dogs and their body language that Eunji could recall from TV and books, this seem to be it.

 

She peeked at it's tail. It wasn't wagging, but it was drooped and relaxed. A good sign? Damn it, she's not a canine expert! Out of all the houses, the wolf just had to pick one where the owner has a pet cat.

 

Whatever. If the thing isn't showing it's teeth, then it's probably not about to attack anytime soon. Hesitantly, she lowered the shotgun to her side. The wolf continued to watch her casually.

 

Eunji stepped aside, and jerkily motioned for the wolf to come into the house.

 

That's it, I've lost my mind.

 

But the wolf seemed smart. It got back up to it's feet gracefully, and stalked it's way into the house...or tried to, because when coming in, the lower half of it's body got wedged in her narrow doorway.

 

Oh dear.

 

The wolf twisted it's head around, and if Eunji didn't knew better, she could almost think that it looked astonished and confused. She watched helplessly as it struggled for a moment, trying to squirm its way out but to avail.

 

It turned it's head back to face her. Eunji was unnerved that the wolf was directly looking into her eyes.

 

And then it whined in distress, tilting it's head again as if to say, 'Otokaji?'

 

She gawked at it, wondering what on earth the wolf thinks she should do.

 

“Ohh...erm...” Eunji scratched her head, unconsciously pacing up and down while hazel eyes followed her. She saw the wolf shivered from her peripheral vision, and finally remembered that it was still snowing heavily outside. She didn't noticed the icy wind because the wolf's frame managed to block the worst of it, but she couldn't even imagine how cold it must be for it.

 

“Should I ge

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter