05

Afar

It was the first time Sujeong found herself rushing to the airport knowing INFINITE would not be there. She ran as fast as she could the moment she got off the taxi. Then, she spotted her fellow fansite masters admist the crowd. She caught up with them and they rushed hurriedly towards the departure gate together. People stared and nodded away, deducing the group were about to miss their flight. The girls couldn’t be bothered about what the bystanders thought of them anyways. 

“Nicole!” Sujeong shouted. 

She spun around in surprise upon seeing her friends lined up before her, panting heavily.

“Why are all of you here?” She gasped.

“You idiot.” Miyoung scolded as she ran up and hugged her.

Nicole hugged the crying petite girl back with tears falling uncontrollably. The rest gathered around them and joined in for a group hug. Nicole found herself crying harder at the unexpected farewell by her friends. She had wanted to disappear quietly. She hated farewells because she knew this would happen. It only made ‘goodbye’ harder.

“How could you only tell Yeon Ji you were leaving…” Miyoung mumbled between tears.

“I am sorry.”

“Are you sure about this? You don’t have to-”

“I’ve always wanted to go to the States to further my studies. The incident only brought forward my decision. I am fine. Really. Don’t worry.” She reassured.

“I will miss you.” Sujeong confessed.  

“Me too.” Nicole chuckled, wiping away a strand tear from her cheek.  

“It’s time for me to board the plane.” Nicole checked the time and said, putting on her brightest smile.

“We will meet again, right?” Miyoung tugged at her sleeve sadly.

“Yes, definitely.” She responded.

“INFINITE will be going to LA next month, remember?” She reminded.

Smiles lit up their faces at her response and they waved back at the leaving girl.

“Take care of yourself!”

 “Annyeong!”

“See you soon!”

With that, Nicole entered the departure gates without turning back.

They knew she probably didn’t want them to see her crying.

-

Sujeong felt tears b in her eyes when she saw Myungsoo enter the departure gates. He was wearing the gift Nicole gave him. It didn’t take her long to recognise it. Myungsoo scanned the crowd and returned his gaze to the front. Sujeong felt her heart being squeezed as she looked Myungsoo wearing the jacket. She remembered the day when Nicole was b with excitement while holding onto the gift bag, and waiting for Myungsoo to appear. If she were here, she knew she would be jumping around in joy and blabber incoherent words. She always had a 4D side that reminded her of hyper Dongwoo.  

Sujeong stopped walking when she noticed Myungsoo halted. He turned to his side and looked to Sujeong. He noticed she was still filming him and he smiled. Pointing at the jacket, he stared into her DSLR lens and whispered a soft ‘Thank you’. After which, he continued walking, leaving a dazed Sujeong behind. It happened so quickly that Sujeong thought she was imagining things. Sujeong felt a warm feeling in her chest at his actions.

“Myungsoo knew.” Sujeong thought to herself.

Sujeong sent the video to Nicole that night and she knew she would probably be bawling her eyes out at the video. The girl must be overjoyed knowing Myungsoo wore her gift and noticed her absence. Within the next hour, she received a reply from Nicole. Excitedly, she opened the chat. 

To: Sujeong

He is making me miss him. Thank you, Sujeong.

Sujeong had expected a reply filled with caps and incomprehensible typos.

To: Nicole

You’re welcome!! I miss you.): How’s school?

Her next reply came a week later, “It’s stressful but fun.” Sujeong wondered if Nicole had found new friends, new besties and a new life which didn’t consist of them. People always talked about how distance changes relationship. Sujeong never really believed those words in the past.

-

On a free day, Sujeong found herself sitting at the corner seat of Myungsoo’s recommended café, reading her favourite book and enjoying a cup of Caramel latte. She valued alone time, especially when she had things on her mind.  Sujeong understood why Myungsoo liked this café in particular. The cafe had a relaxing ambience and it was always quiet. Sujeong closed the book, slipping in a bookmark between her stopped pages. Her eyes were getting tired from hours of reading. Stepping out from the fantasy world in the book, she finally realised it was getting late. Somehow, the cafe reminded Sujeong of the cafe Myungsoo was at in Sunggyu's 60 Seconds MV. Gathering her things, she stood up. Then, she thought she saw someone familiar. Despite his black cap, shades and mask, it didn’t take long for her to realise who it was. Sujeong sat back in her seat and took her phone out. 

“Just a few shots.” She thought to herself.

She has always been amazed at how Myungsoo appeared so perfectly in her pictures. He was so beautiful, like a walking piece of art. In any scenario or location, he appears to be in a photoshoot in those pictures. Sujeong watched how Myungsoo stopped stirring the tea before him and shifted his body closer to sniff its scent. Reclining back into the sofa seat, he smiled with his eyes closed showing his dimples. The exact actions he did was like a replicate of her dream scene. Sujeong gasped in response, wondering if he would now notice her and mouth, "Why are you here?" 

Sujeong felt her heart race quicker at the thought of it. 

“Myungsoo oppa!” She squealed, taking the seat beside him.

“Do you miss me~” The girl asked, lying on his shoulder.

Sujeong watched Myungsoo ruffle her long, wavy hair and tears welled up in her eyes.

 

 

 

"Promises remain as promises before they are discovered to be broken." 

 

 

Author's Note: 
You guys don't know how much your comments mean to me.
Thank you so much to all subscribers, readers and commenters! 
Are you guys enjoying this story so far? ^^ <3