09

Afar

Finishing up the pink ribbon tightly, Sujeong placed the gift on top of the pile of other presents. With the help of other countries donation support managers, she had helped Myungsoo to collect gifts with love from inspirits all over the world. The birthday fan support was really successful this year, she thought. There were[ many different gifts, ranging from branded shirts, bags, brand new iPhones to expensive cameras lens. She stretched her hand in the air and checked the time to realise it was 4AM already. Switching off the room lights, she checked her phone in bed. There were several mentions on Twitter and comments on her Instagram accounts. Sujeong subconsciously recalled those days when even a single notification sound from her phone would surprise her. Before she drifted off to dreamland, she made a mental note that she had to send the gifts to Woollim before daybreak.

After dropping the gifts at the company, Sujeong headed straight for the airport. INFINITE was scheduled for a showcase in Busan. The other fansite masters were all gathered at Starbucks before her. Some of them were touching up their makeup while others were on their phones. Sujeong naturally took the seat beside Miyoung. 

“Annyeong.” Miyoung greeted with a bright smile.

The crowd went frenzy at the arrival of INFINITE’s van. The screams at the airport were even louder than the fanchants at concerts, Sujeong thought. Focusing her lens at Myungsoo who had shades on, she took a few quick snaps. He was wearing a simple white shirt but he still looked perfect. He bowed his head slightly and gave an awkward smile as fans swarmed forward. The manager was yelling and shoving slightly for the fans to move. Then, someone screamed.

“You touched me!” She screamed with tears b in her eyes as she covered her chest. 

"It was an accident! You were too near and I.. I didn't mean it!" The manager held both hands up and defended. He looked around nervously at the menancing glares from the surrounding fans. The craziness died down slightly at the commotion. Sunggyu parted the crowd and made his way to them with his brows knitted. He had his white mask on so he took it off and without saying anything else, he bowed to the fan.

“I apologize on behalf of our manager if there was any misunderstanding.” He said and stayed in his position. 

"I-It's okay, Sunggyu oppa." She stuttered and Sunggyu got up. 

The fan was in a daze as she watched Sunggyu with hearts shooting out of her eyes. With that, everything was resolved. The members moved on with the manager’s facial expressions getting darker than ever.

The fansites who were inside the immigration kept their cameras knowing that INFINITE’s manager was not in the best of mood. The last thing they wanted was to be scolded by the manager. Sujeong met eyes with the manager who shot her a distasteful look before rolling his eyes. Sujeong couldn’t wait to get on the plane. Entering the business class, she struggled to put her hand carry into the cabin.

“Let me help you.”

Sujeong smiled in gratitude as she thanked the steward for his help. Reclining in the familiar airplane seat, Sujeong drifted off to dreamland. She was deprived of sleep for the past week due to the birthday support.

-

Upon arriving at Gimhae Airport, Sujeong checked her phone and realised it only had 10% battery left. Switching it off, she stuffed it into her handcarry bag. It took approximately 30 minutes before they reached the 6-star hotel booked in advance. Leaving her handcarry at the side, Sujeong plopped herself in the fluffy white hotel bed.

“I am so sleepy…” She mumbled against the pillow softer than fur.

“This hotel is awesome!” Miyoung yelled as she sprawled on the bed, beside Sujeong.

After an hour, Miyoung’s phone vibrated, waking them up from their quick nap.

“They say Hoya, Sungyeol and Sunggyu is heading to the gym.”  Miyoung read the message.

“Did they say where Myungsoo is at?” Sujeong stifled a yawn as she rubbed her eyes.

“They didn’t but they said Sungjong is going to the pool alone.” Miyoung clasped her hands together and her eyes sparkled.  

“Then I’m going back to sleep, bye.” Sujeong shot her hand up in the air lazily as she crashed into the bed.

“YAH~~ Go with me before Sungjong is gone!” Miyoung whined like a kid.

"Pleaseeee~" She continued whining as she tugged Sujeong’s arm repeatedly.

“Fine. Fine.” Sujeong gave in as she sat up.

“Where is the pool~” Miyoung sang sweetly, swinging Sujeong’s hand like a kid.

“Omo.” Miyoung covered her eyes as she spotted Sungjong and his bare upper body.

“Miss. Your fingers look parted and it seems like someone is blushing~” Sujeong teased as she put her hands down.

“Let’s go~” Miyoung said after a while. 

“We are leaving already?” Sujeong looked at her in surprise.

“It’s Sungjong’s healing time. He would be uncomfortable if he sees us here. Let’s not disturb him.” Miyoung smiled as she walked off first.

Trailing behind Miyoung, Sujeong whined to go back to their room so she could sleep more.

“Don’t sleep~ Let’s go shopping!” Miyoung hooked arms with Sujeong and dragged her into the boutique stores.

-

“I am so happy.” Sujeong exclaimed as she held her new shopping bags up proudly.

“Me too.” Miyoung shrieked as she spun around the hotel lobby with her shopping bags.

Returning to the hotel room, Sujeong took her phone out from her handcarry and switched it on. She wanted to post on Instagram all the things she bought today. She laughed upon realising she had so much fun today that she had completely forgotten about her phone. As her phone switched on, it surprised her to see 10 missed calls and several unread messages in her Kakaotalk.

“What is wrong?” she mumbled to herself as she opened her family chat.

“Eonnie! Appa is in the hospital, where are you?"

"Eonnie!!! Why are you not picking up?"

"Eonnie~ Return my call once you see this!”

Sujeong almost dropped her phone upon reading the message. With trembling hands, she dialled her sister’s number. Thousands of possibilities of what could have happened flashed across her mind. It felt like eternity before Sae Ra finally picked up. 

“What happened?” Sujeong asked with her voice on the verge of cracking.

“Appa got into an accident because his car skidded.” Sae Ra replied.

“Is appa hurt badly?” Sujeong bit her lips with clenched fist.

“He’s fine now.” She said and Sujeong heaved a sigh of relief.

“But he is still unconscious. The doctor said he lost too much blood from the forehead wound and he has a fracture on his thigh. But... he would be awake by the next hour. The doctor would perform some scans tomorrow morning.” Sae Ra whispered softly.

“Where is she?” Sujeong heard her mum’s voice.

“Tell umma I’m in Busan but I’ll take the earliest fligh-”

“What is she doing chasing those stupid idols when her dad is in the hospital?!” Her mum screamed with her voice cracking slightly at the end. She was probably crying just now, she figured.

“I’ll be back tomorrow.” Sujeong informed as she hung up.

“So that was what she truly felt the whole time…” Sujeong thought to herself.

All along, she thought she was supportive of her following her heart. She had always thought it was only her father who was against it. 

Calling the airline company, she booked the earliest flight back.

-

"Dad is awake." Sae Ra informed and Sujeong silently heaved a sigh of relief. 

A thankful teardrop slid from her eyes as she said, "That's great. I'll be back in Seoul by 9AM." 

Putting her phone down, Sujeong picked up her handcarry bag. Miyoung was sitting on the bed with a pout. 

“You’re really not going for the concert? It’s only 2 hou-”

“My dad is sick. He’s more important than our oppas right now., don't you know?!"  Sujeong snapped. 

“I am sorry, I thought he was better so I-” Miyoung was at a loss of words suddenly. 

“I’ve to go now. Sorry.” Sujeong shut the hotel room door behind her abruptly.

In the hotel lift, Sujeong knew she shouldn't have been so harsh with her words. Miyoung said that only becaus she thought Sujeong's father was down with a bad flu since she lied to her. Sujeong didn't want her to recall about her family's car accident mishap. Shaking her head, she shook those thoughts out of her head. She had no time to be guilty over such small matters. 

-

 

Reaching the hospital, Sujeong half jogged to the ward the nurse said her father was admitted into. Before she could barge in, she heard her father’s laughter. She stopped and stared. Looking through the glass, she watched her sister, Sae Ra, peel an apple for her father. Her parents appeared to be laughing at a joke her sister cracked a moment ago. The family scene looked so complete and heartwarming, even without her. Her hands on the door hesitated for a moment before pushing it open. She thought the room fell into an awkward silence at her arrival.

“Appa, are you alright?” Sujeong asked worriedly as she placed her handcarry down.

He nodded at her question but gave no further response.

“Eonnie, you must be tired and hungry, do you want to get some food outsid—” Sae Ra tried to break the stiff silence.

“I am fine.” Sujeong cut her off . 

“Is that how you should be speaking to your sister?” Her mother scolded.

“I—” Before Sujeong could defend herself, her father held his hand up.

“I am tired. I need some rest. All of you can go back home first.” He lied down slowly with the help of his wife supporting his back.

Sujeong bit her inner cheeks so hard that she felt the skin tear a little.

 

 

 

"I am going to you but why is it only getting harder and harder?"

 

Author's Note: 
Special update after so long because it's Myungsoo's birthday /pops party confetti/
Thank you to those who are still sticking around and reading this fic. 
Hope you're enjoying it! :') 
ps. This fic will be coming to an end soon T-T
Please leave a comment if you liked this story :D