TWO

The Difference between Fiction and Fact

"Umma! good morning!" The young boy grinned as he kissed his mother on the cheek. "Morning? It's 12 pm!" His mother leaned away playfully glaring at her son. The boy whined and shook his shoulders, acting cute. "Ah umma~ it's the weekend I wanted to sleep in," 

"Okay okay, stop whining and go do the dishes," 

"Why do I have to do the dishes? Let Haeyeonie noona do it!" 

"Your sister is helping in the restaurant cleaning the tables and serving the customers, so you're going to help with the dishes, we can't serve our customers there food on dirty plates now! now go," 

His mother smacked his as she pushed him towards the kitchen.

 

The restaurant doors opened and a girl walked in taking a seat on a small table by the wall and the lady smiled walking over to her, "Omo it's been a while, it's nice to see you again sweetie, how are you?" The girl smiled "I'm fine, and how are you , Mrs. Yang?" she asked.

"I'm fine as well, would you like to order the usual?"

"Yes please! That would be great,"

Mrs. Yang nodded and walked towards the kitchen, "Yoseob-ah get me one order of cold noodles and a cola," Mrs. Yang called out "Ne umma!" Yoseob responded as he went to ask his dad to make the order. Mrs. Yang put some side dishes together and brought it on the tray setting it on the girls table. "If you need anything else let me know okay?" The girl nodded and smiled before taking out her notebooks.

The girl ate her noodles and when she finished she opened her notebook and started to write in it. 

 

The girl watched the interactions of the owners kids and laughed quietly to herself when she saw his older sister hitting him in the back of the head. "ah noona~" the boy whined, "there are customers watching, why are you doing this in front of everyone?" his sister then responded, "good let them watch so that know what kind of kid you are," 

                                                                                                 

                                                                                                      *******

 

Junmi felt her phone begin to vibrate, she reached into her pocket and smiled when she saw her father calling, "Hi dad!" she answered excitedly, "Oh Junmi-ah, we need you to come home right away we have something important to tell you," Junmi was about to ask what was so important but before she could her father had already hung up on her. 

Junmi sighed and collected her things leaving the restaurant and took the bus home. 

 

When she arrived she saw her parents sitting in the living room, she sat beside her mother and looked at both of them. "What's up? What did you have to tell me?" 

"Well me and your mother are going on a business trip to England tomorrow morning," her father explained. Junmi furrowed her brows, "so we want you to pack your things, anything that you need, we're going to be gone for a month," Junmi perked up, "Am I going with you?" Her parent shook their heads, "No sweetie we can't bring you with us, you'll be staying at your uncles house, they'll be picking you up from home after school tomorrow, we'll leave you a credit card and some cash to use while we're gone," 

Junmi's eyes widened, "But...I want to go with you, I'd rather go with you than stay with him!" 

"Sweetie, we can't have you miss a month of school, we don't have anyone else we trust around here for you to stay with," 

"But mom, I don't want to stay with them, why can't you just let me stay home alone?"

"We can't it's dangerous to leave you home alone,"

"It doesn't matter! I'm always home alone anyway! you guys are never home you're always out at work or some kind of business trip! So what difference would it make if you just left me home alone?" Junmi shouted, she was upset. "Junmi, just stay with your uncle, he'll take care of you and you get home cooked meals and the-"

Junmi cut her father off as he spoke, "No I don't care! I know how to cook! I know how to clean! I've always been taking care of myself. I don't want to go there, I don't like it there, if you can't leave me home alone then just take me with you instead. I'd rather be home alone in an empty house then alone with them!" Junmi stood up and ran up to her room. 

 

                                                                                                      *******

 

I skipped school today and stayed in my room, my parents left early in the morning and I stayed in bed. My parents were almost never never home, and now they were leaving me for a month. I felt like they never wanted to be around me. They never do anything for me. Whenever I was in the hospital they never came to check on me they only called, they don't know what happens in school, they don't know what I like and dislike...they knew almost nothing about me. I don't want anything from them but for them to play their role as parents. I feel like I'm unwanted by them and they'll just take any chance they can to not be around me. Some parents right? 

I let out a heavy sigh and forced myself out of bed and started to pack my things into two large suit cases. After I was finished I filled the tub and added some chocolate scented bubble bath. Once the tube was full I stripped off my clothes and lowered myself into the tub and closed my eyes relaxing my body. I began to think of ways to avoid being around my uncle and his son. I hated them both so much. 

A few hours later I looked at the clock and let out another sigh, they would be here to pick me up soon. I brought my things to the front door and waited for them to arrive.

They knocked on the door and I hesitantly opened it, my uncle and his wife were there to greet me with a smiled. I forced a smiled and my uncle took my things putting them into the trunk of his car and then we took off to his home.