03

Afar

“I-I…” Sujeong stammered, avoiding Sungyeol’s intensified gaze.

She had been asked this question multiple times. Her parents, her friends, other fansite masters had asked her that before. She could go on and on listing all the positive qualities of Myungsoo but she didn’t know why before the other INFINITE member, she couldn’t utter a single word. Within seconds, the built up tension faded away as Sungyeol flashed his gummy smile at her.

“Just kidding. Here you go.” He passed the signed album back to her.

Sujeong was about to leave when Sungyeol spoke again.

“Myungsoo, he deserves inspirits’ love.”

“You too, oppa.”

“Thank you, Sujeong-ssi.”

Sungyeol smiled. This time, it was genuine.

-

Sujeong returned home by midnight with her luggage now emptied of the fangoods. The lights were out and she figured everyone was probably sleeping. Dragging her luggage into the room, she took care not to wake her sister. Placing her camera on the table, she sat on the bed tiredly. Sae Ra rolled over, rubbing her eyes.  

“I am sorry for waking you.” Sujeong apologized gently, ruffling her messy hair.

“Was Japan fun?” she blurted out in her half awake state.

“Yes. Go back to sleep, there’s still school tomorrow.” Sujeong cooed.

In the darkness, Sujeong could barely make out her sister’s nod.

 

The Next Morning…

“Sujeong is back.” She vaguely heard her mother's acknowledgement. 

“She will probably be gone tomorrow or the day after.”  Her father replied, closing the door behind them.

Sujeong closed her eyes, brushing aside the hints of biterness in her father’s words. It was time to pay off her sleep debts. Approximately at 3PM, Sujeong woke up to a text message from their Kakao talk group chat. The fansite masters wanted to gather for dinner at Dongwoo’s family restaurant. She washed up and put on some light make up before leaving the house. On their dining table, she left a note for her mum not to make dinner for her.

“Hey.” Miyoung waved excitedly to Sujeong.

“Before we eat, let’s take a picture~” Nicole suggested.

“How about we make finger hearts?” Miyoung posed the idea.

Everyone did Namgrease’s favourite finger heart and took pictures. If not for Dongwoo’s mother urging them to dig in before the food turned cold, they had totally forgotten to tuck in. It was a habit for them to take such outing pictures and post on SNS or Instagram. Truth to be told, a part of them wanted others to see that they had a life apart from chasing the boys. They wanted others to know that they too had friends and would go for gatherings like this, just like any teen or adult. Watching everyone dig in, chatting happily at random encounters in Japan, Sujeong smiled to herself.

Sujeong had always wondered if they didn’t like INFINITE, would everyone have met each other in some way or another in life? Would they be able to become close friends like this? Or would they live without crossing each other’s paths? Nevertheless, she was glad. She fell in love with a boy called Myungsoo and because of him, she met these wonderful people.  

“Yah, what are you thinking? You’re so out of it!” Miyoung stuffed an octopus into .

Sujeong could barely laugh with her filled mouth as she stuffed some vegetables into Miyoung’s mouth in retaliation.

The night was filled with laughter, chattering and squabbling.

“Thank you.” The girls bowed to Dongwoo’s parents after settling the bill.

“Get home safely, alright?” Dongwoo’s father reminded.

“Ne~” They choroused, putting on their shoes.

Leaving Dongwoo’s mini gallery family restaurant, they started hailing cabs. Dongwoo’s family restaurant had never fail to amaze Sujeong each time she visited. The collection of countless Dongwoo pictures, banners, fan art and merchandises at the restaurant was crazy. However, that was partly attributed to the Jang family's kindness and inability to reject fans’ good will and fragile hearts. Sujeong turned back and saw Dongwoo’s mum standing at the entrance despite the cold. Winding down the window, she waved at her and the others in the cab waved too. She flashed a motherly smile before returning the gesture. The cab then drove off and it was only then Sujeong saw Dongwoo’s mum walking back into the restaurant. 

On her way home, Sujeong watched the waters and the city lights reflecting off its surface shimmering. She smiled, capturing the beautiful sight with her bare eyes.

“He would probably have took a photo of this scenery with his camera.” She thought to herself.

“See you soon!” Sujeong said, waving goodbye to Miyoung.

Soon, as in next week- mutually understood. INFINITE’s schedule had also become their schedule for the past years. When INFINITE went on a world tour in 2013, they toured around the globe as well. People mocked that they were like their shadows. Sujeong wanted to think that they were like the moon, and INFINITE was their sun. Sometimes, Sujeong wonder if she hadn’t followed them, what would she be doing with her life. Perhaps, she would be studying in a local university like Sae Ra. However, she was certain without her sun, her world would be darkness. She would not be happy. Because she wouldn’t have these amazing friends and Myungsoo. A life without Myungsoo was something she didn’t want to imagine it. Not at all.

“I’m home~” Sujeong announced softly, stepping into the house.

She was greeted with darkness, once again. It was nothing new but everytime, she still couldn’t help but feel empty inside.

-

He stopped stirring the tea before him and shifted his body closer to sniff its scent. Reclining back into the sofa seat, he smiled with his eyes closed showing his dimples. It was such a simple act but how could it end up being so beautiful like a painting. Perhaps because he was Kim Myungsoo.

Sujeong placed her camera down when she noticed him looking in her direction.

“Why are you here?” He mouthed.  

Shaking his head in amusement, he stood up. Myungsoo joined her at the desk, startling Sujeong a little as she shifted uncomfortably.

Taking the seat opposite her, he crossed his legs casually.

“What would you like to have?” he asked.

“E-Earl Grey tea.” She stuttered slightly.

“Earl grey that is.” He looked towards the waiter who nodded in response.

“You look beautiful today.” Myungsoo stated as if it was the simplest logic in the world.

Sujeong looked down at her lap and the black dress she was wearing before muttering a soft ‘Thank you’.

Looking up again, she locked eyes with him.

“Why are you here?” he asked again with a gentle smile.

Sujeong pondered hard and eventually, she blurted out, “I don’t know.”

He smiled at her response and with that, she woke up. 

Sujeong laid back in bed, hoping to return to the simple but yet beautiful dream. Even if it were just a few seconds more, a few more words exchanged, she was delighted. Because in the realms of dreams, she was finally no longer a fan and he was no longer an idol.

“Just a while more.” She thought to herself, forcing herself to fall back asleep.

 

 

 

 

"The moon exists only because of the sun."

 

Author's Note: 
Hello, my dearest reader :D 
It delights me that someone out there is still reading my work.
Thank you. I truly hope to receive a comment, good or bad (':
Please leave a comment. It will motivate me to update quicker. <33