Heart and Soul

Songs Of My Life
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

A/N: Before you begin this new chapter I just want to thank EACH AND EVERY SINGLE DAMN ONE OF YOU. I want to throw you all a party and bring you individual gift baskets of rainbows and fluffy animals and personal EXO members. I just logged on and checked the responses for this story and I’m so damn emotional right now I think I’m going to cry. (Shhhh it has nothing to do with it being 3 AM) I literally just wanted to put pen to paper and legitimately was expecting zero response so thank you all for highly exceeding my expectations. Thank you to all of you who have read to this point and for those of you who will continue to stick around after this chapter and for the long haul.

P.S. If you check the foreword I will be putting up a link that will (hopefully) send you to a playlist of exactly what songs/versions I was referencing. It’ll be updated with every chapter. I sincerely hope you enjoy~~~

 

 

 

 

 

 

“So are you gay now?”

Chanyeol nearly did a spit take of his soda and he glared at Sehun from across the bench. They were alone at their table in the university cafeteria so luckily no one paid any mind to their conversation, but that didn’t stop him from glancing around nervously, “What?” he sputtered.

“I’m asking if I need to start covering my junk when I’m walking around at home.”

“God! No! I mean yeah! You should do that anyway, but can you stop just springing these questions on me?”

“I just need to know so I can be prepared when you try to pounce me,” he grinned.

Chanyeol rubbed his flushed face in his hands, “I’m going to kill you. How many times do I need to tell you,” he dropped his voice to a whisper. “It’s just Baekhyun.”

Sehun frowned and whispered back, “And Kyungsoo.”

“You need to stop holding that against me,” he snapped irritably. “I already told you it really was just that one time, and it was a mistake. I already feel bad enough about it as it is without you bringing it up every five seconds.”

“I just think the problem is that you didn’t take it as seriously as he did. It might not have been ‘a mistake’ to him,” he used air quotes and made a disdainful expression.

“Give Kyungsoo some credit, Sehun. He’s been much more adult than you have about this. We both knew it was a one-time thing.”

“That doesn’t mean he doesn’t hope it wasn’t a one-time thing,” Sehun muttered.

“What?”

“Nothing. So, about Baekhyun, can you, like, give me a heads up before I come home so I never have to hear you doing it?”

“Can you NOT?” whined Chanyeol, returning to hiding behind his fingers. “Besides…I don’t even know if he’s…gay….yet.”

Sehun scoffed and leaned his head on his arm, “Listen, Chanyeol…buddy…. If I know a gay man – and I’m not saying I do. I’m straight do you hear me? – but if I ever saw someone gay, it’s going to be Byun Baekhyun.”

“How can you be so sure?”

“Please,” he rolled his eyes. “The guy is so dainty that if it got windy he’d probably get blown away. Everything he does is delicate. The other day I told him a dirty joke and he squealed like a girl. I mean he blushes at everything.”

“He does, doesn’t he…?” Chanyeol sighed, he had really come to like seeing that amazing pink and red color Baekhyun’s pale cheeks. Honestly, when they were together he like a middle-school boy just to see him blush.

Sehun snapped his fingers, “Earth to Chanyeol! Now is not the time to fantasize! Do that later when you’re alone in your room.”

“I wasn’t!”

“Sure, you weren’t. Just like I’m not about to leave you and your dream boy alone.”

“Wha-“But before he had finished exclaiming, Sehun had grabbed his tray and quickly departed the table. He was in the middle of becoming confused when a soft hand poked his shoulder blade. His response was to arch his back away from the pressure and give an undignified yelp. It earned a few glances and a silence from the tables around him.

He heard the perpetrator laugh heartily and he turned around to see Baekhyun smiling down at him, his breath hitched in his throat. Was it his imagination or did he have a halo around his head?

“Hi,” said Baekhyun. “Are you done with lunch?”

Chanyeol finally managed to breathe, “Yeah, I was just about to head to the practice room….Want to come?”

“Sure, let me grab some food to bring. I’ll be right back!” he scurried off to the shelves with the pre-packaged sandwiches and milk, and it gave Chanyeol a moment to restart his heart, which felt like it had been palpitating erratically. He should probably see a doctor, he thought mildly.

 

 

They met up a moment later at the door to the cafeteria and walked together to the Music Department.

“What did your parents end up thinking about the other day?”

“Oh, well it was pretty much what I expected. They were both steaming until I told them what happened,” air quotes, ”and then they told me how very responsible you were.” He laughed. “But they also implied very strongly that I shouldn’t do it again because then what are the neighbors going to think?” he frowned and imitated his mother’s voice.

Chanyeol in a breath, “That’s pretty harsh…I really am sorry.”

“Don’t be, I had fun. And I’m used to it,” he smiled and shrugged.

Chanyeol wondered why anyone should have to be used to it, especially at Baekhyun’s age.

When they arrived, the practice room was empty and Baekhyun sat at the round table to eat while Chanyeol removed his acoustic guitar from one of the lockers in the back.

While Baekhyun chewed his sandwich, Chanyeol played him soft melodies, lightly strumming and picking at the strings. He could tell Baekhyun was watching him but he could also see him eyeing the keyboard in the corner.

He was surprised when Baekhyun stood and walked over to it, brushing his fingers across the dusty keys. Chanyeol gently set his guitar back in its case and walked over to join him, “You said you’d played once, right?” He knew the answer.

“Yeah, when I was a kid I took lessons…”

“How much do you remember?” A lot.

“Not much, maybe a few songs.”

“What about this one?” He clumsily played a tune with a single finger.

“Heart and Soul? Really? Even babies know that one,” he grinned playfully and stood fully in front of the keyboard. “C’mon, I’ll play the hard part.” He nodded Chanyeol over with his head.

He probably didn’t expect Chanyeol to stand right behind him because when his back hit Chanyeol’s chest he in a sharp breath, but he started playing anyway. Chanyeol noticed how easily his fingers moved over the keys, something only a practiced hand could do. But he ignored it. He’d let Baekhyun have his little lie for now, he had a feeling it would come out eventually.

The difference in their hands were noticeable, and not only just in size. Baekhyun’s light dexterity really showed in his half of the song, while Chanyeol’s half was clunky, but neither of them minded. Maybe it was just the feeling of the song but even the cacophony sounded good right then.

Soon he couldn’t help it, he muttered the lyrics under his breath, knowing that in this proximity there was no way Baekhyun could possibly miss them.


Heart and soul, I fell in love with you,

Heart and soul, the way a fool would do,
Madly...
Because you held me tight,
And stole a kiss in the night...

The tempo of their playing slowed to an agonizing pace.

They sang the last verse together, Baekhyun’s clear voice ringing out in the empty space over Chanyeol’s low harmony.

But now I see, what one embrace can do,
Look at me, it's got me loving you,
Madly...
That little kiss you stole,
Held all my heart and soul.

At the same time they stopped playing, tension thick in the air, Chanyeol could feel his breath growing heavy and he wondered if the man in front of him could feel it too. He felt himself start to lean towards him, his neck inching closer.

And suddenly a loud banging sound filled the room and he found himself jumping back.

“Wha-!?”

Baekhyun had started smashing his fingers down on the keyboard, playing a horribly rough version of “Twinkle Twinkle Little Star.” He turned and laughed at Chanyeol who was struggling to disentangle himself from some cardboard boxes he’d landed in.

“You scared me!” he yelled. “I thought I was going to piss my pants!”

He stuck his tongue out like a kid and Chanyeol glared at him jokingly. He quickly made his way to the door and Baekhyun asked, “Where are you going?”

“I wasn’t kidding about the pee. I got to go.”

Baekhyun blushed and Chanyeol laughed but as soon as the practice room door was shut he sunk to the floor in a squat, realizing he’d been trembling. His hands shook as he brought them up to his face. He thought about what he’d done. What he’d tried to do. In that moment he’d wanted to hold him. To turn him around and kiss him. He’d practically just confessed to the guy and he was sure if Baekhyun hadn’t noticed his feelings before then he definitely knew now.

And now he was so confused. Because Baekhyun had sung along. There’d been no real reason for him to, but he did. He’d given Chanyeol sufficient encouragement, right? But he’d also broken the tension just as quickly. Was it an accident? Was he really just that oblivious? Or was he actually extremely aware of what had been about to happen?

Chanyeol groaned. Baekhyun was becoming very…frustrating.

It had been a long time since Chanyeol had tried to pursue a serious relationship, recently he’d preferred the one-night-stand, and it was his first time trying to have a relationship with another man. He was playing the delicate balance between friends and lovers but he still wasn’t quite sure if Baekhyun was in the game.

When he pushed, Baekhyun pulled….

He would have to make a big push then, if they were going to stop this cat and mouse game. There seemed no chance of Baekhyun suddenly confessing his love for Chanyeol as he seemed to think him a very good friend. So Chanyeol was going to have to say it first, and the thought made him turn crimson with embarrassment and anticipation. He’d only said “I love you” to his parents before, one of the reasons his girlfriends had dumped him in the past.

And he realized he did love him. When had he surpassed the point of like? When did this all begin? Like the speed of light that small man was wrapping him around his finger and Chanyeol’s only response was to tangle himself up further.

Something was changing him.

“Byun Baekhyun, you better realize how special you are,” he muttered under his breath, head in his hands.

Now wasn’t the time to brood about this. Baekhyun was waiting. He collected himself and as quietly as possible stood and re-entered the room, pretending he’d just returned from the restroom.

They weren’t alone for a second before Kyungsoo entered the room, followed by a dark-skinned stranger. Chanyeol breathed a small sigh of relief at the interruption.

Kyungsoo strode across the room toward Chanyeol, leaving his companion to stand awkwardly near Baekhyun, with whom he exchanged silent and shy nods.

“What are you doing here?” he asked.

“Sehun said you

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter