04

Afar

“You got Myungsoo oppa a gift?” Sujeong glanced over at Nicole’s branded carrier.

“I got him a new jacket, it costs 100,000 KRW.” Nicole boasted with a smug smile.

“I see.” Sujeong replied, adjusting her camera lens.

She disliked it whenever Nicole treated her with hostility. Both of them loved Myungsoo and were the biggest Myungsoo fansites following him since INFINITE’s debut. She knew that many of them would secretly compare them; in terms of who have better HD pictures or whose camera Myungsoo looked at more. She had seen how others compared their followers count, fan support projects participants and even individual photo retweets. The extent that they go to disgusts her sometimes. However, it all comes in a package. They were no longer simple fans that loved INFINITE, after all. She knew it well but she was still slowly growing accustomed.

Then, INFINITE entered the departure gates and the fansite masters immediately gathered together. Instantly, the airport resembled a press conference. Flashlights and shutters sounds were seen and heard everywhere. The airport staff seemed to have grown used to such scenarios as they moved aside calmly to observe. Myungsoo took off his shades and adjusted his fringe cutely with one hand. Sujeong focused her camera at Myungsoo and watched him pass his passport with a plush toy behind her camera. She laughed at his cuteness and continued to snap more shots. His four dimensional personality was what made her fall deeper. ‘Out of the world’ would be an apt description to describe her boy, she thought.

The boys walked past the fansite masters who trailed behind them. Nicole jogged up to the boys and caught up with Myungsoo. Walking by his side, she put her camera down.

“Oppa, please accept this~” Nicole said with a bright smile, holding out her bag.

“Thank you.” Myungsoo bowed slightly, accepting the gift.

“Oppa, please accept this~” Woohyun mimicked, walking beside the two.

Nicole blushed in response while Myungsoo laughed with a hand over his mouth. Sujeong bit back a smile as she continued videoing the scene. The boys always had a way to make everyone comfortable. At such times, they didn’t feel like faraway stars anymore. They were like friends and Sujeong wished they really were. Woohyun continued to mimic Nicole’s words, causing her to blush further.  It was rare seeing Nicole like this, Sujeong thought. She was truly embarrassed.

“Stop it, oppa.” Nicole smacked Woohyun lightly on his arm.

“Ouch, ouch.” Woohyun groaned, holding his arm.

Myungsoo turned back and looked at Woohyun for a moment before continuing to walk.

 “INFINITE needs some rest already. Please stop filming.” The manager cut between the fansite masters and INFINITE.

The boys waved at the fansite masters as a final fan service before walking quickly ahead. Sujeong spotted Myungsoo peeking into the bag Nicole passed him. He smiled and she knew he liked her gift. She made a mental note to get him something next time.

-

Who is she to hit Woohyun oppa like this? [+378, -20]

Even if she is a fansite master, she cannot hit our INFINITE oppa! [+500, -37]

Woohyun just injured his arm, was she even thinking when she hit him?! [+478,-21]

INFINITE's manager had to shoo her away from Woohyun, shame on her. [+301,-21]

‘Nowtoinfinity’ should close down right now !!! [+320,-25]

‘Myungift’ must be happy now that ‘Nowtoinfinity’ is closing down~ [+178,-7]

Sujeong scrolled through the forum with a deep frown. The moment they returned to Seoul from Hong Kong, news about Nicole hurting Woohyun started spreading. Video footages of the snipped scenes circulated on the net. It grown out of control in such a short period of time. Suddenly, even international inspirits joined in and demanded her explanation. Many started to spam her accounts with negative remarks and demands for Nowtoinfinity to close down. It had gotten serious. Sujeong knew very well that beneath Nicole’s strong front lies a soft girl who would be easily hurt by those dagger-like words.

Those netizens knew nothing close to half the truth but they spoke as if they knew everything. They weren’t even there at the situation but they remarked as if they witnessed with their own two eyes. Sujeong recalled how Woohyun cried out in pain but she knew he was probably faking it and playing with them. He always did. Myungsoo even looked back once but he continued walking. If he was really hurt by Nicole’s light hit in the arm, Myungsoo would have turned back for him and Woohyun would not be smiling. Their smiles spoke otherwise. They weren’t bothered by Nicole’s instinctive reaction but they fans were extremely bothered.

Everyone was holding it against Nicole. She was carried away playing with the boys because he , but the irrational fans weren’t ready to hear this explanation. Sujeong went to Nicole’s fansite twitter profile, ‘Nowtoinfinity’ and saw her individually replying to the fans who questioned her about the situation. However, the more she explained, the more twisted the truth gets. The words lashed out by fans got harsher and it hurt Sujeong even by reading.

 

Hours later…  

Dear all,

I am sorry for the mistake I made at Incheon airport that day. I own up to my mistake of hitting Woohyun because I was carried away by his teasing. Just as what everyone requested, I will close down ‘Nowtoinfinity’ as a form of my official apology. I am sorry. I really am.
–Nowtoinfinity

 

The notice finally came. Many rejoiced at Nowtoinfinity's closure and people thought Sujeong would too because her fansite, Myungift, suddenly had a spike in followers. However, she was far from being happy. It hurt her re-reading those sent double-ticked Kakaotalk messages that went ignored and Nicole’s closure notice. She guessed Nicole would think she was being sarcastic and pretentious with her comforting messages. Or perhaps she was simply not in the mood to reply anyone. She knew more than anyone else her love for infinite, the hardship they went through to build up their fansite fanbase and in a blink of an eye, everything was gone. Her love for Myungsoo remained but the love her fans had for her disappeared in seconds.

“If only people don’t jump to conclusions so readily…” Sujeong sighed.

She would have spoken up for Nicole if she had agreed to her suggestion in the messages but she figured, it would only make things worse. The fans would think the fansite masters were covering up for each other’s mistakes. They only wanted to believe what they think is right. They had overlooked the truth and the fact that they were humans who can make mistakes, too. It seemed that the apologies and her heart to repent meant nothing. All that remained were forceful demands, hurtful words and scars.

Nicole left the group chat.

 

 

 

 

"Sometimes, what you hear, read or even see may not be the whole truth."