Similarity

He's Not You

I wasn't able to ask Chanyeol about his problems because he kept insisting that we see each other again. I did not really said yes about it but...

"Dear, there is a boy at our doorstep, looking for you," My mom, out of excitement, suddenly opened the bathroom. I was still covered with soap and my hair was still damp with shampoo.

"GOSH, MOM THERE IS A BOY OUTSIDE AND YOU OPENED THE BATHROOM DOOR?!" I panicked and tried to cover my body with my hands.

"Right! But he's tall and handsome and-"

"Mom, just let him in and let me finish taking a bath!" I cut her off, feeling uncomfortable with the fact that there is a boy outside our house.

"Okay," she quickly ran away without closing the door.

Without closing the door. HOLY...

"MOM CLOSE THE DOOR!!!" I shouted in panic.

"Oh, I'm sorry!" My mom ran and closed the door.

***

"So, Chanyeol, what's your father's job?" I could hear my mother asked from a far. I sort of pity her that I couldn't get myself a suitor for years. She's probably excited seeing a boy visiting me in the house.

Plus, Chanyeol's clothes today are a bit dashing. He was wearing a navy blue jacket and a gray shirt underneath it, paired with white pants folded to his ankles and white shoes.

"Hey," I cut the conversation. "Why are you here?"

My mother suddenly whacked my head. "I'm so sorry about her, she's a really rude girl but she's sweet and romantic,"

"Ha-ha! That is so not true!" I said in a singsong voice.

Chanyeol just chuckled to everything he saw. When there was a moment of silence between us, Chanyeol quickly took the opportunity to say something. "Actually, I'm planning to take her to the cemetery,"

"C-Cemetery?!" We both asked.

"Ya, are you planning to bury me alive?!" I asked.

"Why are you taking her there?" My mother asked.

Chanyeol smiled. "Ma'am, I know you'll be terrified to know if I'd ask your daughter out to a cemetery... But I believe it's better to ask you before taking her there. It's actually a very special place to me. I'm also inviting you to join us if you're free,"

My mom looked at me as if asking me if I trust Chanyeol.

"That sounds... Cool," I said. I was surprised that I said cool when it sort of creeped me out, but it also excited me to know what's in the cemetery.

My mom raised her eyebrows. "Do you have a car?"

"Yes, I brought my Chevrolet Camaro convertible with me," he said, waving the car key.

"Okay, I'm allowing you to take her there but you have to bring her back before it gets dark," My mother said and I could still hear anxiousness from her voice.

"Thanks ma'am! I promise to bring her back as soon as possible," Chanyeol said politely.

"Text me when you've reached the cemetery, alright?" My mom reminded.

"Sure, mom," I said.

"And bring the pepper spray, just in case," Mom whispered. 

***

"Oh my gosh," was all I can say with Chanyeol's car. It looks amazing!

"Wait until you get to ride that," Chanyeol said and opened the door for me.

I went inside the car and put my seatbelt on.

Another worst thing about being heartbroken, is that you tend to compare every little thing you saw with the man you like and an ordinary man.

Mark, who once drove me home asked me to put my seatbelt on for safety. Today, I'm doing it by myself. All thanks to him, I've always remembered that.

"Okay, tell me a song and I'll play it for you," Chanyeol said as the engine roared when he started it. It made me feel excited again.

"I think I want to hear Take Over, The Breaks Over by Fall Out Boy," I requested.

"Wow, Fall Out Boy! You're really unique, Jinri. Let's hear it then," Chanyeol touched the screen on the dashboard and chose the song. It played on the radio and the bass boomed loudly.

He then drove off outside our condominium's parking lot and stopped to the sidewalk.

"Jinri, press that oval button and pull the handle. Then turn it clockwise," Chanyeol pointed at the car's roof, where an oval button was placed. I did as what he told, and the roof was suddenly parted.

"Oh my-" I was about to react when he cut me off.

"Great, now push that button," He pointed at another button near the oval one and I excitedly pushed it.

The roof was automatically going down in sync with the windows. I could feel the sun's heat and see its light shining onto us brightly.

Chanyeol wore his shades and smiled at me. "Ain't I cool?"

I snickered and grabbed his face with my hand, pushing it away. "Drive!" I ordered.

I loved how the wind blew my hair. Once again, I felt like I was so free. Chanyeol turned the volume up, and it made me feel so alive.

"Wooohoo!!!" I screamed, without thinking about how other people see me.

"Wouldn't you rather be a widow than a divorcee..." Chanyeol and I sang to the song together.

I threw my hands up in the air and waved it. I felt so light and I felt so excited. My heartbeats were racing fast not because I was nervous.

But because I was surprisingly and inexplicably happy.

 

We reached the cemetery in no time. Chanyeol's driving was averagely fast, but he made sure that he was driving safely.

We walked on a green grass, where people's names were engraved on different kinds of headstones. Chanyeol brought his guitar and a black bag, which he asked me to carry. It was not really heavy, but I wonder what's inside.

"So why are we here? Have you planned for a picnic here?" I asked.

"Sort of?" He said and chuckled.

He brought his guitar down and got the bag he let me carry. From it he got a white blanket and laid it on the grass neatly. He sat on it and patted the space beside him.

I sat next to him and looked at the headstone in front of us that says: Yoo Hyejeong, 1992-2008.

"She died of leukemia," Chanyeol suddenly said and passed a sandwich to me.

"Is she your... Girlfriend?" I asked carefully.

"No," Chanyeol shook his head and got something out of his bag. "But when I met her, I always wished she was." He smiled at me as he gave me a sandwich.

"Th-Thanks," I stammered, because it was my first time hearing Chanyeol being regretful.

"She used to be my classmate back in my middle school years. Her long black hair always caught my attention. I've been crushing on her so much but I could not even say a single 'hi'. The only thing I could do is to watch her walk through the school corridors," Chanyeol narrated and put a flower on the headstone.

"When we turned high school, she suddenly left the school without any of the students knowing. Until one day, big news came out: she died of leukemia and she dropped out of school because she was already too weak to go to school, to live the stressful life of being a student just like ours.

"What really shocked me is that her long black hair is just a wig. But I am sure that she's still beautiful. I just love everything about her. And I'm so ashamed that I can only tell it to her when she's not walking through the school corridors anymore,"

My heart sank for him and I felt tears forming in my eyes. I tried controlling it and tapped Chanyeol's back instead.

"I'm the one who deserves the helmet, right?" Chanyeol looked at me, his almond eyes lost its spark.

"We both deserve it," I said and raised my hand for a hi-five. He replied, tapping his big hand on mine.

Chanyeol sipped on his drink. "See? You're better than me,"

I chuckled. "I'm not some smart girl that can judge you,"

He grabbed his guitar and pulled it out from its case. It was a classical acoustic guitar with steel strings on it. He suddenly played a familiar song - Magic by Coldplay.

"Wow, that's my favorite song," I said.

"Yeah, me too," He said as he kept playing the guitar.

"Call it magic..." He started singing.

I listened to his voice for a while. His voice was so deep, but it was mesmerizing.

As he reached the chorus, I sang with him. Although I hate my favorite songs becoming mainstream, it felt so good to sing your favorite song with someone by your side. It feels like you're not alone in this world and that someone else appreciates the same melody you like.

"Do you know how to play the guitar?" He asked me after the song.

"Yeah, but not as good as you guys are," I honestly said.

He passed the guitar to me. "Let me hear it!"

I rolled my eyes because I had no choice but to play the guitar. I wonder which song to play...

My hands quickly pressed the chords for Secondhand Serenade's Your Call. I know it was a bit 'emo', but the song's nice and it felt so mellow to the ears. Plus, I've mastered playing this song since I was in high school.

"Aha, that's classic! I love that song," Chanyeol raised two thumbs up.

"Waiting for your... Call I'm sick, call I'm angry, call I'm desperate for your words..." I sang. I could see him smiling and swaying his head from side to side to the beat of the song.

"I was born to tell you I love you..." He then joined me in singing as we reached the chorus.

And then after the song, I realized...

"That was Mark's favorite song," I uttered.

"Mark?" He asked.

I looked at him. "My first love..."

There was silence between us.

"Ouch, that honestly made me feel sad," Chanyeol surprisingly said.