08

Afar

The girls around Sujeong screamed hysterically as Myungsoo came nearer to the mosh pit. Sujeong took a few steps back, unlike the others. She needed to focus her camera. Then, she noticed Myungsoo seemingly throwing in her direction. Placing the camera down, she met eyes with him. He had confirmed her guess. He threw thrice at her but they were all snatched away by other fans. Showing his empty basket, he pouted in Sujeong’s direction. Sujeong felt her heart being squeezed at his sweet gesture. She mouthed ‘Gwenchana’ at him and he nodded smiling before running off in a kid-like manner.

Confetti flew in all directions as the instrumental of ‘Together’ played in the background. The boys held onto each other’s hands and dipped their heads in the air for a 90 degrees bow. As usual, it lasted for a good 30 seconds. The concert ended and Sujeong was about to leave when a staff approached her. Biting her lips nervously, she discreetly slipped her memory card into her secret pocket. There were incidents when other inspirits reported to the staff only at the end of the concert that the fansites took videos during the concert. And she seriously hated those bitter fans.

“Yes?” Sujeong kept her calm exposure.

“For you.” The staff said, handing her a teddy bear and a black crane.

“Who is this from?” she asked.

The staff who apparently cannot understand Korean scratched his head and left.

Sitting at the café in the hotel, Sujeong took the bear and crane out from her bag. She didn’t know why but her hands started to unfold the crane unconsciously. Sujeong found tears welling up in her eyes when her prediction was proven correct. It was from Myungsoo. She recognized his handwriting in a heartbeat and his words made her feel guilty.

감사합니다…죄송합니다.

“What are you even sorry for?” Sujeong tightened her grip on the paper, crumpling it slightly.

The café played a familiar English song, one Sujeong hadn’t heard for a long time. It was the English song INFINITE sang for the first time in their showcase. The song brought back memories, too many memories in just 3 minutes. Sujeong remembered their first concert when INFINITE had little fans. She remembered the slight disappointment on Myungsoo’s face when they saw the crowd but he still did his very best for the few fans present. She remembered the tears of happiness she shed along with him during their first win. She remembered the first time Myungsoo called her by her name at the fan meeting. 

Sujeong lowered her head in embarrassment and guilt. She had promised to be there for him from the start, till the end. She was supposed to support him unconditionally but she didn’t know when and how she started to get greedier. She wanted more of his attention. She wanted him to look at only her. She wanted him for herself, just like the other possessive fans. Sujeong thought she was ugly. She despised herself for acting like this.

“I should be sorry instead, Myungsoo.” She sighed, folding the crane back.

Honestly, it didn’t and shouldn’t matter. Whether he had a girlfriend or not, she thought to herself. After all, he would never be hers.

She was destined to be his fan, forever.

"I should have known my position." She laughed bitterly. 

-

“Are you tired?” Miyoung asked.

Sujeong turned to face her with her eyes closed. She nodded.

“My heart is tired too.” She thought silently to herself.

“In that case, hurry and sleep.” Miyoung muttered under her breath.

Sujeong nodded once more before drifting to sleep.

-

“INFINITE is not departing so early. Why are we checking in so early?” Miyoung asked, yawning with wide open.

“Yah!” Sujeong covered and gave her a glare.

“Sorry~” She stuck her tongue out cutely.

“I wanted to get Myungsoo oppa a gift.” Sujeong said as she glossed over the Burberry shirts.

“I think he’d like this.” Miyoung pointed to a plain black shirt.

“He has a lot of these already. Let’s go to LV instead.” She held onto the latter and dragged her to another branded boutique.

The staff smiled professionally and offered their help. Sujeong returned the smile nicely and in her limited English knowledge, she managed to say, “I-It’s okay. We are fine.”  

After walking in the store for 15 minutes, Sujeong eventually settled for a LV clutch and had it wrapped nicely.

“What are you writing?” Miyoung peered over and Sujeong quickly finished off her last word and closed it.

“Secret.” She said before slipping it into the bag.

-

“This is for you!” Sujeong hurried along and passed the bag to Myungsoo. His hands were filled with other fans’ gifts but he still took hers with a grateful nod.

Sujeong hurriedly took her camera up to take a few shots before entering the immigration.

In the plane, Sujeong looked over to see Myungsoo still holding onto her gift bag. It seemed that he had passed the other gifts for safekeeping by his manager. It was actions like these that made her fall for him even deeper. So deep that she wondered if she could ever get out of this black hole. Her love for him was getting out of hand and it was difficult for her now. Closing her eyes, Sujeong wished the plane would take her worries away as it takes off.

“Myungsoo hyung, who gave this to you?” Sungjong asked.

Myungsoo looked over in Sujeong’s direction and smiled.

“Sujeong-ssi did.”

Reading her card brought a wide grin on Myungsoo’s face. When Sungyeol was about to take a peek, Myungsoo hurriedly closed it and kept it safely in his clutch.

“What’s that?” His curious gaze still not leaving the clutch.

“Nothing much.” He replied and closed his eyes, hugging the clutch to sleep.

The announcement that they will be reaching Incheon airport in 15 minutes time woke Sujeong up. She stretched her arms in the air and looked around. Some of her friends were still sleeping while others had their laptops open. They were busy editing their photos to post once they arrive. She looked over at the boys and saw Sungyeol annoying Sungjong. Myungsoo was looking out in the window and when he turned back, they met eyes.

Myungsoo smiled in a way that made her heart race every single time.

Sujeong smiled back before reclining in her seat and closing her eyes. Her heart was thumping wildly in her ribcage as if wanting to be set free. She felt conflicted.

Seems like the plane didn’t take her worries away, not even the slightest.

“Ladies and gentleman, we have arrived at Incheon Airport. The time now is 2:00AM KST.”

 

 

"The nearer I am to you, the further I see our distance."

 

Author's Note: 
I am sorry for my slow updates): 
Please do comment as it motivates me greatly to update quicker. 
It saddens me as it seems like nobody is interested to read this anymore T-T