Proximity

He's Not You

One of the worst things about being heart broken, is that you look at yourself at the mirror and suddenly realize...

"KWON JINRI, YOU ARE SO STUPID!" I shouted and stomped on the floor. "Why are you crying over a smart introvert?! If he doesn't like you then fine! Stop wasting your time for him alright?!" I reprimanded myself like a crazy girl in front of the mirror.

My mom suddenly came and clapped her hands. "Wow, you're doing better today, dear? What has gotten into you? Have you met someone in the party?"

I stared at her for a moment, as if telling her: don't put any meaning on to what I will say. "Yes, mom, I did,"

She squealed and pulled me towards my bed to sit. "So was he handsome?"

I rolled my eyes. "Mom, it's not what you think. But..."

"But?" She grinned, her eyes sparkling like the Christmas lights I see during Christmas.

"He's handsome," I admitted.

She squealed and jumped on the bed. Oh, the perks of having a young mother. She's just 38-years old and I'm 20. See the ?

Mom is just a single parent. My dad left her when she got pregnant, when she was 17. Total jerk. Well, she chose to be a single parent too. She said my dad was a big mistake so she wouldn't want that to happen anymore. But she still has tons of suitors and I hate that she have more suitors than I have. Well, she's pretty. Really pretty.

"I'm off to school mom," I said and hugged her.

"You're pretty, dear. I swear to God," My mom said and released me.

"Stop it," I laughed and walked out of my room.

I usually walk on my way to the bus stop. It's tiring and sometimes I have to wait for half an hour just to get a bus with available seats. But there are times that I have to stand in the bus.

I sat on the bench at the waiting shed and checked my wristwatch. It was only thirty minutes before my first class begins. Gosh I need a bus right now!!!

Suddenly, someone called my name. I looked in front of me and saw a white motorcycle parked in front of me. The man riding the motorcycle took of his white helmet and waved at me.

"P-Park Chanyeol-sshi?" I pointed a finger at him as I walked towards the bike and he nodded.

He was wearing a black leather jacket and a black shirt underneath, dark straight cut jeans and black on black converse. It somewhat looks good on his white motorbike but... Is he just a rocker or he's somewhat gothic?!

"Why are you alone?" He asked.

"I'm waiting for the bus... I'm on my way to school... Nice bike," I complimented because it really was.

He chuckled and held the seat cowl. "This is actually a sports bike, Ducati 899 Panigale... It's a gift from my parents,"

"Ohh..." Was all I can say. OMG, what else should I say to make it not awkward?! "H-How about you, where are you going?"

"School... Hop on," He said.

"Aren't you going to be late?" I asked.

"No," He shook his head. "Come on, don't be shy,"

I raised an eyebrow. "I'm not,"

I hopped on and sat on his bike next to him.

"Cool," He chortled. "By the way, I'm sorry I don't have another helmet... You better hold on to me tight,"

"Okay, I get it," I said and wrapped my arms around his body. The scent of his perfume lingered on my nose, and I suddenly got intimidated if my perfume's still on my body. "Is this fine?"

"Yup," He replied. "Oh and do you want some music? I'm not sure if you'll like it though,"

"Sure, let me hear it,"

He got the other piece of his earphones and put it on my ear. "Are you ready?"

He put his helmet on and the engine roared.

"Yeah," I replied.

He drove off, and I felt the air brush my skin. It felt wild and refreshing. Suddenly, a very familiar music played.

"OH MY GOSH, THIS IS PANIC! AT THE DISCO'S THIS IS GOSPEL RIGHT?!" I shouted, trying to combat with the wind, his engine and the music that was plugged on our ears.

"Yeah!" He said, his voice was muffled because of his helmet. "My favorite band!"

"ME TOO!" I squealed as we got faster than the lightning. I don't know why, but I am enjoying the rush I felt while riding this motorbike. I love feeling the wind blowing to me with my hair flying freely with it.

We got to my school within fifteen minutes. Well, he drove so fast. But it was cool and awesome and surprisingly fun!

"Thanks Chanyeol. That was totally fun! It was my first time riding a motorcycle! I mean, a sports bike!" I said and he laughed.

"I hope to see you again too. We should talk about our favorite bands! I never knew girls love to listen to Panic! At The Disco and Fall Out Boy too!" Chanyeol's almond eyes grew wide, like he couldn't believe it. "Girls nowadays love those Korean boy bands who dance and do aegyo than those hard rock bands, it's just awesome to meet someone like you,"

"Yeah, let's do that!" I raised a hand up for a high-five and he tapped it.

We both giggled. His eyes wrinkle when he when he laughs, and a left dimple on his cheek comes out.

"Jinri?" A familiar female voice called.

"Oh, hi Hyemin!" Chanyeol waved.

"Hi Chanyeol!" She greeted and waved back. "Hey Jinri,"

She was smiling, but I can already sense what she was telling me. And I feel that it's going to be a long explanation before this girl will stop teasing me.


"And then?" Hyemin asked. Ughhh, I knew it wasn't so good that she saw me with Chanyeol. I knew she would tease me all day long.

"That's it! You came and we both said our goodbyes and that's it, nothing more, nothing less!" I explained for the third time.

"It's weird! He found you at my birthday party, and now he found you again! What if he's the answer to that broken heart of yours?"

Our physics professor suddenly cleared his throat. "I would love to throw a chalk to you Ms. Jang Hyemin, and ask you what is the projectile motion of that chalk because I couldn't keep your mouth shut."

"Sorry, sir," Hyemin smiled innocently and forming a heart over her head using her arms.

"If you keep on doing that, I'll really be throwing a chalk at you," Our professor said while raising his eyeglasses on the bridge of his nose to level his eyes.


A few weeks came. I haven't seen Chanyeol but Hyemin is still teasing me.

And I'm not over with Mark yet. Another fact about being heart broken and a hopeless romantic is when you see him and he waves at you, you think he notices you so you feel like jumping and feeling like all the butterflies in the world roam around in your stomach.

Hyemin whacked my head and woke me up from reality. And that is the awful thing about being a heart broken and a hopeless romantic. You're not the girl she's looking at - it's his girlfriend.

"You're so weird! Stop it! If he couldn't notice you then don't give any attention to him!" Hyemin, once again, nagged.

"Sorry Hyemin," I said and walked as if all the butterflies in my stomach died.

Then, you realize again that you're so stupid that you can't let go.