seven

Remember Us

For the following days, Tao had been glued to Kris. The younger was still not interacting a lot and spend most of his time sleeping, but every time he does wake up, he would ask for Kris.

And every time, Kris was ready, sitting next to Tao’s bed, helping him with his water, food, and medicine. Sometimes just to be silent and stared at, because Tao did not know how the elder looked like now. The younger would stare at what to him was a blob of shadow with no distinctive feature at all; just mix of colors, and gassy. Like thick rainbow-ish fog. His eyes would travel along the edges of Kris’ blurry shadow, guessing and wondering how the person in front of him actually looked like.

“Can I touch your hair?” Tao asked that afternoon after eating a part of his lunch. This time had been staring at the shadow in front of him that was Kris for the past two minutes.

Kris chuckled before lowering his head so that Tao wouldn’t have to raise his hand too far. He brought Tao’s right hand to the top of his head and guided his fingers to his hair, “I would have wash my hair if I know you’d ask this,”

Tao didn’t respond to Kris’ words, but concentrating at the matter he was touching.

“Soft,” Tao whispered, looking a little surprised.

“Thank you,” Kris said softly, enjoying the feeling of Tao’s fingers running through his hair. Not to be selfish, but he loved that feeling so much he often laid his head on Tao’s lap and let him do the same gesture whenever he felt like being eaten by work. Not being able to experience it for a while gets to him. Slowly, he closed his eyes and hummed, pretending as if they were at their house, not in the hospital.

“You… You’re like a cat,” Tao commented at the sound the elder made, and Kris’ eyes shot open again.

“What?” he asked, baffled.

Tao giggled softly, stopping to sigh when he felt a sudden pain on his chest. The pain immediately disappear just like it came, and so he continued to smile widely, “You. Cat,”

“Me, cat?”

“Are you a cat person?”

Kris was flustered at the question, because he was immediately reminded of Tao himself. Tao’s feline like eyes and childish behavior, his habit of snuggling on Kris’ side when they’re going to bed, and even the way he his lips. Tao reminded him of a kitten. A very cute one. Kris chuckled again, “Maybe,”

“Do you have a cat?”

“Sort of,” Kris answered, grinning.

Their conversation had to be put on hold as there was a knock on the door, and Lay appeared.

“Good afternoon, everyone!”

Sehun, who had been sulking on the couch because Tao had been ignoring him and kept on talking to Kris instead, looked up to the newcomer, “Oh good afternoon!”

Chanyeol, who was sitting next to Sehun looked up too, “Hey, Lay. What’s up?”

“I got results~” Lay responded, waving the charts in his hand, smiling goofily, “Hey, how are you feeling, Zitao?”

Tao shrugged a little, “I’ve been better,” he mumbled.

“Ah, I see. But you’ll be better soon! Oh hey Kris,”

Kris nodded, smiling, “So what do you have?”

“Well, lets see…” Lay mumbled as he finally opened Tao’s chart and read it, “Oh! Now that’s what I was talking about!” he exclaimed cheerfully at the results, “I am booking you an OR for tomorrow!”

Tao looked up in shock, blinking to find Lay’s shadow. His head hurt a little from the movement, but it didn’t stop him from being curious.

“What?” he asked, thinking that maybe he had heard that wrong.

“Dr. Park told you that you’ll have another surgery for your leg, remember? You finally improved enough for one,”

Tao frowned, turning his gaze to his blanket, “I don’t want another surgery…”

“You need one,” Lay smiled, “See, your leg was crushed, and now it has metal plates and screws inside and around it. That’s why it’s not very comfortable. This surgery will get them off and finish the work on your leg,”

Tao blinked and turned his head away.

“What’s the matter, xiao ai?” Kris asked softly, but Tao didn’t respond. He was still looking at the other side in worry.

Well that’s a first. Tao had been interacting so well with Kris lately.

Meanwhile, it was like Chanyeol had a flashback. He had seen his brother like this since he was little. Young Zitao had always had problem saying his feeling and expressing anything, especially things he wasn’t comfortable with and nervous about. When he was little, Zitao was scared about a lot of things: new people, the thunder, playing in the rain, the mud, the dark, speeding motorcycles, and climbing the tree house among many other things. It was familiar, and for once after a while he felt like he could reach out to Tao, like he always did before the younger went to Vienna.

So Chanyeol rose from his seat and walked closer to take Tao’s hand, “It’ll be okay, Zi,” he said from the other side of the bed, smiling softly even though his brother could not see it.

Tao reacted at the sound of Chanyeol’s voice. His brother’s sounded was different this time; it’s deep and calming, and without realizing, Tao held Chanyeol’s hand back, “I’m scared,” he mumbled, his voice small and sounded so sad.

“I know,” Chanyeol smiled in relief, familiarity flushing through him, “But it’ll be okay… Right, Lay?”

“We give our best in every surgeries,” the intern surgeon smiled, “I’ll do the extra best for you,” he added, tapping Tao’s healthy shoulder softly.

“… But… But what if something happened? What if it hurts?” Tao asked, looking so worried and unconvinced. If it weren’t for all the casts and bandages, Chanyeol would engulf him in a very tight hug until the younger feels better.

“We would give you medicine so you won’t feel a thing, and I will be there to make sure nothing bad happen. Like I said, I’ll do my extra best,” Lay promised, “So you have to do your extra best too, okay?”

Tao hummed softly, and Sehun knew that his best friend still has his doubts. He came over and held Tao’s other hand, “Just remember to breathe, like our exercise. You’ll be fine, Lay hyung will be right there with you inside, and we’ll be right on the other side of the door waiting for you. You’ll be okay,”

Tao pursed his lips, thinking for a minute before finally agreeing, “Okay…” he said softly through his pout.

Chanyeol chuckled and kissed Tao’s hair, “Okay then,”

Lay smiled happily, raising both his thumbs for everyone inside the room while mouthing, “Good job, guys!”

The young doctor then disappeared into the hallway, most likely to contact his mentor and book the O.R.

Sehun stayed and tried to talk to Tao for a while, but he wasn’t responding very well. The scared look on his face was still apparent no matter what Sehun, Chanyeol or Kris tried to say. Kris was about to say some joke about chameleons and what will happen if it walks on graffiti painted tree when his phone rang.

“Hello?” he answered after moving a little away from Tao.

Can we now please please see him? Its been too long! Kris heard Victoria’s whiny voice from the other end of the line.

“Uh… I am not really sure whether this is a good time…”

Too late! Were here!

“Huh? Here where, jie?”

Right outside, with Mom and Dad. Mom had been so worried,

Kris bit his lip, weighing his options, “Let me ask him first,”

Okay! Tell him its someone he really really love!

Kris chuckled before ending the phone call. He then turned to his sulking fiancé, “Xiao ai, would you like to meet my family? Do you remember them?” he asked gently, wanting to give Tao something else to think about.

This time, Tao reacted, “Your family?” he repeated.

“Yes, do you remember them? My Dad likes to give you toys from places he visited on his business trips. My Mom bakes a lot, and then there’s my sister,”

“QianQian… Qian jie,” Tao whispered, his eyes widened in amusement.

Chanyeol and Kris laughed, “Yes, that’s her,” the elf said.

“They have been waiting outside, they want to meet you. Shall I let them in?” Kris asked again.

Tao blinked repeatedly, suddenly looked nervous.

“Sehun…” he called.

“I’m here,” Sehun stood and held Tao’s hand again, letting the younger know he’s listening.

“My eyes…”

“Do they hurt?” Sehun asked worriedly, tilting his head to see Tao’s orbs.

Tao shook his head softly, “Do they look scary?”

Sehun smiled, “No, not to me…”

“…How do they look like?”

“Like salmon eyes,”

“Sehunnaaaa~” Tao whined.

Sehun laughed, liking that Tao is talking to him again, “Its eyes, like any other,”

“They don’t look scary? I wouldn’t creep people out? Will QianQian be afraid?”

“Well, they do look different, but it’s not like in movies where your eyes are all white you know. They’re still your eyes,” Sehun said fondly.

“I think they’re beautiful as always,” Kris said with a small smile, finding it very cute that in his state Tao still worried about his appearance and scaring his sister, which was impossible. Song Qian is not scared of anything except ‘Sold Out’ sign.

Sehun rolled his eyes at Kris’ cheesy reply. And again, when Tao’s cheeks actually blushed.

“Okay,” the younger agreed softly, biting his lips in anticipation.

“Okay,” Kris repeated, and he let Chanyeol stepped out for a moment to call Kris’ family. Kris’ mother was the first one to walk in, a container of cookies in her hand.

“Zitao!” she exclaimed and Tao blinked in surprise. It was about three seconds until he was engulfed in a soft and warm hug.

Tao’s eyes widened, while he himself was stunned. He was unable to form words, most likely because this embrace was so familiar, like his own mother’s.

“Mom?” he whispered hopefully, before biting his lips wishing it hadn’t slipped. But it didn’t go unnoticed by Mrs. Wu. The lady pulled back a little, before softly caressing his head.

“I’m sorry, dear… I know you miss her… And I believe she was the one to kick you back here and wake you up. She did a good job returning you… She always take a good care of you,” she said, smiling softly, “When you’re healthier, make sure you visit her and pray for her, okay?”

Tao blinked repeatedly, trying to pry the threatening tears away, “I- I will,” he promised.

“Oh no don’t cry,” Mrs. Wu cooed, but Tao really cried instead. A part of him had been wishing that actually someone still lied, and his parents are still here. But they weren’t. And having his hope crashed and burn, hurts.

Chanyeol stepped closer, wanting to comfort his brother somehow, but Kris’ mother waved him off. The lady hugged Tao tighter, repeating soft words in hushed tones until Tao finally calmed down.

When Tao finally lied still with moistened eyes, he nodded, “I am sorry,” he whispered.

“Don’t be, son…  Lets focus on being healthy first, okay? One at a time, Zitao,” she said, patting Tao’s eyes with her handkerchief, “Well, look at you. Oh baby you looked so pale,” Mrs. Wu gasped, “Have you eat?”

“He’s going on a surgery tomorrow, so I don’t think he’s allowed to eat anymore,” Kris said immediately, “But I‘ll make sure he eats after the surgery,” he smiled, moving to the other side of Tao’s bed, “Meanwhile, jie, Tao was looking for you,”

“He did?” there was another voice perking up, the one that’s not less excited than Kris’ mother when she first exclaimed.

Tao’s eyes widened again, eyebrows connected, trying to figure out who that was.

The second time the voice sounded, it was closer, “You were?”

Tao blinked as the new shadow appeared in his vision, “QianQian?” he asked softly.

“Yes! It’s me! Did you remember me?” Victoria asked excitedly.

“About you braiding my hair,” Tao answered sheepishly. Kris had told everyone beforehand that Tao had not been able to remember a lot of things, and so Victoria was not surprised that Tao only mentioned their childhood memory.

“Oh yes, I remember that too,” she grinned, “Want me to do it again?”

“Do I have hair?” Tao asked, a little hopeful. He knew he had bandage around his head right now.

“Sorry, Zi. Lay said they had to shave your head because of your injury,” Chanyeol answered with light tone, wanting to cheer Tao up a little.

Tao pouted, “My hair was so nice,” he huffed, and the room laughed.

“Oh, it’ll grow back, and we’ll go to the salon and style it up!” Victoria said cheerfully, “Don’t you worry!”

The slight worry Kris had before his family came and visit gone in seconds when his sister sat next to his fiancé and chat like no major accident had happened two weeks ago. Tao was interacting well with them, and although he hasn’t act quite like himself yet, the elder could tell that he had started to adjust with the new situation. Everyone was talking and telling Tao a lot of stories, while the younger listened in amusement. Around two hours later, Lay returned and reminded everyone that Tao needed to have his medicine and rest for the upcoming surgery. The boy looked nervous again at the reminder, and again, Kris noticed.

When Lay excused himself, Kris’ family decided to leave the room too so Tao could rest. Chanyeol and Sehun came outside with them so they could walk with them to the front of the hospital. Tao didn’t react much at their goodbyes, but rather, looked preoccupied with his own mind.

“Xiao ai?” Kris called when there were only the two of them left in the room, “Are you okay? Does anything hurt?”

Tao shook his head slowly, “Surgery,” he whispered.

“Ah I see. Are you still scared?” the elder asked.

Tao pursed his lips, “I think… I am nervous,” he replied, his voice barely above whisper, “Tell me something,”

“What do you want to know?” Kris asked, moving his chair closer to Tao’s bed again and took the younger’s hand.

“Hmm… Do I smell?”

Kris chuckled at that, “No,” he said between his laugh, “Why?”

“I just remembered I haven’t showered since I woke up,” Tao pouted, “Do I really not smelly?”

“You smelled like cookie now,”

Tao giggled softly, “You called me something else,”

“Zi?”

“No, its… It wasn’t my name,”

“Ah. Xiao ai,”

“Yes… What… Does that mean?”

“Little love,” Kris said through his smile, “It means little love,”

“Little love…” Tao repeated, “Why?”

“Well, it could mean a lot of things. Everything, but small amount of love. It means… You’re my love. You’re smaller than me, height wise, maturity wise,” Tao pouted again at the last word and Kris laughed, “age wise… You know, after a while, to see you looking so different astonished me. In the back of my head you were still the younger boy who bites his fingers a lot, the one I really want to protect. You’re my little, even though not so little now, treasure. And I love you. Hence, little love,”

Tao was in awe, “Gege…”

“Yes, xiao ai?”

“You love… me?”

Kris nodded, before humming to confirm Tao’s remark, forgetting that the younger couldn’t really see his gesture, “Yes,”

“Can you… Can you tell me what happened to… Us?” Tao asked, a little hesitating, “Is… is it okay if you tell me?”

“Of course,” the elder said as he held Tao’s hand with both of his, “It always is. What do you want to know?”

“Everything,” Tao huffed, “From the beginning,”

“Hmm… The beginning then, is when you just moved to the neighborhood, Chanyeol and I were ten and you were what? Six? I think you were still six years old and I went to your house and you peeked from behind the wall-“

“No,” Tao giggled softly, “Not that far. I remember that one,”

Kris laughed, “Which one do you want to know then?”

“I meant, about us getting together,”

“I see… Hmm… Then its when you returned to Korea for your concert. You got an invitation to play with Seoul Philharmonic Orchestra, and so you flew back. I think around a week before your performance, Chanyeol wanted to introduce you to Baekhyun, your future brother in law. He reserved a table at Ritz Carlton and so by extension, I came too. I saw you, and its like… Bam. Magic,”

“Really?” Tao asked, looking like it takes a lot of him to believe Kris’ story, “And what did I do?”

“Well that night, you were so cute. You were gorgeous, different than the little boy I remembered. You were playing it cool, but I kept staring at you so I know you stole glances at me,” Kris smiled fondly at the memory, “That was the first time I heard you play piano too, right in front of me. You were… Mesmerizing. Completely stunning. And you laughed at my face when you finished, I think I looked like a fish that night, just wide eyes, mouth gaping, very unattractive,”

Tao chuckled, and so Kris continued.

“That night I offered to take you home because you were not familiar with Seoul yet, while Chanyeol took Baekhyun home. When I walked you to your front door I asked you to honor me with a date, and it was dim, but you blushed, very cutely,” Kris smiled and eyed Tao, “Just like now,”

The younger groaned in embarrassment, attempting to pull his blanket to cover his face, but Kris pulled it back down anyway, “I high-fived myself mentally when you said yes hahaha,"

“You did?”

“Yeah. Haha embarrassing to admit, but I did… But the day we really got together officially was on our fourth date. On our ride back home, I told you how I felt on our first meeting and you told me that it was the same way for you too. You said back then it like there was a spark. Or was it a firework- going on in your head, like an alarm, telling you that its me that you have been waiting for. And it’s like that for me too. I have been waiting for you,”

Tao gaped, “I’m hopelessly romantic,”

Kris chuckled again, “Do you remember any of that?”

The younger bit his lip, “Sorry…”

“It’s okay,” Kris replied, holding in a sigh. He knew that Tao would not remember, yet he secretly kept his fingers crossed, wishing that the other would at least remember a part of their memories together. Being the only one who remembers had been really so far.

“Ge… Did you ever visit me before? In Austria?”

“No,” Kris answered regretfully, “And I always feel like I was so stupid for not doing so. Chanyeol had always visited you during the summer breaks and its either I have to cover for him in the student council or Victoria jie came and dragged me across the States to travel, or I had basketball boot camp, or-“

“You don’t have time,” Tao finished for Kris, cutting him mid sentence. He released his hold of Kris’ hands, even though the elder didn’t let go.

“-And it had always been the biggest regret I had in my life,”

“Hmm,” Tao hummed, and Kris was about to say something else when Tao’s door opened again, this time to reveal Chanyeol.

“Hey, your turn,” the elf said as he walked in, and sat on the other side of Tao’s bed, “Baekhyun just came, he brought fresh clothes so you can change. He’s with Sehun downstairs,”

“I’ll do it later,” Kris growled stubbornly, holding Tao’s hand tightly, still wanting to say something.

“Yah, I need time with my brother too, you know. Just go. Baek might be tiny but he could pull you off that chair by your ears and make you change. It happened to me and now to Sehun too,”

Tao looked amused at the information, but looked a little dejected when he said, “Just go. I won’t be able to go anywhere anyway,”

Kris sighed and reluctantly stood up, not forgetting to press a kiss into Tao’s hair, “I’ll be back,” he promised, before walking out of the room with heavy steps.

Chanyeol was following his best friend’s figure until the door closed. When he turned, Tao was blushing madly.

“Tao? Are you okay?”

Tao blinked repeatedly in disbelief.

“Do you feel feverish? What is it?”

“Hyung… Was that really Yifan gege?” Tao whispered.

“Yes,” Chanyeol said in wonder, “Did he do something funny to you when I was outside?”

“Did he… Did he really just kiss me?”

Chanyeol laughed loudly in relief this time, “Yes,”

“Whoa…”

“Do you not want him to? I mean, I could tell him,”

“No, no I don’t… I don’t mind… I think,” Tao answered, looking a little embarrassed.

“Good then,” Chanyeol smiled, “Now why don’t you try to get some sleep?”

“Maybe I should…”

But Tao didn’t fall asleep right away. He was lying still on his bed, staring at Chanyeol, looking like he was wondering about something. Chanyeol had observed him for five minutes or so and was about to tell him to sleep again before the younger called him.

“Hyung?”

“Yes?”

“…You sounded so different than the last time I remembered you,”

“I am?” Chanyeol took a deep breath, “When was the last time you remembered me?”

“When you sent me away,” Tao said, and his expression turned sour, “Dad told me that it was you that told him about Vienna. I remembered you skyped me after so many years, after missing so many concerts, saying you missed me. But you were the one that sent me away…”

“It wasn’t like that—“

“Wait…”

Tao bit his lip, looking doubtful. He stared at Chanyeol for a while. His head and heart was such a mess now. He was okay, then he was worried, happy for a moment, and now just… Messy.

He didn’t like this feeling of not sure of anything, of not even knowing what to feel.

“Are you really my brother? You’re my Channie?”

“I am, Zi… I really am… Are you still doubtful?” Chanyeol asked, feeling at loss again.

Tao took his time to respond by a small shake of his head.

“What’s the matter then?”

Tao didn’t reply.

“What was it that you have been thinking?”

Tao didn’t respond but reached out his hands. Chanyeol instinctively came closer, “What is it?”

Tao frowned again as his hands touched Chanyeol’s face. It was hard to recognize a person just by touching his face. He didn’t remember how Chanyeol’s face felt like….

Why does Chanyeol felt like stranger no matter what he said? Tao didn’t remember Kris too, but why did he trust Kris easily while he struggled with Chanyeol?

“That’s my forehead. Do you remember my wide forehead?” Chanyeol asked hopefully when Tao patted his forehead.

Tao didn’t remember how wide Chanyeol’s forehead was. He only remembered adult Chanyeol who greeted him through skype video calls. He didn’t remember about his brother coming to Austria, and let alone that they were close again.

They were separated when they were so young. Tao was struggling at normal academic school in Seoul, while Chanyeol excel everything, together with his childhood best friend, Kris. After a while, Tao was then transferred to a music conservatory in Vienna with major in classic piano, living with their grandfather who was a conductor and professor there. Their brotherhood was then limited and depended to electronic communication, even when Chanyeol was doing graduate and postgraduate programs in United States. They never met again, until now, as far as Tao could remember.

Through those brief video calls, mostly because it felt awkward to Tao if he talks too long with his distant brother, Chanyeol’s forehead looks wider than the one he was touching. And he didn’t know how it felt like.

His hands travelled all across Chanyeol’s face, but he still couldn’t be sure that it really was his brother. It was the same amount of eyes, nose, and lips anyone could have. It was years since he met Chanyeol face to face. Years since he was heartbroken for the first time in his life.

Chanyeol, feeling both hopeful and scared, shifted his seating and brought Tao’s fingers into his hair, “Remember my hair? You liked to play with my hair when we were young,”

Tao remembered that. But his hyung’s hair felt different back then. It was softer. He continued and felt the shape of Chanyeol’s head. Well, anyone’s head is like this. Round and hairy.

But then Tao’s hands traveled a little south and touched Chanyeol’s ears.

He gasped.

Now this could not be wrong. He knew these ears. He knew them well. From all people he had known, only his brother had these ears.

Tao’s reaction made Chanyeol smiled. He knew Tao knew. Finally.

Tao’s lips trembled when he whispered, “Hyung…”

“Yes, Zi… It’s Chan hyung…”

Tao smiled, “Channie…” he said.

“Yes,” Chanyeol chuckled, relieved, “It’s hyung… You remember me?”

Tao smiled wider, nodding. He did remember. He remembered playing with his hyung, watching a movie with him, him making nutella sandwich for both of them, building snowman, playing with his plushies; one by one the memories of their childhood flush through him, and he was happy.

But the memory stopped being so happy on that day, when Chanyeol pushed him and told him to go with their grandfather, to Vienna.

“Hyung,” Tao’s smile disappeared and he choked in his own tears, “Why did you sent me away… Did you hate me? Did I do something wrong?”

It was liked a metal claw squeezed Chanyeol’s heart mercilessly right then right there. It was exactly what Tao said when the younger confronted him in front of Wien Hauptbahnhof after they exited Vienna’s central train station. The day they reconciled.

“Zi… Zi, never. I never hated you. I would never hate you, ever. And please listen to me, I did not want to sent you away… I swear,” Chanyeol struggled to say, as he was in the verge of tears himself. He felt like he had disappointed Tao all over again.

“But why… Why did you?” the younger asked, his fingers trembling.

Chanyeol moved and sat on Tao’s bed, next to him, holding both his delicate hands, “I wanted you to have the best in your life, Tao… I knew you were struggling; I was there when you told Mom about you being bullied at school. I was behind you, you just didn’t see me. You were so little, and I want nothing but make you smile again. I was confused and the only person I could think of was our grandfather. He was the only person I know back then who play good music, who hold the same interest as you, and the only person I trust to help you… I never wanted to stay back, but Mom and Dad insists that I have to keep on going to school… And I… It was hard for me too, to see you go…”

Tao was sobbing, struggling to even out his breath, but he didn’t say anything and so Chanyeol continued.

“That day, do you remember that day when you left? You held me; you wanted me to come with. But the night before I already asked Mom and Dad, and they asked me to stay in Seoul. I didn’t hug you back when you left, and told you to go and be brave, because if I do, I won’t be able to let you go,” Chanyeol choked, “I didn’t want you to go, I was scared too. I was worried you’re not going to be happy, but Dad assured me that it was for the best for you…”

“I was so young and I didn’t… If I were allowed to go on a plane and just leave on my own, I would have done so, I swear… I ran behind Dad’s car when they were taking you to the airport with grandfather until he sped up too fast and I couldn’t catch up… I didn’t know that telling Dad would mean you gone,”

“I’m sorry, Zi…”

Tao sobbed and pulled Chanyeol’s shirt again, “Why are you so stupid, you’re so stupid. Why did you make me miss you all these years? Why didn’t you visit me?”

“I was busy with keeping up with everything. You, leaving for your music and dream, would mean that I would have to take up Dad’s position in the company someday. And I don’t mind that. It was what I have been wanting, but I thought you’d be with me there. After you left, it all changed. Mom and Dad let me do anything I wanted, but already guided me towards being Dad’s successor. I was overwhelmed. I wanted to be the best for the position. I did it for you too; I didn’t want you to have to quit your dreams. I didn’t visit you not because I didn’t want to, it was because I love you,”

“I promise, I never did it because I don’t care… I never stop wishing I had done it differently,” Chanyeol gritted his teeth, letting the tears ran freely, “I promise, please trust me,”

“Hyung… Channie hyung…” Tao pulled Chanyeol again and this time the elf hugged his brother tightly.

“I’m sorry,” Chanyeol muffled into Tao’s pillow.

They both cried for another minute and Tao whispered back, “I’m sorry too,”

Chanyeol pulled back, wiping the tears on Tao’s face, “You really have to rest now. I’m only draining your energy. You need it for your surgery,”

Tao shook his head slowly, “I want to talk, about everything,”

“We have all the time you need, Zi. But rest is first,”

“You won’t make me leave again, will you?”

Chanyeol hurriedly responded, “Of course not. I would never let you go again. Even when you have to go, I’ll go with you. This time I will do it right, I don’t want to regret anymore,”

Tao held Chanyeol’s hand tightly, “I won’t go either. I want to be here, and catch up with everything. I want to be your brother again, I want to be like other brothers out there,”

“You know I’d give anything you want, Zi,” Chanyeol smiled, pressing a kiss on Tao’s forehead, “I’m sorry you have to experience all that. Must be a horror,”

“Well, it wasn’t exactly a picnic. You remember that I went there in a blink of an eye, right? I didn’t know a word in German and Austrians don’t really speak Korean either. I felt like I was in another planet,” Tao pouted, and his reddish swollen eyes made him look very pitiful Chanyeol just want to squeeze him, “But... But I’m here now, I have you, right?”

“Always,” Chanyeol replied, smiling softly, “Now you really have to sleep, Zi,”

And just like with Kris, Tao curled his fingers into Chanyeol’s shirt tightly before he closed his eyes, as if to make sure Chanyeol would stay.

 

 

 

Half an hour later, Kris, Sehun and Baekhyun returned to Tao’s room. Tao was fast asleep, and Chanyeol was still there, sitting on the younger’s bed, next to him. Baekhyun came closer and saw Tao’s tear stained face, and Chanyeol’s still swollen eyes.

“What happened?” he whispered, softly caressing Chanyeol’s cheek.

Chanyeol smiled proudly, “My brother loves me is what happened,” he grinned.

Baekhyun smiled back, feeling relieved and grateful, “You must be happy,”

“Very,” Chanyeol glanced at his brother again, who was sleeping peacefully. The elf was holding Tao’s hand just as tight.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

_____________________________________________________________________________________________

Eii guys! How have you been doing? I am now being attacked by flu. Damn weather changes!

I have been so busy with exams and assignments and that was why I have not been able to update this story. I knew it has been really long and so I was like, NOT EVEN FLU CAN STOP ME FROM WRITING AND UPDATING. even though I am now dizzy as hell these words looked jumbled to me. But yeay another update! 

Ooh, say hi to me on twitter @huangjangeun! I'd love to talk to you guys and we could even fangirl Tao together! kekekeke ^^

As always, comments are loved~

 

 

 

 

x