Shield

He's Not You

A heart broken person relates her pain with all things in the environment, as if everything was the environment's mistake.

I failed my long exam on physics. I saw Mark but he did not even glance at me. And then worse, the rain poured hard all of a sudden. And I'm just walking, tired of the things happening today.

I tried to look for an umbrella inside my bag, but I remember bringing it to the repair shop because it was broken.

It felt depressing. Like the weather wouldn't allow me to feel better. I felt my eyes moist, not because it was raining. But my tears were starting to fall. And then I felt myself crying.

If only I had a boyfriend like Mark, I wouldn't have to ride the bus because he owns this luxurious white car and he's a sweet gentleman that would be willing to drive you home. I know that because he already offered to drive me home when he saw me soaked under the rain once.

I was feeling pity for myself. Although I know I shouldn't be.

I finally reached the waiting shed and decided to stay there for a minute to ponder.

Until a familiar voice called my name. I looked in front of me, and a black motorcycle was parked in front of me. The man riding it put his white helmet off. Until I realized it was Chanyeol.

"Aren't you cold?" He ran to the waiting shed with his motorbike and parked it in front of us. He quickly put his brown leather jacket with sheepskin collar off and put it on my shoulders, making me surprised.

He was wearing a dark blue turtleneck long sleeves underneath, a beige straight cut pants and a pair of black leather shoes.

"I was on my way to our practice room when it suddenly rained! Stupid rain! I should've brought my car instead of my Star Bolt! It's my favorite bike!" He said and ruffled his damp brown hair.

"S-Star Bolt?" I asked. Does he name his motorbikes like that?

"Yeah? That's like the brand and model of my motorbike? See?" He pointed the name of the motorbike.

I sniffed. I couldn't say any other word because he might notice that I've been crying.

"Ya, you should've brought an umbrella," He nudged my arm.

I sighed. "I know I'm stupid,"

"What?!" Chanyeol laughed at what I said. "I only reminded you to bring your umbrella, Jinri. I didn't say you're stupid for not bringing an umbrella,"

I looked at him for a moment, until his eyes met mine. He probably noticed that my eyes were swollen from crying. I quickly looked away to hide them, but it was too late.

"Bad day?" Chanyeol asked; the bass of his voice got deeper.

"Yeah. Sort of like that," I replied and put my hands in my pockets.

"Daaamn! Plus the rain? Not a good combination," Chanyeol exclaimed. I don't know if he was trying to lift my mood or he was just mocking me out of boredom.

I only gave a small smile to let him know that I appreciate him trying to sympathize. If he really was trying to.

"You know what, the perfect combination for a rainy day is a comfortable couch and a hot coffee or hot chocolate! Want to come with me?" Chanyeol invited.

I looked at him, still having second thoughts if I should come.

"Come on, it's my treat!" He kept on inviting. "Plus, you're using my jacket right now, you owe me a hang out,"

"I didn't ask for your jacket," I raised an eyebrow.

"But you needed it, don't you?" Chanyeol crossed his arms and raised his eyebrow, as if mimicking what I just did.

I rolled my eyes and chuckled. I held his head with my hand and pushed it away. "Yeah, let's go,"

"Ha-ha! I knew you'd come," Chanyeol said and held my shoulder.

"Uhm... Chanyeol? Are we going to use your motorbike?" I asked.

"Oh..." He scratched his head.


We end up walking with Chanyeol's motorbike, with his helmet on me. He insisted me to use it to protect my head from the rain.

"This is so embarassing, Park Chanyeol!!!" I almost growled in frustration.

"Actually, you look like a female fan of Daft Punk! It's cool! With your jumper shorts and white Doc Martens, it's definitely eye catching!" Chanyeol is probably trying to make me feel good.

But I'm not!

He suddenly gripped my arm and knocked on my helmet. "We're here, stop walking, pabo,"

"Did you just call me pabo?!"

He got the helmet off of my head. "Just kidding," He fixed some strands of my hair that were disheveled from the helmet.

I felt myself flinch when he did that. Gosh, people might think we're dating or something.

 

I was surprised that we're not in a coffee shop yet. It was sort of an... Auto shop?!

"Ya, did you bring me here to fix your bike?!" I said and pushed his arm.

Chanyeol laughed. "You're really pabo aren't you? Why would I do that? Come on, follow me,"

I furrowed my eyebrows as he walked inside the shop. But although I'm not sure why we're here, I still followed him.

Should I be afraid of him? But he's not a stranger anymore, right? And he's my best friend's boyfriend's friend, so I guess this is fine? But still, I don't know him fully yet!

"Jinri?" Chanyeol snapped his fingers in front of me, waking me up from my trail of thoughts. "You seem a little bit preoccupied today, huh?"

"Uhm..." I mumbled; looking for words how to explain.

"Anyways, do you like pink?" He asked, smiling with his left dimple plastered on his cheek.

"Yeah, sort of?"

"But you're an extraordinary girl... I don't think you would like that color..." He mumbled, tapping his chin with his index finger.

"Extraordinary?" I asked, not sure if I heard him right.

"Do you like red or pink? Or white?" He asked again. "I'm going to surprise you because you're my newest friend,"

I chuckled. "What surprise?"

Chanyeol sighed. He held my shoulders and looked directly into my eyes. "Jinri, I don't want to call you pabo, but I think you really are,"

"Ya!" I shoved his hands off of me but I was laughing. "Do you really treat your friends like this?!"

He laughed as well. "No, but at least I'm honest,"

I rolled my eyes. "Black, I like black better,"

"I knew you were different from all other girls. Wait for me here, pabo," Chanyeol said and quickly ran somewhere in the shop.

"Since you called me pabo, I won't!" I crossed my arms and followed him.

"Yeah, whatever," He said and got a black helmet from one of the displays.

Don't tell me he'll buy this helmet for me?!

"Would this look good on me?" Chanyeol asked.

"So you brought me here to be your shopping buddy?" I said and put it on Chanyeol's head. I slid the faceshield open. "Great, you look like Daft Punk's fanboys!" I tried to sound sarcastic to mimic what he said to me earlier.

He laughed and suddenly danced awkwardly as he walked to the counter.

"We've come to far to give up who we are~" He sang and kept dancing. He looked so weird with his helmet on that I could only laugh.

Some customers and salesladies were also laughing, making me feel embarrassed.

"Oh my gosh, I don't know him," I said to one of the sales lady.

He kept dancing on his way outside, with a paperbag on his arm, but still with the new helmet he bought on his head. "Come on Jinri, dance with me! I'm up all night to the sun~"

"Shut uuup," I rolled my eyes and followed him outside the shop.

He stopped dancing and put the helmet inside the paperbag.

He stood awkwardly straight in front of the shop and put his hand at his back, together with the paperbag. He then shoved the paperbag towards me and formally said: "In the name of the master of motorbikes and the best drummer in the world, Park Chanyeol, I proudly present this gift of appreciation to Ms. Kwon Jinri for being my new friend,"

"Oh my gosh, you're really giving me this helmet?!" I asked and almost jumped in excitement.

He smiled, again his left dimple coming out of his cheek.

"You are one weird person! But I'm so thankful for this!" I said and quickly put the helmet on. I slid the faceshield open and raised an eyebrow with a smirk. "Does it look good?"

He put his white helmet on and slid the faceshield open too. "It looks like we're going to need to take a selca!"

With his phone, we took a selca with our helmets on. I noticed people looking at us, but at that moment I don't feel like I should give a damn about them.

"Wow, for the two idiotic Daft Punk fans... Not bad!" Chanyeol said and raised his hand, waiting for a hi-five.

I tapped it and chuckled. "Thank you, Chanyeol,"

"You really should thank me! People might just whack your head for being a pabo," He knocked on my new helmet. "And this helmet will protect you from those people."