08.

Poison & Wine
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Hanbin

 

"You okay?"

He stood at the end of the room, arms crossed over his chest, basically just looking directly at me with what seemed like bored eyes.

After Jinhwan and the rest of the guys left, Jiwon escorted them out and came back again. I really wish I could just fall asleep instantly or that he wouldn't return so I could avoid this awkward situation. Why do I always end up in these situations though? Why does it always feel like this is so bound to happen? I glanced back at him and saw his worried face. I didn't know if I should believe it or not, but this was Jiwon; he is different, and he hates the world so much. Seeing him like this, in this room, with me, seemed real.

"The doctor said I'm fine, so I guess I am now," I replied, trying not to look at his eyes. I looked down and fixed my duvet. I felt him moving towards me as he stopped just right at the end of my bed, and I felt my bed sinking slightly so I could lie properly on my back. "W-what are you doing?"

"Helping you lie down," he answered. "You have to sleep now."

I groaned. I didn't want to sleep yet. I'd been sleeping for so many days already, and I felt my brain cells going numb. "Can I just stay awake for like 20 minutes? I've been asleep forever," I stated. He smirked, nodding. I sat up and faced him. He looked into my eyes, raising an eyebrow. "Why?"

"What do you mean?" he asked, seeming very confused.

"Why are you here? You haven't slept for a couple of days, you look tired, you're even pale. What's wrong with you?"

"I have nothing else to do, I guess?" He took a deep breath and turned his back on me, sitting on the nearest couch, picking up a magazine and starting to read. "Just go to sleep, Hanbin. Pretend I'm not here." He added.

I sighed. How could I talk to someone who didn't want to talk to me? Right, I must have forgotten the rules he was trying to imply between us, but why should I follow them when he's the one breaking them, staying here and pretending to care. I took a deep breath before throwing off the duvet and starting to stand up, grabbing the stool beside me and dragging it along. I heard Jiwon sigh and put down the magazine. He stood up, and I felt him watching me, waiting for my next move.

"What now?" he asked. "Can't you just lie down and sleep?"

"I need some fresh air. You don't have to follow me around, leave me be," I said, not even looking back.

"Are you really this stupid?" he blurted out, grabbing the stool and pulling it slightly towards him. "Can't you at least be patient and just sleep?"

"Jiwon, you don't have to pretend to care, just let me. I just need air," I said, not even looking back.

"I don't really care, but you're under the same roof as me, and I don't want them to think it's my fault."

Oh. Right. This is Jiwon. Who am I kidding?

I didn't listen; I just wanted to get out of that room. I didn't know why I was feeling so emotional, but I felt like my hormones were raging. I didn't even know why my chest felt like it had been stabbed a million times. Why do I care? I don't really care, do I? I mean, what do I expect from this man? Of course, he only cares about himself, of course, he doesn't care about me or anything in this world. Screw the way he stares, screw the way he holds me, guides me, and takes care of me while I've been sleeping for a couple of days, screw it all. I felt my jaw tighten as I hastily pulled myself together and walked out, but before getting to the door—

I found myself back on the bed. I winced at the sudden movement, feeling a sharp pain in my back. Did he just throw me on the bed?!

"What the— Ji—

"Shut the hell up!" He shouted. I stopped. I gulped and looked at him; he was really mad. I didn't even know what to do, what to say; he looked scary. His brows were furrowed, his facial muscles tightening visibly, he was glaring at me, and I couldn't— I couldn't do anything! "Don't do anything stupid, just don't." He said, trying not to burst.

"You are so selfish," I said, attempting to sit up, but I stopped when he walked toward me. "You are so selfish, Jiwon. You don't even know how much I've tried my best to meet your standards. You don't know the struggle of—"

"Stop."

"No! You don't understand. I was trying, you know? I was trying my bes

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter