Chapter 7

Flames of a Phoenix
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

[CONTENTID1]CHAPTER SEVEN[/CONTENTID1]

 

[CONTENTID2]

When Eunji had finally gotten to her room, it was ten o'clock. Eunji leaned against her door, the bed temptingly calling out to her. Instead, Eunji walked to the bathroom and the water to fill up the ivory bathtub.
              

The water heater taking too long for her taste, Eunji closed her eyes. "Firæs doltramos."
The water bubbled and Eunji rifled through her bag behind her until she found the elegant bottle carved from black onyx. She carefully pulled out the crystal stopper and tapped the bottle with her fingertip. Three taps, three drops. Eunji pulled off her clothes, wincing whenever the fabric touched a sore spot on her body. Eunji gingerly untied the bandage and peeled it off. She looked at the back of her shoulder in the mirror. The gashes were red and swollen, and hot to the touch. Eunji pressed her lips in a thin line. Her scratches bore the tell-tale mark of phoenix work.
              

 

"There's no hiding that from anyone," Eunji said to herself. She climbed into the bathtub and gratefully sank into the pale gold bubbles. Eunji leaned back and put her head against the carved wings on the back of the tub. She sat in the water until it lost all heat. With a sigh, Eunji carefully got out of the slippery bathtub and grabbed a fresh pressed linen towel. She dried off and looked at her scratches again. The skin around them wasn't as red, thanks to the healing magic in the bubble bath. Eunji continued drying off and then walked into her room. She grabbed a one shoulder black top and a pair of matching shorts. Eunji put those on and brushed out her hair. After she was done, she walked to her bed. Eunji knew her Mythicara would come around to all the rooms and wake her and all the other girls on this floor tomorrow. Eunji slid in between the soft cotton sheets and turned out the light. A fire magically sprang up in the fireplace of its own accord. In the dim firelight, Eunji fell asleep as soon as her head hit the pillow.

*********

The knock on the door the next morning came too soon. Eunji groaned and got up, walking to the door. Instead of Jessica, Kai was standing there, holding a tray with gauze, bandages, herbs, and a pestle.
              

He held the tray forwards. "Nurse's orders."
              

 

Eunji stepped back and let him in. "You're going to have to do it. I can't dress it myself."
               

Kai nodded and set the tray on her bed. "Sit."
              

Eunji sat on the edge of the bed and pulled her hair over her right shoulder. She pulled the left side of her top down a bit more, exposing the full wound.
              

Kai inhaled sharply. "All that's from Rain?"
              

Eunji nodded. "That and almost every bruise all over."
              

Kai gently pushed Eunji's top to the right. His fingertips gently ran over the bruises. "Ji, I know this is going to be awkward, but…"
              

 

"Can I put on something that covers less? Only as long as you keep your mind and fingers in check."
              

Kai gritted his teeth. "Right now I'm too mad at Rain to think of anything else."
              

Eunji walked into the bathroom. "Then maybe you should just worry about the scratches."
              

Kai shook his head. "I want to help as much of it as I can."
              

Eunji walked back out of the bathroom in a black robe with a winding flame that started on the bottom left and worked its way up across to her right sleeve. She sat back on the bed and pulled the top down, exposing her upper back. Kai sharply inhaled again.
              

 

"Kai, please don't do anything rash. This is nothing compared to what usu

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter