eleven

Remember Us

Someone taller was standing in front of him. Zitao couldnt see his face, but he was a man, facing him.

 

Hello? Tao called, Who are you?

The taller looked troubled, not answering.

Tao tilted his head. The man was watching him, said nothing.

 Have I known you somewhere? he asked again.

The figure smiled. Its weird, Tao knew he was smiling, but still, he couldnt figure out who he was.

“…I do?

The taller figure held out one hand, palm up, as if asking for Taos hand, for him to come with.

Tao was confused. He eyed the hand and the mans face back and forth. The man was smiling ever so softly. He looked harmless. Rather, like he had been waiting for so long and now Tao was here. As if he was relieved.

 Tao watched him for a moment before deciding to reach his hand out, wanting to hold the hand waiting for his.

But the hand moved backwards, and Tao looked up, to see the other looked so sad all of a sudden, tears were running down his cheeks while something else was pulling him backwards. He looked broken as he inched away.

No.

Its Tao who was moving backwards. And he was pulled faster by the second.

Tao turned to see darkness, pulling him, dragging him.

No! Help! he screamed, turning back to the tall figure, and he was there, reaching his hand towards him but Tao was too far already.

Wait for me!

 

 

 

 

Tao blinked his eyes open along with a sharp breath intake. White came in to his vision and he realized he was back in the hospital.

What was that dream all about. So bizarre.

He took a minute to try and breathe properly over the mask that was covering his nose and mouth. Breathe, breathe. One, two, three.

Meanwhile, his eyes traveled around and recognized four blurry figures around his bed. Of which, two were leaning against each other. Tao decided they were his brother and Baekhyun. He turned again and recognized two other. The one with brown hair must be Sehun. So the one with black hair must be… Yifan ge?

Kris was leaning against his bed, both his hands holding Tao’s.

His hands were warm…’ Tao thinks, his eyes travelling around Kris’ shadow; observing his appearance, his outfit preference, and his hair.

He wanted to know and remember, how this stranger next to his bed is his fiancé. He wanted to know him again, about falling in love with him, about them together. He tried again, but nothing came from the back of his head. He had nothing, not a single memory of any of that happening. He felt cheated and betrayed by his own brain. It felt like something out of a novel, maybe Nicholas Spark’s, that he wake up to his childhood neighbor and friend saying that they were engaged. Sehun asked him about it, and even though he didn’t actually remember and being confused himself, he knew that at least Chanyeol would not lie to him especially about something like this.

And so this tall black haired person is his fiancé.

Still surreal. Tao didn’t even know how he looked like.

Well, Yifan was a cheeky boy who liked Tao’s creation of peanut butter omelet.

But that’s about it, right?

Who is this adult Yifan and how is it that Sehun had never heard of him before? Was he really such an of a friend, not telling his best buddy about him meeting Yifan again and getting engaged?

Tao sighed.

All this thinking hurts his head.

Tao turned and glanced at his bandaged hand, forced to meet his other nightmare.

How was he supposed to play piano now?

He had been taking a good care of his hands. He could be clumsy at times, but Sehun was his savior for paying attention to things as small as paper cuts. He heard one time that any limbs would never be the same anymore once the bone broke.

Tao’s heart drops at the thought.

He wanted nothing but to play piano, to compose, to be surrounded by music. Music was the best thing that had happened to him. Music saved him. Music defines him. It is what he is. It’s everything that he had done, that he wanted.

It was not the least of his concern, but a mere speckle of his worries. What will happen next? Is it possible for him to fully heal? Will that suffocating feeling return? The therapy that Lay once mentioned, would it take forever? Will he ever feel better?

Would he be forced get married to a stranger?

“You’re awake?” a voice resounded and Tao turned slowly, finding Kris watching him with a blurry smile on his face.

Tao blinked. His worries vanished all of a sudden as Kris smiled wider, “How are you feeling?”

Tao blinked again as he observe Kris’ blurry figure, giving him a small shrug. It’s a question he didn’t know how to answer, really.

“Would you like to have something to eat?” Kris asked again. He didn’t like the pale on Tao’s face.

Tao really had to think hard. He honestly does not want anything, “Juice?” he said hoarsely.

Kris smiled again, “I’ll ask the nurse to get some for you,”

“Stay,” another voice from the other side of the room came into their ears, “I’ll ask for one,”

Baekhyun was awake too, rubbing Chanyeol’s cheek, effectively woke the elf up, as he stood and left the room.

“Hey,” Chanyeol mumbled, rubbing his eye, “Ssup?”

Kris chuckled, “You need to go home,” he said to his best friend, “Take a break. Baekhyun looked like he needed it too. He’s still working too,”

Chanyeol didn’t answer, and so Tao asked, “You guys, don’t work?” If their parents had really passed away, then it’s rather questionable that Chanyeol is here everyday.

“We’re taking a break, of some sort. We want to be able to be here with you as much as we can,”

“You’re not tired?” Tao asked again.

“No,” Kris lied. Sleeping on a chair for more than three weeks was not exactly his preference. But if it means he’d be companying Tao, he wouldn’t mind.

“Liar,” Tao mumbled, earning a defeated sigh from Kris. Tao still could tell.

“It’s Saturday by the way,” Sehun suddenly said as he awakened, taking away everyone’s attention, “You know what it means,” he said, clearing his throat as he stood and straighten his polo.

A soft chuckle left Tao’s mouth, “Really?”

“Yes, told you I’ll do it until you say yes,”

“Do what?” Chanyeol asked curiously.

Sehun walked and sat next to Tao, on his bed, staring at the patient with seriousness, “Park Zitao, would you do me, Oh Sehun, the honor to date you? I love you, I have loved you since I met you, and I promise to make you happy, with me,”

“Hey!” Kris breathed. What the is happening, why would this brat confess to his fiancé?

“You did not exist when we started this, and he had never tell me about you nor that you two were engaged. Until I hear that from himself, I would keep on doing this,” Sehun said when he briefly turn to Kris.

The disbelief on Kris’ face was thick, but somehow it made Sehun felt a little satisfied, “So, what do you say?” he asked, turning back to Tao.

Tao was blinking, looking like he was actually weighing his options, “Hmm,”

Kris’ eyes widen. A part of him was actually alarmed and scared that Tao would say yes. Even though he trust Tao with his entire being and that the feeling they hold for each other were mutual and strong, the younger had lost his memory and so he had no idea how much he could depend on that.

Oh God, if you were really there, dont let this happen.

But then Tao grinned, looking ever so amused despite still being tired and pretty much weak, “Try your luck next time,” he managed to say.

Kris raised both his eyebrows. Why does it felt like Tao didn’t take this seriously? Even he knows that Sehun really has feelings for Tao and he just knew the boy. It’s impossible for Tao to be oblivious to that, and so why can’t he properly reject Sehun?

“Because I won’t give up whatever he says,” Sehun mumbled, as if he read Kris’ mind.

Whoa. That’s even more surprising. Or stupid.

Across from him, Chanyeol had the same expression on his face, “What? Wait, hold on. How many times have you confessed?”

“Every Saturday, since I was a freshman,” Tao answered for Sehun, still looking amused, “Sehunah is silly,”

“So, since like, four years ago or something?”

“No, Tao graduated with honors from the university when he was 16. That was why he was invited to play for the Queen on her birthday,”

“What, which Queen-“

“Of United Kingdom and Commonwealth Realms,” Sehun mumbled nonchalantly before turning to Tao again, “Whyyyyy~~”

“You know why, Sehun,”

The first time Sehun confessed to him had made Tao felt extremely awkward. Of all people, why does Sehun has to like him, the only person who could never see him more than a friend, or maybe a—

“But you said I am your soul mate!” Sehun pouted.

That.

“And that was why exactly,” Tao breathed, smiling softly, reaching for Sehun, who leaned closer so Tao could brush his cheek, “I love you too much to hurt you like that. Being with me won’t make you happy,”

“You make me happy just by breathing. Do you know how scared I was when Chanyeol hyung called me and told me you were in a hospital?”

“I can imagine,” Tao honestly replied, “Sorry,”

Kris watched the scene unveils in front of him with a mix of astonishment, disbelief, and awe. One of which, was because Sehun had been confessing to Tao for ten years now, and kept on doing so despite the repeated rejection.

Chanyeol, on the other hand, immediately knew what Tao meant. Sehun and Tao actually looked more like bickering twins more than a pair of lovers having a petty fight.

Sehun pouted even more before reaching to grab Tao’s hand, massaging it slowly and gently, “You know I’ll come at you next Saturday,”

Tao smiled softly, nodding ever so gently, “I do,”

“Look forward for it,”

“Okay,”

Sehun massaged Tao’s hand more, making sure every part of his fingers were massaged, touched and given pressure. The boy was still pouting, not satisfied with Tao’s another rejection, but he could not ignore him and his own need to make Tao feel better.

“What are you doing?” Chanyeol asked again.

“Massaging his hand,” Sehun eyed Chanyeol with judging eye. What else is he doing, isn’t it quite obvious?

Tao smiled, looking thankful.

Sehun glanced to find both Chanyeol and Kris still staring at him, waiting for a legit explanation.

“He couldn’t train his own fingers. I usually do this for him if he couldn’t play piano when he’s sick or something. To help the fingers warm and trained, so they’re not as stiff for when he start playing piano again,”

“I see…” Kris mumbled as he watched Sehun’s fingers massaging the palm of Tao’s hand, learning.

Tao suddenly turned his palm to hold Sehun’s hand, effectively stopping his movement, “Sehunah, thank you,” Sehun must have known his distress and fear of not being able to play piano again. Of course he knew. Sehun witnessed how creating music helped Tao went through his difficult times.

Sehun didn’t answer immediately, but bumped their foreheads together for a second, “I am your soul mate for a reason,”

Tao smiled through his mask, genuinely and beautifully, for the first time after a while. Sehun was more than relieved and happy to see that. He smiled back softly; glad that some things can remain the same despite the completely different circumstances.

Sehun was still massaging Tao’s hand when Baekhyun appeared on the door, looking hesitant.

“Hey, got the juice?” Kris asked, receiving a nod from Baekhyun. But the other remained rooted on his spot on the doorway.

“What is it?” Chanyeol stood up, not liking Baekhyun’s expression.

“Uhm… The detective is here… He wanted to see Tao but I figured you’d want to see him first…” Baekhyun said as he opened the door wider, revealing detective Kim on the other side of it.

Kris stood as well, resting his hand on confused Tao’s shoulder. The younger looked up to find Kris looking at him, but he didn’t say anything. A detective?

Sehun turned towards the door and sat closer to Tao, like shielding him. Why the is there a detective here and what does he want?

Chanyeol glanced at Kris, who nodded. Kris leaned in to say, “I’ll be back,” before joining Chanyeol who was already walking towards Baekhyun, thanking him.

Both Kris and Chanyeol stepped outside, closing the door to Tao’s room behind them. It turns out that Lay, Dr. Park, Zhoumi, and Detective Kim are indeed already waiting for them. Another officer was standing behind them, watching the two newcomers with unreadable expression.

“Good afternoon, Kris, Chanyeol,” Detective Kim greeted, “I am sorry to have come without notice but we’d like to ask the younger Mr. Park some questions,”

“And why exactly?” Chanyeol asked, “We already told you what we know,”

“Indeed,” Detective Kim said, “But we have reasons and evidence that we need to confirm with Mr. Park,”

“We agreed to left him out of this,” Kris said, looking at Zhoumi, who nodded.

“The police had found something very critical to the investigation,” Zhoumi said, gesturing to the detective.

“And they insisted on going against medical restriction,” Lay rolled his eyes, “I told them Tao was still unstable mentally, and here we are anyway,”

“We need all information if we want to go on with the investigation,”

Kris sighed in disapproval, “And what did you find exactly?”

“A wrecked car that I believe belonged to the younger Mr. Park, and a body possessing Im Hyun Sik’s identification,” the detective answered.

The new information Kris and Chanyeol. Whoever doing this was really on a killing spree.

“Hyun Sik died?”

Detective Kim nodded.

“And where did you find the car?”

“At the edge of Seoul. There were tracks of another two vehicles, but Mr. Park’s car was the only one smashing into the storage building of the factory complex. We found the driver’s body inside the car but we identified that Im Hyun Sik’s death was not because of the collision,”

“What do you mean?”

Detective Kim took a deep breath, “He was disemboweled,”

Kris stared at the detective in disbelief, while Chanyeol clasped a hand over his mouth.

“…”

“There was no sign of any of his organ around him. We’re trying to find if there were any burial signs around but we have found none,”

“And how would you think my fiancé will help you in this? He was hit by a bus downtown, nowhere near what you have told us,” Kris gritted his teeth. He was angry. He was mad that Tao could have the same fate as their driver. He was mad that someone dared to do this. He was furious that Tao was in that kind of danger and he did not know.

“That was the case, actually. Mr. Park was supposed to be in the same car. But the car was found far away from him. Whatever happened before, we have no knowledge yet,”

“I understand,” Chanyeol finally lowered his hand, “Even though I don’t think my brother could help you much. He just recognized me last week,”

Detective Kim nodded.

“You’re only going near my patient with me next to him, and you would stop when I tell you to,” Dr. Park said in his calm demeanor. Lay watched him in surprise, ready to protest. Tao is not ready for this! But the attending continued, “I need to warn you though, there is a big chance you are not going to get any worthy information. Park Zitao has amnesia and is partially blind for the time being. When he gave any sign of distress, I take it you’d be understanding enough to leave,”

“Any information I could get would be very much appreciated,” Detective Kim replied, “If by any chance Mr. Park was unable to answer or continue due to his health, I would step back,” he promised.

Kris eyed Chanyeol and knew that there’s no way avoiding this. If it helps them finding the culprit then they have to do it.

Making up his mind, Kris opened the door again to reveal Tao finishing his juice, Baekhyun and Sehun on each side of his bed, meeting his eyes with both curiosity and worry.

“Zi,” Kris called, reaching for Tao’s hand, “Someone wants to talk to you. This is Detective Kim,”

“Good afternoon, Mr. Park, it is nice to finally meet you,” Detective Kim greeted.

Tao looked up from his glass and stared at the multiple figures around the door, “…Why are there so many people?”

“Dr. Park, Lay, and Zhoumi, our lawyer, are also here, Zi,” Chanyeol said, “They’re going to ask you some things, and you just need to tell us everything you could remember,”

“This is my colleague, Jun, and he will help me to write everything you say,” Detective Kim said again, gesturing to the other officer, who nodded.

Tao blinked repeatedly, confused, “Why is there a detective?” he asked, frowning.

Sehun turned to say something but Kris beats him to it, “They wanted to know something about your accident,”

“What’s with my accident?”

Kris bit his lip, contemplating how to tell Tao about it. He signaled to Sehun to sit up, so he could sit where the younger was sitting before, next to Tao.

Once he was settled, he took Tao’s hand in his, caressing it softly, “Tao, there’s something you need to know… You were hit by a bus and were taken here as soon as it happened. You were walking, when you were supposed to be travelling in your car. We parted in the morning as I went to the office, and you had our driver take you to the studio. We figured something had happened on your way there, and that’s when the accident happen,”

Tao blinked, visibly shivering, “What?”

“Detective Kim here wanted to ask you some questions about it,” Chanyeol said from where he was standing, “Do you think you can do it?”

“I was not in a car? I was… What?” Tao looked even more confused.

Kris didn’t want to pressure Tao and he definitely didn’t want him to be confused. So he tried again, “Xiao ai, do you remember anything about that day?”

“I… I am not sure what I have to remember…” Tao said, barely audible.

“Mr. Park, my name is Detective Kim, and I am in charge of your case,”

“What case?” Tao asked again, “What is going on?”

Kris sighed. There’s no way of avoiding this anymore. He nodded to Detective Kim, who stepped closer with his assistant in tow.

“Mr. Park, on the day of your accident you left your house early in the morning as usual to go to your studio in Gangnam. You were admitted in the hospital sometime in the afternoon. Do you remember anything that happened in between?” the detective asked.

“I… My studio? Where do I live?” Tao asked, frowning as his headache return slowly.

Lay eyed the heart rate monitor that showed increasing number. Tao is on the verge of another panic attack. He turned to notify his attending but Dr. Park was already watching the same monitor.

“My team and I had found your car, wrecked on the other side of the city. Do you remember anything about it?” the detective asked again.

“Wrecked?” Tao repeated and felt his breath hitched.

Kris took Tao’s other hand and squeezed them, “Breathe, baby. Just breathe, and slowly try to remember,”

Tao was still shivering as he tries to breathe and remember, but he could find nothing.

The car was wrecked.

“I… I don’t…”

“Can you tell us the last thing you remembered, Zi?” Chanyeol asked.

“I went to the concert hall with Sehun… It’s our professors’ orchestra, they played Dvořák, the bells of Zlonice…”

Behind Kris, Sehun bit his lip. Damn, that was four years ago. And Sehun clearly remembered that. The composition was so special as it was lost almost immediately after it was finished. It was treasured, and was not commonly performed in the university. That was why Sehun insisted to go in the first place. Tao agreed to company him, and made him get the other-

“And Sehun got me Sachertorte on our way back…”

A slice of Sachertorte.

“That’s Sehun,” Baekhyun pointed at Sehun.

Detective Kim turned to the said boy, “Can you confirm this?”

“Yes,” Sehun glanced at Tao, hesitating on what he’s going to say, “It was four years ago,”

Tao looked shocked at the information, “Four years…”

That’s how much he had lost.

Kris watched Tao closely. Tears were already forming in his eyes, and his lips quivered, disbelief thick on his face. He too, glanced at the heart rate monitor before asking further.

“Do you remember living back in Seoul, baby?” Kris asked, trying to let the detective know that Tao really doesn’t remember a lot of things. Too much things.

“No… I lived… In Vienna, Austria, since I was eight… I don’t… The car was wrecked?” Tao’s voice disappeared at the end of his question as his tear fell. Kris reached and hugged him close. Tao wasn’t moving in his embrace but he could still hear his whispers of “wrecked, the car was wrecked,”

Dr. Park stepped in, “I need my patient to have his rest,” he said sternly, “I will answer your questions regarding his health but lets leave,”

Detective Kim nodded. If Tao could only remember events from four years ago, then he really can’t be much help for now, “Thank you, Mr. Park. I hope you get well soon,”

Lay, Dr. Park, Zhoumi, Jun, and Detective Kim left the room soon after.

Tao was shaking in Kris’ arms, and so the elder softly rub his palm on his arms, trying to calm him.

The repeated whisper finally died down and Tao looked up, “Why is there a detective? Why did my accident become his… case?”

Kris sat straighter and settled on holding Tao’s hand, “To be entirely honest with you, we didn’t know much either. Detective Kim is here to help us know more about it,”

“We have reasons to think that it might not be safe for you out there, for now. Someone might be trying to hurt you intentionally,” Chanyeol tried to explain as vague as possible, not wanting to stress Tao even more.

Tao didn’t look calmer, but even more panicked, “What?”

“Tao…” Baekhyun called, finally saying something after a while, “Lets not focus on that, okay? Focus on healing. We have Detective Kim on that, to figure out things that we have not known. So don’t worry about it. In the meantime, you have to focus on healing, okay?”

Tao blinked repeatedly, letting Baekhyun’s words sink in, “Okay,” he agreed.

 

 

 

 

For the next three weeks, Detective Kim hasn’t bothered them with any more questioning. Kris and Chanyeol are focused on Tao’s recovery, and so does Sehun. Baekhyun had kept them on a schedule, taking turns so they would have their breaks (to which Tao agreed immediately. The boy knew at least that much, that Kris and Chanyeol are beyond tired). Victoria and Kris’ parents had repeatedly visited, especially his Mom, since she was determined to make Tao gain back the weight he had lost since he started to stay in the hospital.

With their position in the company, sometimes office staffs, usually Fei or Luna, Chanyeol’s secretary, will come to ask for their signatures. Both still refuses to leave Tao and tried their best to keep him from being overwhelmed by the number of visitors. So the bunch that’s now causing commotion as they enter the hospital was unexpected.

Youngji, a young nurse, ran to the nurse station on Tao’s floor, attempting to calm her breath as she caught her colleagues’ attention.

“Oh goodness,”

“What happened, Youngji? Why are you running? You know you’re not supposed to run,” Hani, a fellow nurse, asked.

“Eonnie, do you know that patient? The one who was admitted because of a bus accident?”

“Park Zitao?” Jiyoung asked, “Yeah, he’s getting so much better, it’s really nice to see him smile. The first week when he kept on crying stresses me too,”

“Did you see his family?” Youngji asked again.

“Oh yes, I really like looking at his fiancé!”

“His ears are weird but he is cute!”

“That’s his brother, you idiot,”

“Oh the taller one is also cute! And the one who sleeps on the couch, geez I can squeeze him,”

“Even the y one is cute. The world is so unfair,”

“I think Tao is the cutest. I mean, have you seen him laugh? So cheeky!”

“Oh guys. You’re gonna love this,” Youngji grinned.

“What?” Hani asked, and that was when the bunch, a flock of men in fresh pressed suits came into their sight, stepping out from the elevator with flowers, balloons, fruit and pastry baskets, a bag of presents, a panda plush, you name it, they have it in their arms.

“Sweet baby Jesus,” Jiyoung mumbled in awe as they passed, one with pale skin flashed them his angelic smile.

“Excuse me,” the one with deer-like eyes stopped in front of them, “Park Zitao?”

“Uh…” Hani stuttered, “Pa-Park…”

“Park Zitao’s room?” he asked again, smiling softly.

Hani still failed to find her voice, and so Youngji pointed at the end of the corridor, “On the right,” she said, grinning widely.

The man thanked them before leading the way to Tao’s room.

“What the hell just happened? Did we die? Are we in heaven?” Jiyoung asked, still in awe.

That moment, Lay came and slammed a chart on the counter, “Mr. Lee peed himself again, can one of you help with new sheets?”

Hani eyed Jiyoung, “Nope, not heaven,” she mumbled as she rose to get new sheets.

 

 

 

A knock on the door took Tao’s attention.

“Are we waiting for someone?” Kris asked, looking up from massaging Tao’s hand, and Chanyeol shrugged.

“Maybe Baekhyun hyung?” Sehun asked. Baekhyun had left for rest and work last night.

“He doesn’t knock,” Chanyeol said as he opened the door.

“Chanyeol!” Luhan jumped and hugged the elf, “How’s Tao?”

“Woah, what are you guys doing here?” Chanyeol asked in surprise, noticing the crowd behind Luhan.

“Like we don’t miss Zitao,” Joonmyeon waved the panda plushie in his hand.

“Got him cookies,” Chen waved a basket that he was holding, “And tart,” he said as he waved another basket.

“Hey, Chanyeol,” Xiumin also waved.

Chanyeol chuckled as he opened the door wider and called, “Zi, guess who,”

Tao tilted his head from his seated position on the bed, “Who?”

“These are our friends from the office. Luhan, Joonmyeon, Xiumin, and Chen,” Chanyeol said, introducing them again, “You met them already, around the same time you knew Baekhyun,”

The four guys were already briefed that Tao lost his memory. Or more like Chen hacked into the hospital archives, found that out, and informed the others.

“Hello,” Tao said softly, Sehun watching him from the other side of the room. Tao sometimes could be nervous meeting new people. Fortunately this time, he seemed to be relaxed, “Nice to meet you,”

“I got you balloons!” Xiumin said as he approached the bed, “Want to touch it?”

“Ah hyung, why would he touch a balloon?” Chen mocked, “I got you cookies!”

“Don’t trust him, he made it himself, it could be poisonous,” Joonmyeon said, “Here’s a panda plush! Got you a new one,”

“Damn, he got loads already from you, Joon,” Kris said, raising an eyebrow.

“One can’t have too many plush,” Joonmyeon grinned when Tao hugged the panda plush.

“Thank you,” Tao said softly, liking the feeling of the furry fabric in his arms.

“Cheating bastard,” Luhan mumbled, eyeing the flower basket he got in his other hand, “I got you bananas!”

“You think he’s a minion?” Chen teased, “Baozi here looked more like a minion than Tao, don’t you think?”

“Watch your mouth or I will blow up your car,”

“Burn~” Luhan grinned, making Tao laughed.

The boy felt like the crowd was strange, but familiar at the same time, like a family.

“Get well soon, dongsaeng, and I will take you to eat makchang,” Xiumin said, ignoring Chen’s previous remark.

“No, don’t go with him. Hyung will take you to eat hanwoo,” Joonmyeon said, eyeing Xiumin. His competitive nature shows again.

“Or we can get bubble tea too!” Luhan cheered.

“Bubble tea?” Sehun perked up, “What’s a bubble tea?”

Luhan tilted his head, “It’s a very delicious drink made from angel wings! You have never tried it?”

Sehun shook his head.

“Wait, who are you again?” Luhan asked, confused.

“Sehun is my friend, from Vienna,” Tao said softly, still cuddling the panda plush, “He was born there,”

“Oh maaan~ You’re in for the best treat of your life!”

Chen eyed Sehun for a moment, “Have we met?” he asked.

Sehun looked at him, “Nope. I’d recognize your cheekbones anywhere,”

“Are you sure?” Chen asked again. He was sure he had seen Sehun somewhere.

“Yep,” the younger said again, and Chen shrugged.

“We have something we wanted to talk about though,” Joonmyeon said, setting the flower bouquet on Tao’s desk, “Can we—“

There was another knock on the door.

“Are we waiting for someone else?” Xiumin asked, alerted.

“Maybe the nurse,” Chanyeol said, opening the door to reveal a tall man in shades and dark coat.

Nope. Not nurse.

“Good afternoon,” he said, “Is this Park Zitao’s room?”

Sehun tensed up at the voice. . He’s found.

“Yes,” Xiumin stepped closer to the door, “And who are you?”

“Yunho. I am here to take Oh Sehun with me,” Yunho said with a smile.

Chen was immediately alerted and eyed Yunho up and down.

Ah. So thats where he had seen Sehun.

“Oh no, you’re not taking anybody,” Kris rose too, while Luhan stepped closer to Tao.

The tension was so strong in the room, and it was clear that Xiumin, Chanyeol, and Kris will not allow Yunho to come in, and none of them even think of handing Sehun away no matter what—

“Yunho hyung?” Tao’s soft voice cut through the silence and everyone turned towards him, “How are you?”

“Ah, Zitao!” Yunho smiled wider, taking off his shades, “Feeling better?”

“Everyone has been helping me,” Tao said with a chuckle, “Sehun didn’t tell you he flew here?”

“Oh, no. You know he didn’t tell me anything. But I always had my ways,” Yunho laughed loudly, making Sehun cower behind Chanyeol, “Where’s that brat?”

Sehun cursed silently before standing up, “Here,”

“Ah, there you are. Let’s go,”

“Why? I want to stay here with Tao!”

“Nope, you’re coming with me,”

“No!”

“You’re going to regret it if you don’t come with me now, Oh Sehun,” Yunho said sternly and Sehun pouted.

“You can go,” Tao said, taking everyone’s attention again, “I will be healthy soon, I promise,”

Sehun lowered his head, dragging his feet towards Tao’s bed. He sat on where Kris was sitting, throwing himself to Tao’s chest.

“No,” he mumbled stubbornly.

“Hyung needs you,” Tao smiled.

“And you don’t?” Sehun said against Tao’s chest.

“I do, but I also have Yifan ge and Chan ge here. Yunho hyung must be lonely,”

“Oh believe me, I’m not, but I do need him to come with me now,” Yunho said, the same smile still plastered on his face. Xiumin was still on his stance, ready if Yunho tried to do something funny. He didn’t like this man at all. His smile looked fake to him.

Sehun sat up, looking at Tao, “You will be okay?”

“I will be okay,” Tao answered.

“You won’t forget to text me again?”

“When did I-“

“The last time you left me you only called me once in a while between your recording and rehearsals and I hated it. You didn’t even tell me you were engaged,”

“Okay, I’m sorry. I promise I will do better,” Tao said, giggling.

Sehun leaned in, pressing a kiss on Tao’s cheek, much to Kris’ dismay, “Okay,”

“Okay,” Tao smiled, “Go,”

“Get better soon,” Sehun said again, pressing another kiss on Tao’s other cheek. Luhan raised both his eyebrows, eyeing Kris who looked like he was ready to strangle Sehun.

Little boy you better run and safe yourself.

“Promise,” Tao said, pushing Sehun, “Be good,”

“I am always good!” Sehun whined before taking his bags and luggage, fitting everything in his arms and walked towards the door, “Don’t forget to massage his hands,” he said when he passed Kris.

The taller nodded, albeit still not fully understanding what’s happening.

“Bye Zitao!” Yunho said, pushing Sehun out of Tao’s room, “Get better soon!” he waved, before dragging Sehun by the arm and scolded him loudly as they walk towards the elevator.

Xiumin popped his head out to make sure they had really left before closing the door.

“Whoa. What was that?”

“You know him, Zi?” Chanyeol asked.

The boy nodded, “Yunho hyung is Sehun’s brother,” he smiled, “Don’t worry, Sehun always escaped from Yunho hyung and he always find him,”

The rest of the room nodded in unison, “Now that makes sense,” Chen clapped.

“What makes sense?” Kris asked.

“I’ll tell you why,” Chen winked, “a.s.a.p. In the mean time, we need to talk to you,”

Lay came in then, “Woah, so many people,” he said before waving to Tao and approached him, wanting to do his daily assessment.

“Let’s talk outside while Lay’s here,” Kris said, turning to Tao, “I’ll be back soon, okay?”

Tao nodded, and proceeded to talk to Lay, who was telling him about the new patient that had came in yesterday.

The rest of the guys stepped outside and settled on the chairs that were provided in the corridor.

“What’s going on?” Kris asked.

“We need you back in the office,” Joonmyeon said, “The stock had been decreasing in a very concerning speed, and even your father and sister could not save it,”

“Why?” Chanyeol asked again.

“Well basically, everything was still running the same way, but there’s no the two of you. The media are going wild trying to find you and Chen had repeatedly sent virus to their system to stall them from publishing false news. We have held a press conference, but when they realize that it was not you who stood there and talk to them, they went crazy,” Luhan informed.

“The shareholders had also requested for you two,” Joonmyeon continued.

“You know we can’t,” Kris said, “My fiancé is in the hospital, and how would you think I’d leave him?”

“You don’t have to,” Xiumin grinned, “Fei found someone, Chen finished his background check last week and I finished my assessment on him yesterday. You’d have someone to be with Tao if you’re not there,”

“Two someones,” Chen corrected, “As I have noted, you have fired your household staff, you paranoid giant,”

“Yeah, two,” Xiumin agreed.

“Wait. Wait. What?” Chanyeol asked, turning to Kris who was staring at him in serious gaze, letting him know that he’s doing his analysis thing in his head again. Usually Chanyeol would figure out what he’s thinking, but this time the elf shook his head, “You’re thinking and talking too fast I couldn’t keep up. What are you talking about?”

“I asked Fei to find me a bodyguard for Tao,” Kris said simply.

“Really?”

“As real as it can be,” Kris answered.

"You're being over protective," Chanyeol pointed out, crossing his arms over his chest.

"You can say that. I protect people dear to me,"

Kris’ reply brought back all the events they have gone through together, and one particular event stuck out, "… me. The merger?!" Chanyeol breathed.

"Your parents’ passing was all too sudden. The talk about the merger had happened many times prior, I just push it faster. Its my way of making sure you and Tao would still be able to live the same standard of living. That you will survive,"

"Are you saying I'm incapable of managing my father's company?!" Chanyeol raised his tone of voice, making Joonmyeon squint.

"Exactly the other way around. I know you are more than capable. It’s just me making sure, securing it so that it does happen. Look where you are now. Your father's company is bigger than ever, whatever you do is a great success and everything you touch turns to gold," Kris said with the same serious tone.

","

"You're welcome,"

"I knew there’s something about you and my brother since we were little but I never realize what it meant entirely," Chanyeol sighed.

"I will make sure of Tao's happiness and well being with all measures," Kris said, declaring what to him is obvious.

"And that was exactly why I told my dad about his piano and Vienna,"

"Seemed like we have the same purpose in life,"

Chanyeol eyed Kris. Even though he was still upset, what his best friend said was true, "Don't say it like that, it makes me feel like I am the same you are,"

"Said the person who sent his own brother halfway around the world," Kris flicked his tongue, “Hypocrite,”

"I did it for his own good!"

"Then we are no different indeed,"

"…"

"Why are you so worked up anyway? Isn't it good like this?"

Chanyeol took a deep breath, realizing the truth in Kris’ words, "I guess I just never thought that it was your intention,"

“As I you,” Kris mumbled, “I assure you we’re on the same grounds aiming for the same sky,”

Chanyeol shook his head before punching Kris’ upper arm, “Still an ,”

“Ow! Jerk,”

“Okay, now that that’s settled, we have to work on all the arrangements needed,” Luhan said, and Fei appeared from inside the elevator, along with Luna. They were ready with notepads and tabs, walking towards the seated men with a smile on their faces.

“I have arranged a cleaning team to clean up your house, Sir, I oversee their work myself to make sure they keep up to your high standards. We decided that Zitao won’t be able to climb up and down the stairs for a while and so we prepared the guest rooms for him and make it as comfortable as possible,” Fei said, showing the tab she had been holding to Kris, “I found someone by the name of Do Kyungsoo, and I took the liberty to hire him to help around the house. He was also acquainted with Kim Jongin, the bodyguard you have asked for Zitao,”

“Nice work, Fei,” Kris complimented, sliding the pictures of their house, and the new arrangements Fei had prepared.

“Thank you,” Fei smiled, “I also have here the company reports as well as the report of the latest stockholder meeting,”

Next to her, Luna showed Chanyeol the same document; “I have also sent this to your email, sir,”

Chanyeol nodded and read the said reports. Indeed, it is concerning.

“Thank you for preparing all this, but… I don’t really know when Tao could be taken home,” Chanyeol sighed.

“Exactly a week from now,” Chen said, “If his blood count permits,”

Kris eyed Chen, raising one eyebrow.

“I hacked into the hospital archives,” he answered Kris’ silent question, “And then my brain did its wonders, plus, I spoke to Zhang Yixing, his doctor,”

“He’d still be having to come back and forth for the therapies,”

“Kim Jongin could help with that. Do Kyungsoo is also a licensed psychotherapist, with a certificate from Le Cordon Bleu,” Fei said again, and Chen nodded in approval.

“He’s also a garden maniac, and so I believe Tao would get along very well with him,” Chen added.

Kris sighed.

“So now, would you come back to the company?” Joonmyeon asked, and Chanyeol turned to Kris to find his best friend already looking at him.

They really have no reason to refuse anymore. As much as they wanted to stay with Tao forever, as long as they have their names on the board, they could not be that selfish. Responsibility has to be fulfilled.

“Do you happen to have this Kim Jongin somewhere in that elevator?” 

 

 

 

Kris reentered Tao’s room with Chanyeol. Tao was sitting on his bed, giggling to whatever it is Lay was telling him. The sound of the door closing took Lay’s attention and the intern surgeon rose to his feet.

“How is he doing?”

“Great,” Lay smiled before turning back to Tao, “Make sure you eat a lot, okay? I’ll tell Youngji to give you extra chocolate pudding,”

Tao nodded excitedly and Lay excused himself.

“Are you tired?” Kris asked as he sat next to Tao, on his bed, his usual spot.

“A little,” the younger replied, “But I also just drank my medicine. I don’t really know if I feel sleepy because of it or I really am tired,”

“Do you think you can meet another person?” Chanyeol asked, still standing close to the door.

“Okay,” Tao smiled, and Kris took the chance to kiss both his cheeks. Partly because he thinks Tao is always the cutest when he smiles, and also because he want to erase the trace of Sehun’s kisses on his fiancé’s cheeks.

Tao looked visibly shy after the gesture, and Kris grinned.

“Okay, we can bring him in,” Kris said through his gummy smile.

"Tao, I'd like to introduce you to someone," Tao heard Chanyeol said.

There was the sound of the door opening and closing. Either someone came in, or Chanyeol just went outside to fetch this person.

"This is Kim Jongin,"

Oh. Someone came in.

"From this day onwards, he'll be your companion," Kris said again.

Tao was silent, processing the information.

"Companion?" he finally mustered.

"Yes, he'll be with you wherever you are,"

"… Why? I am bed bound," It’s not like he could actually go anywhere.

"For your safety," Kris explained.

Tao frowned, figuring it out, "A bodyguard,"

"Yes,"

"Why?"

Kris squeezed Tao’s hand, "So that I could know that you're safe, when I am not around,"

Tao looked like he was ready to reject the idea. A bodyguard? He’s almost 23 and now Chanyeol and Yifan decided he needed a babysitter just because he’s got himself in the hospital?

That’s a little… degrading, as if they’re blatantly saying he’s incapable of doing things on his own.

Tao was pulling his hands back but Kris held them still, "Baby," he said as he reached for the younger's cheek, "I am doing this so you could be safe. Nothing else. I need to know that you are safe. I need you to be safe,”

“But I do feel safe,” Tao protested, “I mean, aren’t I?”

"You are, but… Soon, Chanyeol and I had to go back to the office, and I didn’t want you to be alone at home. That's why we have Jongin here," Kris turned and motioned for Kai to come closer.

"Hello, Mr. Park," Jongin greeted, smiling.

“…” Tao stared at the new figure, not saying anything.

“Come on, baby,” Kris coaxed.

“…Tao. Mr. Park is my father," Tao finally responded.

Kai smiled softly, "Hello, Tao. My name is Kim Jongin but you can call me Kai. I will be your guard from now on,"

 

 

 

 

Tao finally fell asleep half an hour later, exhausted from asking Kai all questions he could come up with. Kris and Chanyeol left the room again after telling Kai to stay with Tao.

Outside, their friends, along with Fei and Luna are still waiting.

“How did he take it?” Luhan asked.

“I could tell he didn’t like this one bit, but they seem to get along,” Chanyeol answered, sighing heavily.

“Chen,” Kris called, and Chen looked up from Luna’s tab, “You said you’d tell me a.s.a.p. How did you recognize Sehun and Yunho?”

Chen grinned, “I knew it’s still bugging you,” he said, rising from his seat and walked towards Kris, handing the tab in his hand to the taller.

“Sehun is the heir of Oh family, family crime syndicate who rules part a of Korea for decades,” Chen said, “That Yunho was his adopted older brother, as well as his mentor, the one who’s responsible of him until he’s ready to take over the family business,”

Kris read the information and scrolled the page, and in red, at the bottom of the page, it reads, Affiliated with Ok family for a joint project. The Ohs worked in providing delivery services for Oks goods in early 2000s. Both families had remained in good terms after the explosion of one of Ok family storage in 2002 that ceased the distribution line completely. No further information are found on this relationship,

Kris looked up to meet Chen’s eyes.

“Are you saying-“

“Yes. He could be behind whoever it was that sent Tao here,” Chen said in one breath.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

DUN DUN DUUUUUN!!!

on a cheerier note though, I just watched My Sunshine and boy my baby Tao was SO HANDSOME. HE REALLY IS AN ANGEL. I HAVE TO PAUSE THE MOVIE REPEATEDLY FOR I GENUINELY TOO EXCITED I FORGOT TO BREATHE. Yall should watch it. I really hope ths acting debut will get him a brilliant acting career in the future!

don't forget to comment, you know I love reading your comments! ^^

 

 

 

 

x