NINE

The Difference between Fiction and Fact

During lunch I decided to sit and eat at my desk, I told Dongwoon I felt like eating alone when he texted me. I took out my lunch box and put it on my desk as I opened it putting the dishes side by side. My aunt wanted me to eat more meet so she made rice with stir fried beef on the side and of course some side dishes like Kimchi and radish. I picked up my chopsticks and Jongin sat beside me after going to buy food from the school store. "Can I join you today? I always wanted to eat with you but you're always going off somewhere," He said with a grin. I stared at him and slowly nodded while shrugging. "Sure... I guess, that is your desk after all," I was honestly hoping to be alone today but I can't really kick someone out from their own desk. I turned my head away as I sat himself down and I began to eat my food.

"Oh that looks good, did you make?" He asked and I shook my head. "Can I try some?" I looked up at him furrowed my brows. We weren't close so why was he asking if I would share my food with him? But before I could even answer my he had already reached over, taking some of the meat from my lunch box and ate it. I stared at him in disbelief and I swear I could here someone scoffing right then.

"This is good! Who ever made it must be a great cook!" He grinned widely at me. "I wish my mom wasn't too busy to make me lunch, I have always have to buy lunch"

"I see..." I said quietly and looked back at my food and I slowly started to eat again.

Later that day during gym period someone, and when I say someone I mean Minhee, decided to trip me while we were running laps and I twisted my ankle. Jongin quickly volunteered to take me to the nurses office, claiming he wanted to go anyway because he was feeling sick.

Jongin is a strange guy, why is he always trying to be friendly with me? I was suspicious of him first, thinking the girls might have paid him to do something to me, but he would have done it already if that was the case.

Though strangely I felt like I could trust him.

After the nurse wrapped a bandage around my ankle I laid down on one of the beds and so did Jongin, turns out he really was feeling sick.

I stayed silent and closed my eyes trying to fall asleep. But then I heard a loud sigh, I peeked a little through my eyes and looked at Jongin, he had his arm over his eyes, covering them. Although I couldn't see his face completely I could tell something was wrong. Maybe he was more sick than I thought. I closed my eyes again.

"Junmi-si" I opened my eyes again, "are you awake?" 

I didn't know if I wanted to answer but his voice sounded different from usual. Almost as if he was sad. 

"Y-yes, I am" I stuttered a bit.

"Can I ask for a favor? I'll do anything in return," 

"As long as it's within my abilities..."

"Can...you ask your mother to make me lunch too? You can tell her I'm girl friend so there's no misunderstandings," 

I was quiet for a moment confused by his request. 
"I just...I just want to eat a home cooked meal, my mother...she's always working so she's rarely home...and my step-dad he's...well he's busy in Japan," He spoke quietly. 

I understood how he felt, to have to always be home alone, or have your parents on some kind of trip. I felt a little bad and I took in a deep breath before speaking. 

"Sure I'll do that...but it's my aunt who makes the food, the only thing I want is to make sure to thank her someday,"

I sat up, "and don't be picky or I'll hit you."

I laughed a little. "That's easy," He took his arm off his face and looked at me with a smile, but when I looked at his eyes I could tell he wasn't really smiling on the inside.

 

 

Once school ended Jongin left first after helping me to the classroom to grab my things. I grabbed my bag and looked through it to search for my phone to call my aunt to pick me up or send me a taxi. But as I searched for it I couldn't find it, I looked in my desk, my pockets and then my bag once again. 

"Looking for this?" I looked up to see Minhee and her friends smirking at me. Minhee was holding my phone in her hand. "Don't worry you're still not popular, you didn't get any messages...well there was one, but don't worry I told them you're on cleaning duty today," she said in mocking tone before throwing my phone to the ground, and stomping on it, making sure it was broken. 

I looked at her with widened eyes as two of her friend walked up to me and grabbed me by my arms and started dragging me somewhere. 

I kept struggling trying to get out of their hold but when I did that they tossed me to the ground and began kicking me. "stop ing struggling you , you think you're so great because you're ing Kim Jongin?" she scoffed through her teeth and the girl grabbed me again. "Jongin is ing mine, you understand, so stay the away from him!" 

I didn't understand this girl, she already had a boyfriend but she still chased after other men behind his back...and I'm the . 

The girls then tossed me into a small storage closet and beat me up a little more as I sobbed and tried to cover myself. I was still covering my head when they walked away. But then I heard the door shut and the sound of it being locked. 

I peeked through my hands and it was dark. This room had no windows. I slowly started to panic.

I quickly got up and tried to find the light switch but the light wasn't working. I started to grow more scared.

I hated the dark. Bad things happened to me when I was younger when it was dark. Bad things always happen when it's dark.  

I started to feel suffocated and my breathing got heavier. I quickly closed my eyes, not wanting to see anything. My fear of the dark was so strong that my mind would play tricks on me making me see and feel things that aren't there. It would make me remember things I didn't want to remember. I slowly stood up and tried to open the door but it was firmly locked.

I turned around and I saw a dark figure, I knew it wasn't there, I knew it was just in my mind, but it felt so real. I saw my cousin, and I saw him. But that man had died long ago. So why did I still feel scared?

I then felt as if I was being touched...exactly the way they did on those nights. I started screaming and crying but no one came to help. I started hyperventilating and sweating and soon I passed out.

 

When I woke up later it was still dark, and I was still in the room. I had no idea what time it was and how long I had been here. My fear began to creep up on me again and began to cry and wail again. Screaming for help and trying to catch my breath. 

After a while I heard the door knob being twisted but the door didn't open.

Finally someone came. 

I was starting to clam down a little as the boys spoke to me and asked me questions. 

When they asked my name the boy some how knew my name and I was silent. The suddenly I remembered the last time my cousin touched me, he was saying my name when he did it. I began to panic again. 

"I...hate...the...dark" I said breathlessly. I truly hated it. I tightly shut my eyes. 

When the door finally opened my natural instincts kicked in and the first thing I did was jump at the first person who was there and I hugged them tight as I started crying in relief. 

I was too weak and tired to stand up so they carried me. I couldn't see their faces because of the tears but their voices sounded familiar. I tried to think of who they were but then I fell asleep.