twelve

Remember Us

“No way,” Chanyeol said, almost laughing. Sehun is too childlike for something like this. He’s too fond of his brother. The boy had been confessing to his brother for 10 years, and even if he do own the resources for it, its just impossible for him to do this!

 

Xiumin turned to Chanyeol, one eyebrow raised, “Sorry?”

Chanyeol stared at Xiumin as if he was crazy for not being able to see how ridiculous the information was, “Sehun was with Tao all this long. Fifteen years! He could have done something before. Why now? The guy just confessed for the God knows how many times in there! Why would he do this?”

“Its more the reason, then?” Xiumin suddenly said, trying to reason, “I have seen many crimes committed on the grounds of bitterness from rejections and heartache,”

“You don’t know him,” Chanyeol retorted, returning Xiumin’s sharp gaze.

“Chanyeol. Do you? Like Kris, you just knew that he’s the heir to mafia empire,” Xiumin reminded, “I think you should put him under suspicion until proven otherwise,”

The elf shook his head. Chen was the best analyst, informant, hacker, call it whatever, and never once, his information is wrong. Xiumin does the same, but with his military training background, he preferred field investigation. And like Chen, he was too, never wrong. But all this just doesn’t make sense to him.

Sure Sehun was rejected countless times, and it must have been hurt at least at one point. Sehun and Tao had been together for years and the former had been taking such good care of his brother. Tao had been so nice to Sehun and it is likely that he gave the latter a wrong idea, a false hope. And through those rejections, Sehun has been waiting on Tao and companying without any change in his behavior. Sehun was still the attentive caring friend that Tao had known.

The only thing Chanyeol knew Sehun resent about was that Tao didn’t tell him about Kris. But for Chanyeol, it was almost understandable. Tao and Kris were inseparable and his brother was the kind of person that could only focus on one thing at a time. Kris is always serious at work. So when the two get to meet, it’s like the world only belongs to them. They really would spend it just with the two of them. Even Chanyeol was sometimes forgotten. Not that he mind, but the same thing could also be the reason why Tao never mentioned Kris to Sehun and it was not reason to do anything so drastic that endangers Tao’s life like this.

“I know,” Chanyeol said, frustrated. He really can’t get a hang of this, “But I also know it’s very unlikely,”

Kris was silent the whole time, observing Chanyeol. To him, Sehun too, looked too nice. Even though he gets on his nerves more than often, whatever he does, Tao always comes first to him. It must have been very uncomfortable and annoying, having to fly in such a short notice and to stay weeks in a hospital with strangers, but Sehun did it anyway, because of Tao.

But Kris also knew, the closest person usually is the one that hurts the most. The most dangerous. What Chen said was possible.

Kris sighed, “I won’t point my finger at anyone. My focus is my fiancé’s health and well-being and that’s that,”

There’s too much things more important to do and to think about. Whoever Sehun is, whoever is doing this, until they actually found out, he could only protect Tao as best as he could.

“Please continue your investigation,” Kris requested, earning a firm nod from Chen.

“For sure,” Chen replied.

Luhan glanced at both Kris and Chanyeol, carefully asking, “If then, Zitao could go home, would you guys come back to the company?”

Kris sank into the chair. Imagining having to leave Tao at home while he was away actually frightens him. What if something happen while he’s away?

“This Kim Jongin, is he any good?” Kris asked, needing reassuring.

“We actually trained together until he decided to work as an agent. Accomplished his last mission two years ago. He got a good hang on capoeira and karate, even though he prefers firearms,” Xiumin grins, “Having said that, I guarantee you don’t have to worry,”

Kris took a deep breath, thinking. If Jongin is as good as Xiumin said to be, then he could relax a little.

He glanced to Chanyeol, who nodded, “Then when Zitao is declared well enough to go home, we’re coming back,”

 

 

 

Dont even try to run,

Tao turned around to see a pair of eyes, looking serious, threatening, angry.

Who are you?! Tao yelled.

The man chuckled, No need for you to know. You just need to come with us,

Tao didnt even answer. He turned again, intending to run, but the man caught his arm.

You will not escape this,

 

 

 

He woke up with a sharp gasp.

Lay, who was checking up on him, got alarmed and immediately held his arm, “Tao?”

Kris who was working from his tab on the other side of the room looked up at the sound of his fiancé taking a sudden breath, throwing the device aside as he rushed to Tao’s side, “Xiao ai?”

Tao’s eyes darted across the room. The blurry dark room tells him that it was late. Way late, and there were only the three of them there.

Tao took a deep breath. One, two, three.

“Did something hurt?” Lay asked as he checked on Tao’s IV needle and the bandage on his arm, eyeing the monitors.

Tao responded by giving a small shake of his head, “It was just a…- I’m okay,”

“Bad dream, baby?” Kris asked, settling back on the chair he had situated next to Tao’s bed, observing the younger’s face.

Tao sighed as he nodded slightly.

Lay, who had been watching his patient, smiled before continuing to write on his chart, “It’s okay,” he said, “You’re safe,”

Kris sat in silence, watching Tao calming down. He took Tao’s hand in his and softly caressed the back, eyes still locked on the younger. He could tell that something bothered him in his dream.

He was about to ask when the surgeon’s cheerful voice interrupted his thought.

“You’re getting better and better, Tao! Great job! We might be able to start your therapy soon,” Lay said, letting him know, “Keep up the good work,”

Tao bit his lip, “Okay,”

“Don’t worry,” the friendly surgeon smiled wider, “I will be there too if you’d like,”

Tao nodded absentmindedly, hearing Lay’s babbling about until he excused himself; his white coat disappeared from behind the door.

Throughout all that, Kris didn’t take his eyes off of the younger. Despite being calm, Tao looked spaced out, still not fully recovering from what he saw in his sleep.

“Do you want to go back to sleep?”

Tao shook his head again, “Not now,”

Kris studied Tao’s expression before asking softly, “Xiao ai, what is it?”

Tao blinked, turning his head slowly to the direction of Kris’ voice, “Gege…” he called softly.

“Yes?” Kris smiled, liking how the word sounded in Tao’s voice.

“…Can you tell me a story?”

He needed to hear and think about something else other than his dream. His repeated weird dreams.

Kris smiled softly, “What do you want to know?”

“You,” Tao said after silently thinking, blushing a little at the thought of how silly his request is, “I want to know a lot more about you,”

It was unfair that Kris remembered everything and Tao didn’t. As he couldn’t predict when his memory would return, if it will return at all, he might as well learn about Kris. Not Kris his neighbor, but Kris his fiancé.

“Okay,” Kris replied, adjusting his chair so he’s sitting closer to Tao, “So, I am Wu Yifan, I was born in November 6,”

Tao giggled at the information, “That I know. We had a piñata on one of your birthdays…”

“Ah! That’s my 11th birthday!”

“And you broke it with Chan hyung,”

Kris smiled wider, “Because you told me you wanted the candy,”

Tao chuckled. So even then, Kris had been paying a lot of attention to him, “Tell me something else,”

Kris laughed along, squeezing Tao’s hand, “Like what?”

“Like… your hobby,” the younger decided.

“My hobby is playing basketball. Chanyeol and I often went to the court in Hangang. Lately, now that you’re here, you also came. Baekhyun sometimes do too, but he usually stayed under the shades if it’s too bright and hot. Most of the time you’d stay with him on the courtside eating ice cream or yogurt,”

Tao giggled again, “Sounds like me,”

“Yes,” Kris said, nudging Tao’s nose with his finger, finding his fiancé’s giggle very much adorable.

“What about food?”

“I like Chinese food. All of them. Korean food too. I don’t really eat a lot of Western cuisine if I could help it. You changed that when you made me your veal Schnitzel and Schweinsbraten,”

“Really?” Tao grinned, “Do you want me to make one for you sometime? I still remember how to make them!”

“Of course,” Kris smiled, “I’d love it…”

Yeah, it will be good to be able to eat Tao’s home cooked meal again. He would be very happy.

Tao smiled at the excitement in the elder’s reply. Kris was such a good person. He’s very kind and patient, and from the stories he was told, he was happy with him.

While the realization makes him happy, it also makes Tao worried.

What if his memories won’t return and Kris would hate him for that? What if Kris will get tired of him?

“Xiao ai?” Kris called after the younger’s silence. The other looked half nervous and half scared, and he doesn’t want Tao to feel that way, “You’re thinking again. What is it?”

Tao glanced at Kris’ blurry figure, “Ge, is it possible for you to hate me?”

Kris tilted his head, observing his fiance’s troubled expression, “What are you talking about? Of course not,”

“Why are you so sure?”

“Why are you doubting?” Kris asked Tao back, now holding his hand with both of his own, “Did I give you a reason to?”

Tao bit his lip, contemplating. Kris’ voice was soft, oh so soft, and he had been nothing but careful and gentle to him.

Tao felt like he doesn’t deserve all that.

“What if I don’t regain my memory?” Tao finally said his thoughts out loud, “What if I give you false hope? What if you… on the way, met someone else and he or she could give you what I can’t? I am not who I am anymore, and I don’t- you… You’re so nice. I am not the person you fall in love with, and still you’re here day and night catering to all my needs, to everything I want. You calm me every time I’m nervous, you hold me every time I’m scared, you’re here when I fall asleep and when I wake up. You’re this, amazing person, and I’m just me, a good for nothing handicapped person who could not take care of himself and… You’re better off without me but you’re here, and I felt like… Why did it happen to me…”

Tao’s words died down at the end, as he no longer could find his voice. He could feel his hand trembled in Kris’ strong yet gentle grip. He really doesn’t deserve him. He’s too good.

The next second Tao felt a warm finger rubbing his cheek and that was when he realized he was crying.

“Is that what you’re so worried about?” Kris asked softly, moving to sit next to his fiancé, on his bed, to be as close as possible to him.

Tao didn’t reply but continued to cry; now he was sobbing, and Kris gently cupped his cheeks as he wiped the tears with his thumbs.

“You should not worry, baby. You really have nothing to worry about. I love you. I have loved you for a long time, and like I said, I will be here with you every step of the way. I won’t force you to do anything, I won’t tell you to be anything you’re not. You’re still Tao, my Zitao, my favorite person in the world, my squishy panda,” Kris said softly, smiling when Tao whined at the mention of squishy panda.

“There’s nothing you could do that could make me hate you. You already left me halfway around the world without words, came back without notice, and yet you’re still the best miracle I have ever had. So please, don’t ever think like that ever again. Trust me when I say I love you, and I do meant everything I say. I love you, and I will never leave you,”

Kris felt so warm as he pressed their foreheads together. Tao was still sobbing nonetheless, but somehow Kris could tell that now it was a mix of relief and gratitude.

“I’m so-rry…” the younger choked, “I should have been more careful. I don’t know what happened but if I was careful I won’t be here and you don’t have to- we’d still be happy, and I’ll have everything. You, and my memory, and we—”

“Hush, baby,” Kris said, pressing a chaste kiss on Tao’s nose, “I am happy no matter what. You’re here with me, and as long as I have you, I’d be the happiest person on the face of earth,”

Tao shook his head, “God why are you like this- and you’re stuck with me… It must be a burden-“

Even when he couldn’t remember Kris, Tao doesn’t think he deserved this. Not someone as good as him.

Kris sighed silently, not liking Tao’s cry. He pressed his finger and gently lifted Tao’s chin, making the younger see him instead of his own hands. Even though it’s blurry to him, Kris knew that Tao was trying to focus his sight, doing all his might to be able to see him despite his current limitations, “You’re never a burden, baby. You’re my treasure,” he whispered, “please try to remember that whenever you have doubt,”

Tao sighed heavily, feeling his chest burning from the lack of oxygen after all the sobbing, “Ge… I couldn’t remember you… You look so foreign to me,” Tao reminded Kris, and the other could feel the sharp pang in his chest.

Kris couldn’t help but smiled sadly, watching Tao struggle between his sobs and reached to rub the younger’s back to help him relax a little, “But to me, everything about you was also so familiar at the same time. It’s confusing, but everything in me, all that I am, wants to be with you,” Tao finished, feeling great relief at his confession.

There was a spark in Kris’ eyes as he felt a new hope growing in his chest, “That’s really good. Because, so do I,” he smiled, caressing Tao’s cheek softly, “My very existence, my sole purpose, is to be with you,”

Tao closed his eyes at that, letting the last couple of teardrops fell on his cheeks, feeling the warmth of Kris’ thumb wiping them softly. Kris was so close he could smell his shampoo, and never had he felt so comfortable, so at home.

“Yifan ge…” Tao whined; choking another sob as he pulled the fabric of Kris’ shirt, wanting something to hold on to, making sure this is not a part of his dream. He didn’t want this to be a dream. Kris was with him, and he would be with him, and he was willing to wait. The person he was so fond of as a little boy loves him with all his being and however odd that was, however much it doesn’t make any sense in his head, Tao wants it. Between everything that he doubts, the only thing he knows for sure is that his heart yearns for the person sitting next to him, “Yifan…”

“Yes baby,” Kris hummed, leaning closer.

“Promise me… Promise me we’ll take our time. Promise me we’ll try to be happy no matter what. That we won’t hate each other, and that we’ll try out best to try and love each other again, like we used to,” Tao whispered through his silent sob, “Promise me that we will get through this together, and that you won’t let me go,”

Kris smiled, “I promise,” he vowed, closing the distance between them as he connected their lips in a soft and sweet, long awaited and well-deserved kiss. The one that assures Tao, that everything Kris said was true and honest, that he will be there and they will be together.

That their love would be there, waiting to be rediscovered.

 

 

 

 

True to what Chen had predicted, Lay declared Tao to be well enough to receive further treatment and rest at home a week later. Kris was more than excited to be able to bring Tao back home, and so does Chanyeol and Baekhyun. Kai was there helping them with packing Tao’s gifts and balloons, and all surgeons and doctors that had been working on Tao’s health stopped by to say goodbye.

Tao sat on his wheelchair, watching the commotion run about in his room. Albeit blurry, he knew that Kai was holding two large containers with colorful things on top of it, most likely flower vases, and Baekhyun already had a large bag filled with Chanyeol and Kris’ stuff that had been brought there during Tao’s stay. Chanyeol was out to deal with some papers and records stuff while Kris was talking to Lay.

“And don’t forget to cook for him. Wait, do you even cook? I don’t want to see Tao in the emergency room suffering from digestion problems because of your cooking,” Lay said, making Tao chuckle softly.

Kris rolled his eyes, “That would not happen,”

“Good,” Lay said, kneeling in front of Tao, “If, out of the blue, you missed the hospital’s pudding, just tell me, okay! I’ll bring you a whole gallon,

Tao nodded, smiling, “Thank you, Lay hyung,”

“Ah, there goes my favorite patient,” Lay sighed, faking sadness.

“You will come to visit me, right, hyung?” Tao asked, hoping.

“You think I could say no to that face?” Lay said as he fixed Tao’s bangs, “I will visit you, and by then, you better be fatter, or running about already,”

Tao laughed, “Okay,”

“Okay, the papers’ all done!” Chanyeol appeared in the room, watching the smiles that were directed to him and Tao.

The elf turned to his brother, who was beaming at the sight of his brother, “You ready?” he grinned.

Tao looked around the room, feeling a warm squeeze on his shoulder. The smile on Kris’ face made him nod firmly, “Yes,”

Slowly and carefully, Kris pushes Tao’s wheelchair out, Chanyeol and Baekhyun walking next to them while Kai already ran ahead to get the car. Youngji, Hani, and Jiyoung also gave their goodbyes as the group passed the nurse station. By the time they reached the hospital lobby, Tao had more plush toys and flowers on his lap, and Kai was already waiting with Chanyeol’s car behind him.

Gently, Tao was helped up and entered the car. Once he was settled, he looked around inside the car. The interior was black and everything smelled like his brother. Tao decided he liked it. Chanyeol then climbed up next to Kai who was driving, while Kris and Baekhyun sat on his sides.

“Ready to go, Tao?” Kai asked, watching the other from the rearview mirror.

Tao nodded softly, smiling nervously. Kris circled one arm around Tao to calm him, and indeed, it worked like magic.

Kai released the brake and started to move the car towards the hospital gate. Right when they passed the guard post, they were ambushed.

A flock of reporters and medias held up their cameras, standing on their toes in hope to get a peek of them.

“Mr. Park! Mr. Wu!!”

“Zitao!”

“Chanyeol, Kris! Could we get a statement?!”

“Park Zitao, can you look this way?!”

The yells continue on.

“Shoot,” Kai groaned, “Chen didn’t mention any of this,”

“How did they know!” Baekhyun said as he turned and tried to cover the people from getting a peek of his brother in law to be, “This is outrageous!” he said as one of the reporters knocked his window forcefully.

“Slowly, Kai, just keep on pushing through slowly, and when you get the chance, speed up,” Chanyeol said calmly as he observed the crowd outside.

The commotion and the sound of bumps and yells alarmed Tao, “What are those? Why is it so noisy? Who are they and what do they want?” he said, grabbing Kris’ thigh.

“Don’t worry baby,” he said, holding Tao’s hand, knowing that his fiancé was getting anxious again, “It’s just the reporters and they have nothing better to do,” he gritted through his teeth, throwing annoyed glance at the crowd.

Suddenly, all the reporters’ phone rang, taking their attention completely.

“Now!” Chanyeol said loudly, and Kai stepped on the gas, making their way out of the crowd.

“What was that?” Baekhyun asked as he fixed his seating in the speeding car, “How could their phones rang at the same time altoge- Oh nevermind, it must be Chen,”

“Are they following us?” Kris asked, glancing at the back of their car. Some of the reporters and cameramen are already getting into their vehicles, trying to keep up with them.

Kai glances at his mirror too and mumbled, “Not for long,”

Kai then sped up, drove fast through small alleys, making turns here and there to shake the nosey reporters off their tail. He was good in doing so, and it was working, as no one was seen to be following them anymore.

In the rush of everything that’s going on, none of them paid attention to Tao’s paling face.

“Stop! Stop!!” he screamed, a feeling of déjá vu rushed through his veins. He had been in the same situation before. He had been in a car chase.

His vision blurred even more and his head started to throb, “Stop the car, stop! Let me get out! Let me out!!!” he screamed in panic, his hands roamed around to grab the door handle. He succeeded in reaching one and pulling it open, but Kris was quick to pull it back close.

“Baby, no—“

“Stop the car now!!!!” Tao screamed again, his breath labored and visibly shivering. He felt cold.

“Kai, stop the car,” Chanyeol instructed again, pointing at the side of the road. He then turned to his brother, who was being held by both Baekhyun and Kris. Tao looked distressed and scared.

Frightened.

“No, no, no, release me!” he pulled both his arms, trying to get Baekhyun and Kris off of him, “Stop, stop, let me go!”

“Zi, what happened?” the elf asked, but in his panic, Tao didn’t hear him.

“Out, I need to get out of here,” Tao said frantically, cold sweats dripping from his temple. He felt suffocated.

He had been in the same situation.

“Zi, breathe, baby,” Kris said, holding Tao’s cheeks firmly, “It’s okay, I’m here. I got you,”

“No, no, no,” Tao gasped, searching for the door handle desperately.

“Xiao ai,” Kris called again, hoping that the younger would listen.

Tao’s eyes finally focused on Kris as he broke into sobs, “I can’t breathe, I need to get out,”

“I’ll open the window,” Baekhyun said, “Everyone open their windows!”

Kai pressed all buttons and all windows were opened, allowing fresh air to flow in. He intently observed Tao’s condition, and came into one conclusion.

Tao had just had a flashback.

“Breathe,” Chanyeol said, still watching his brother “Count and breathe, Zi. It’s okay. It’s just Kai, Kris, Baekhyun, and me. It’s okay,”

Tao was still trembling, and Kris held him closer, “Breathe baby. One…”

Tao whined as he struggled to breathe, but he was finally able to inhale and exhale properly again. Baekhyun dabbed his cheeks with tissue, and with Kris rubbing his hand on Tao’s back, the younger visibly calmed down.

“Its okay, I got you,” Kris whispered, “I got you, baby,”

Tao leaned on the crook of Kris’ neck and closed his eyes, letting the elder’s warmth and voice calmed him.

“Don’t do that again,” Tao whimpered, ”don’t,”

Kris held Tao closer, looking down to check on his fiancé. Tao was still trembling, and he didn’t like it.

“Okay, lets not drive so fast,” Kris said to Kai, who nodded.

The rest of their drive was only filled with the sound of Tao’s exercised breathing. Kris didn’t let go of him the whole time.

 

 

 

“So, Tao, this is your house now,” Chanyeol said, pushing the twin door open. Someone was already inside, smiling at them.

“Hello! Welcome back!”

Tao sat still in his wheel chair; his vision only registered some lights between the dark shadows in front of him.

“Hello, Tao. My name is Do Kyungsoo, you can call me D.O or Kyungsoo. I will be helping you around the house from now on,” a smaller figure approached him.

“Kyungsoo…” he repeated, “You live here too?”

“Most of the time,” Kyungsoo answered, “I will be here during the day, but I will be coming back home to sleep and such. My house is actually nearby, so I could come here anytime you need me,”

“What about Kai?”

“I won’t be staying here, but I live nearby too,” Kai smiled from behind Tao.

Tao’s eyebrow furrowed, “So… Who lives here?”

“I am,” Kris kneeled next to Tao, holding his hand, “And you will too,”

“…And Chanyeol hyung?”

“I have an apartment just fifteen minutes from here,” Chanyeol answered, “I lived with Baekhyun now, Zi,”

Tao looked like he was considering the idea, while the other five was looking at him, waiting for his reaction.

“Do you still want to stay here?” Chanyeol asked, reaching for Tao’s other hand. He could arrange something else if Tao wanted it, despite that this is the best decision they could make for now.

Tao frowned and bit his lip, “What if something happened? Are you going to be here too?”

“I am not, but Kris is. He would help you, and I will come as fast as I can when you need me too,”

“But… Hyung…”

Tao’s words disappear and he looked very disappointed, and hurt. Chanyeol felt like he was slapped with an ice block. He didn’t want Tao to feel that way. He wanted his only brother to be happy again.

“Do you want me to stay here too?”

Tao blinked, trying to see Chanyeol. He took his hands from Kris and Chanyeol, and then reached for his brother, cradling Chanyeol’s face in his hands. To him now, Chanyeol looked like a big blob of grey gas.

“Chan hyung,”

“Yes, Zi. This is me,”

Tao blinked, turning towards Kris, “Yifan-ge…”

Kris readily put his hands on the other’s knees, “I’m here,”

Tao frowned again, pressing his hands on Kris’ cheeks. He ran his fingers on Kris’ features, pressing here and there as his frown grew deeper.

Using his thumb, Kris made circular pattern on Tao’s knee, “What is it, love?”

“I… I am scared,”

Kris felt sorry. He wouldn’t want Tao to feel so, “Why would that be, xiao ai?” he asked again softly.

“I… I don’t know where I am… I don’t like being in strange place,”

“It’s okay, Tao, I’ll be here,” Kris said, now gently caressing Tao’s arm, “It’s not a strange place when there’s people you know, right?”

Tao frowned again, “All of you… are going to be here?”

“I will,” Kris said, confirming, “And everyone else will too, as often as you’d like,”

“Whenever I’m not here, I would only be a phone call away, Zi. Just call me, and I’ll be here as soon as I could,” Chanyeol said next to him.

“Us too,” Baekhyun said, referring to Kai, Kyungsoo and himself; earning hums of agreement from the two.

Tao was silent, blinking and seemingly trying to see between the shapes his eyes gave him. He finally gave a small nod, “Okay… Okay…”

Kyungsoo smiled softly, “Okay, so that’s settled. Do you want to come in and see your house?”

“My house?”

“Yep!” Kyungsoo nodded, “You and Kris’,”

Tao blinked, turning to Kris’ direction as Kai pushed his wheelchair further into the house, wanting confirmation.

“Ours,” Kris said softly, smiling towards his fiancé, walking with him inside.

Tao didn’t respond to the elder’s answer, but pointed out something else he had noticed, “And we have wheelchair ramps in the house?”

“Not really, we just have some adjustments. The ramps are temporary, so when you are healed enough, when you feel well enough, we can remove them,” Kris answered, earning a soft nod from the younger.

Tao had just passed the doorframe when there were loud voices, yelling excitedly, surprising him.

“Surprise! Welcome home!”

Victoria, Kris’ parents, Joonmyeon, Luhan, Chen, and Xiumin were there, welcoming him back home. Tao flinched at the sudden loudness, making Kris hurriedly kneel beside him again.

“It’s okay, its our family and friends,” Kris informed, holding Tao’s hand.

Tao was still frowning, looking confused as his eyes nervously searching the room, when Victoria approached the pair, “Ah sorry! Did we scare you?”

“Just because you didn’t tell him about this, or me,” Kris side-eyed his sister, “Why are you guys here and why isn’t Kyungsoo telling me?”

“Well it wouldn’t be a surprise if I tell you, right? Besides, I forbid Kyungsoo to tell you. And being such a loyal employee he is, I need to make Chen sabotage his phone just to make sure he wouldn’t contact you,” Victoria said in one breath, “So Tao, welcome home! Do you want a tour of the house? Why are your eyes like that? Have you been crying?”

At the mention of crying, Mrs. Wu came closer; a hint of worry plastered on her face, “Oh dear, what happened?”

Tao, on the other side, was overwhelmed, “I… Can I… I’m sorry, but- Is there a room where I can um- My bedroom?”

“Of course,” Kris answered immediately, “Our bedroom is actually upstairs, but I think you’ll find this room more comfortable for now,”

“Sorry, dear,” Mrs. Wu said apologetically.

“No, its… I was just… Its fine,” Tao whispered tiredly. He just wanted to get away from the crowd for a while. He’s too tired for this now; he could feel his limbs starting to give up.

“Don’t you worry about a thing, okay? Have a good rest,” the lady said, earning a flash of thankful smile on Tao’s face.

The elder then excused them from the crowd, and took over pushing Tao’s wheelchair from Kai, heading towards the said room.

It was one of their guest rooms, the ones that are available on the ground floor. Fei had had it remodeled to accommodate Tao’s current condition. She even got him a new bed, so his wheelchair and the mattress are in the same height, ensuring his comfort when moving from them.

“This is only temporary,” Kris reminded, but Tao didn’t really paid attention to his surroundings. He was tired, exhausted, from the trip back. There were so many noises around him and in his head he couldn’t hear himself thinking, and he wanted nothing but to sleep.

Tao immediately reached for the bed and prepared to lift himself up, but Kris was having none of it. The elder reached for him and lifted him up, gently letting him rest in the middle of the bed. He then pulled the blanket closer and set all the pillows around the younger.

Once he felt like Tao was settled comfortably, Kris moved his wheelchair to the foot of the bed, sitting down next to him, “Are you okay?”

No he’s not. But Tao didn’t want Kris to know that he wasn’t okay. He did all this, he tried hard, and Tao didn’t want to let Kris down. At the same time, he couldn’t lie.

But thankfully, Tao didn’t need to answer. Kris understood. He gently caressed Tao’s hair, making him focus only on the feeling of his fingers in his scalp, letting the comfort take him away from the world.

The elder watched as Tao blinked tiredly, leaning closer to kiss his forehead, “Rest, baby,” he whispered.

And slowly, Tao drifted away.

When he was sure that Tao was sleeping soundly, Kris stood and left the room quietly. Outside Tao’s room, Kai was already waiting.

“What is it, Kai?”

“Sir…”

“Kris,”

Kris,” Kai repeated.

“Yes? Is there something you’d like to say?” Kris asked the younger, earning a firm nod.

“Do you realize he had a flashback? Tao? On our way here?”

Kai’s words stunned him.

“So that’s what it was?”

“I think my speeding up triggered something in his memory. Has he ever go fast on a car, like that? Maybe with you?”

Kris took a deep breath, thinking, “No,” he finally answered, “Tao doesn’t drive, and I specifically asked his driver to always drive safely. He also didn’t travel by car often back in Austria,”

“Then whatever he was reminded of, it was about his accident,” Kai concluded, “I have seen something like this before,”

Kris frowned, “He was in a car chase?”

“I think so,” Kai replied, giving Kris a device in his hand, “Baby monitor. Hold on to the receiver and put the microphone in his room. Whatever it is, memory or not, I think it could appear to Tao every now and then, even in his sleep. Better to know, and if he needs us,”

“Good idea. Thank you,” Kris smiled gratefully, receiving the walkie-talkie look-a-like and re-entered Tao’s room. He plugged the microphone in; settling it on one of the nightstands, then exit the room again.

Kai was back in the kitchen now, helping Kyungsoo with his deviled eggs, while everyone else were still in the living room.

“Is he alright?” Baekhyun asked, concerned, “Does he need anything?”

“Just rest,” Kris answered, sitting down on their couch, “It was a pretty bad trip back,”

“I know,” Baekhyun mumbled, “But thanks for your help, Jongdae,”

“Anytime,” the said man answered, “Did you made it out fine?”

“Yeah, I tracked them,” Xiumin said, waving his phone as he glanced at the younger boy helping Kyungsoo in the kitchen, “Kai was pretty good, eh? He lost your follower at the second turn,”

“He is,” Baekhyun said, smiling towards Kai, “But Tao was frightened as hell,”

“What happened?” Chen asked, concerned, “Did I miss any reporters?”

“No, you got them all. Tao got freaked out the minute Kai accelerated,” Chanyeol sighed, “And I don’t know why. He just seemed so scared,”

“We think it’s because of his accident,” Kris said, and Kai nodded as he helped Kyungsoo to bring the said deviled eggs into the living room, “And that was why he was so scared. He didn’t know what it was about, yet he was alarmed,”

“Oh poor thing,” Victoria frowned.

“I have a contact of a really good psychotherapist, if you’d like, Yifan. Remember your cousin, Hyoyeon? She finished her specialization, got her license and her practice is really close to your office,” Mrs. Wu said, “I think she could help,”

“Of course I remembered her. She always had her hair dyed blonde its impossible to forget her. But I don’t know, Mom. Tao hasn’t even talk a lot about anything, and I don’t think Hyoyeon could do much for now,” Kris said, reaching for the tea Kyungsoo just offered him, “I guess its better to let him feel better and adjust to everything here,”

“That’s very wise,” Mr. Wu said, patting Kris’ shoulder, “Be patient,”

“Thanks, Dad,” Kris smiled softly from his cup.

Joonmyeon then took everyone’s attention, sharing a story from the office. Deciding he needed something stronger than tea, Kris stood and headed to the kitchen. He was rummaging through the counter when his sister joined him.

“Yifan?” Victoria called, entering the kitchen.

“Yep?” Kris answered, searching through the shelf.

“Can I talk to you for a minute?”

“Sure,” Kris mumbled, squinting his eyes at a suspicious tin can, wondering if it contained coffee beans. He opened it to find green grains in it. Nope. Mung bean.

He sighed, setting the tin aside, and resumed his search. Has he been away too long he forgot where is what?

“Without you turning the kitchen upside down?”

Kris halted his movement and turned to his sister with serious face, “What is it? Are you okay?”

“Ah! Yes! As a matter of fact, I am great,” Victoria smiled, but the smile disappeared in a flash, “But not that I was unaware of your situation, I mean… Its not that I had fun on your misery, no,”

Kris smiled, “Of course not. What is it you want to talk about then?”

“Yifan, I… I found someone. I think he’s the one,”

“What?” Kris was immediately alarmed, standing straight as his back stiffens.

“I met a guy, and he was so nice… I want you to meet him, before I introduce him to Dad,”

“No,” Kris said, turning back to the kitchen counter.

“Oh, Yifan please? He was so nice, and he works too, its not like he was a lazy like the others, he was nice, really! I think you could be best friends,”

“I already have one,” Kris replied nonchalantly.

“Yifan!” Victoria whined loudly, and Kris turned back to his sister. The elder was tearing up, and the sight breaks Kris’ heart.

“Would you just hear me out?” her voice shaky, “He really is nice, and you know I’d want your approval,”

Kris sighed. He had seen Victoria got her heart broken multiple times, and he admired the way she kept on lifting herself back up, and move on with her life. Victoria was such a strong woman, much like their mother. Which, made Kris want nothing but to protect her and ensure her happiness. That was why he made her promise to him to always tell him and introduce him to all of her potential boyfriends; which all had been scared off by Kris.

Ha. As if Kris would settle for anything less than great for his sister.

“Please?” Victoria asked again, a tear was already on the corner of her eye.

Kris finally stepped forward and engulfed her in a tight embrace, “This guy means that much to you?”

Victoria nodded once against Kris’ chest, “I haven’t known him for long, but I knew he was the one. I’ve been wanting to introduce him to you, but then Zitao’s accident just made it impossible to find a proper time. I thought now that he’s back home, I could,”

“I’m sorry, please don’t cry, jie…” Kris kissed the top of his sister’s head.

“Then please say yes to meeting him?” Victoria looked up to meet Kris’ eyes, “Please?”

Kris pursed his lips, “Are you sure he’s the one?”

Victoria nodded, “Yes,”

“Wait. Did he… Did he propose to you or something?!”

“No!” Victoria hit his chest, “God, no!”

Kris laughed, “Sorry, it’s just seemed like you really want me to meet him and I thought it was because he had proposed,”

“Well, not yet,” Victoria smiled back, “But I hoped he would,”

Her smile reached her eyes, and it while they looked dreamy; Kris knew that his sister was in love.

Kris sighed heavily, “Alright, if I must,”

Victoria playfully punched Kris’ arm, “At least make it sound like you mean it,”

Kris laughed again, “Of course, I will meet him, jie. As soon as I can, I got my hands full right now. Would that be alright with you?”

Victoria nodded, “Thanks, didi,”

“Anything for your happiness, jie,”

And he hugged Victoria back when she wrapped her arms tighter around him.

 

 

 

“Baek…”

Baekhyun turned to see Chanyeol joining him at the back porch of Tao and Kris’ house, his face looking like he had a bunch of things in his mind, and that it has been like that for a while.

“Hey big guy,” Baekhyun smiled, setting down the newspaper he was reading and reaching his hand to where Chanyeol was standing, “You look so tired,”

Chanyeol forced a smile, taking his fiance’s hand, “I don’t even know anymore,”

“Come, sit next to me,” Baekhyun said, pulling Chanyeol towards the outdoor couch he was sitting at. The taller dropped his weight on the fluffiness and groaned.

“I think this is the first time for a while that I actually could relax,” he mumbled, closing his eyes.

Baekhyun pulled Chanyeol’s head and rest it on his lap, running his fingers through his thicker hair, “Are you alright?”

Chanyeol sighed deeply, “I don’t know, Baek. I could tell that Tao was still very reluctant and cautious the whole time, like he had no idea what was happening and although he really did not, it didn’t help that he lost his memories… He didn’t know who to trust other than Sehun and now that Sehun is away in God knows where…”

Baekhyun bit his inner cheek, “I thought he was opening up to Kris?”

“Even I could tell that Tao was still cautious. He opened up, then something would happen and he’d back away again. You just witnessed it,” Chanyeol groaned again, sitting back up, “And speaking of which, I am actually thinking to stay here, just so he’d feel more at home,”

Baekhyun looked surprised, “And?”

“I am actually not really sure how exactly I could help him, but,” Chanyeol took both Baekhyun’s hands in his, “He didn’t remember that we had talked about all of this, Baek… I know that a part of him still believed that I was the older brother that had left him when he was little… You saw how he reacted when I told him I would be staying somewhere else. Even though he didn’t say it, I know he wanted me to stay, but he would not say it out loud it, if it would mean me leaving you,”

Baekhyun smiled softly, realizing that he was still the same, sweet and kind-hearted Zitao, the one he had grown close to prior to the accident. Zi had always paid attention to this kind of small details, like this. Such a selfless kid, so admirable. Baekhyun;s heart was warm at the thought. He too, wanted to do anything he could to make Tao feel better.

“I needed to fix this, and I couldn’t do so if we’re separated again. It’ll just make him feel like I don’t care about him, while actually I deeply do. I don’t want him to feel unwanted and abandoned ever again,” Chanyeol continued sadly.

Baekhyun understood that feeling and nodded, “Should we set up our stuff in the room next to his?” he asked.

Chanyeol blinked, even his breath sound careful, “You would do that? You would stay here with me?”

“Of course,” Baekhyun smiled as he ran his fingers through Chanyeol’s hair, “Like how you wanted to protect Zitao, I would too. He’s also my younger brother, Chanyeol. Don’t you remember?”

Chanyeol sighed in relief, smiling gratefully as he leaned on Baekhyun’s shoulder, half-hugging him, “I do now. Thank you, Baek,”

Baekhyun chuckled, holding Chanyeol’s head with both of his hands, pressing a kiss on the taller’s hair, “No, Channie, thank you, for showing me how to care and love properly. I learned a lot from you and Zitao everyday, do you know that?”

Chanyeol looked up to meet Baekhyun’s gaze, “You’re wonderful. Do you know that?”

“I do,” Baekhyun smiled softly, pressing a kiss on Chanyeol’s lips.

 

 

 

Just as the sun set, everyone took their leave, including Chanyeol and Baekyun, who decided to pack more stuff from their apartment and return the next morning. Kyungsoo left after reminding Kris that he had prepared dinner for Tao if he felt hungry when he wakes up later in the night and he already gone. He too, will return the first thing in the morning, early enough to prepare their breakfast. Kai also left after he and Chen made sure that the security camera and alarm are locked and ready. The rest of his family members left together with Joonmyeon, Luhan, and Xiumin. They promised to check on them the next day.

In a blink of an eye, there were only Tao and Kris himself in the house.

While it reminded Kris much of how it was like before Tao was involved in the accident, the house felt so empty at the same time. Before, if they were alone in the house, both would be attached together, limbs tangled, breaths shared. They would be so close, they will do everything together. Tao would play his piano and Kris would sit there next to him, watching him play, listening to the music he often creates out of thin air, just for him. Kris would make them tea, because Tao prefers it over coffee, and they would sip it together while talking about their day, cuddled up in each other’s embrace.

God knows when they’d be able to do so again.

Kris walked to Tao’s room again, checking if the younger was awakened even a little. Upon opening the door, he was greeted by the sight of sleeping Tao, not moving even an inch from his previous position. He looked peaceful, and Kris intends to keep it that way.

He smiled softly, pressing a kiss on Tao’s temple, “I got you, baby,”

 

 

 

The next morning, Kris walked into the living room absent-mindedly having just finished showering. His hair was still wet and water drips to his T-shirt, but he couldn’t care less. No one is in the house anyway. Tao must still be in his room.

He was just thinking to make a cup of coffee when he spotted Tao sitting in the back porch.

He glanced at the wall clock; the younger sure was out early. Even though it wasn’t that peculiar considering he had also fell asleep earlier the day before.

Kris watched through the window, noticing how the wind was blowing rather strongly. He started to climb the stairs and entered his and Tao’s shared room. The room was cold. Nothing had been touched since the accident. This was the first time for him to return since Tao’s admittance to the hospital.

Looking at their stuff was sure very nostalgic. They were so happy, together. How they got to this point, Kris didn’t know. But he vowed to find out, and to make them happy together again.

Slowly, he walked to the bed and sat on it, reaching for Tao’s pillow. It still smelled like him. He sighed, setting the pillow back, next to his own.

He promised to be patient, and he would live up to his words.

Kris then stood and walked towards their closet to get one of their blankets before returning downstairs without sparing another glance at their room.

He reached and opened the sliding door to the back porch, immediately greeted by the autumn wind.

The sound of the door caught Tao’s attention, “Kyungsoo?” he asked, voice gentle.

Kris smiled softly, “It’s me,”

Despite not being able to actually see who was joining him in the porch, he knew that voice by now, “Yifan gege?” Tao said softly, tilting his head.

Kris chuckled, “You got me,” he replied, “What are you doing?”

Tao blinked cheekily before turning his gaze towards the open space in front of him, where the sun was peeking from behind the clouds, “Enjoying the weather…” he answered, the corners of his lips forming a smile, “I can smell winter already,”

“Indeed… I think it’s going to come early this year,” Kris said as he pulled another chair closer to Tao and sat next to the younger, “Don’t you feel cold?”

“A little, but I like it here… One more minute and I will go back inside,”

“You don’t have to, you can stay here as long as you want. Just stay warm…” Kris said as he opened the blanket and threw it around Tao, “There you go,”

Tao raised both of his eyebrows, “What is this?”

“A blanket,” Kris answered, smiling as he trace the different patterns of the blanket, “It’s actually a quilt from your mother… She made this,”

Kris looked up to see the younger’s expression, wondering if it might have been too soon to bring up the topic again. But Tao simply looked fascinated.

“She made it?” Tao asked, reaching to touch the quilt.

“Yes,” Kris smiled, reaching for one corner and pulled it into Tao’s palm, “recognize this one?”

Tao frowned, fumbling with the fabric for a minute before smiling widely, “It’s my blankie!”

“Indeed,” Kris chuckled.

“My blue blankie!”

“You dragged it everywhere,”

“She had this with her all along?”

“When she gave this quilt to you, she said she found it under the piano after she returned from Austria the first time they took you there… I guess you forgot it back then. She sewn it together with little pieces of everything,” Kris said, reaching for a part of the quilt, “This is the front part of her apron, the one you always pulled on when she’s cooking,”

He reached for another part, “This was your and Chanyeol’s first bed sheet when you guys were babies, and this,” Kris flip it, “Was one of your father’s working shirt. Your mom said it was the one you liked to pick for him to wear,”

Tao touched every part of the blanket and started to tear up, “This… This is beautiful…”

Kris reached and wiped the tears that finally escaped Tao’s eyes, not replying.

“All this time… She made this… And she gave it to me?”

Kris hummed, “Yes, on your 20th birthday. You brought it with you when you came back here,”

Tao cradled the blanket in his hands, careful and softly, tracing the different fabrics and trying to figure out what they were.

He was silent for a while and Kris became concerned, “Are you okay?”

Tao blinked the tears away, and turned, facing the shape of Kris’ figure, “Can you… Can you tell me more?”

“What do you mean?”

“About everything? About things that I forget?”

Kris hesitated for a moment, afraid that Tao would be sad again. He searched the younger’s eyes for a second, but he couldn’t find anything other than curiosity.

“What if I tell you more about you and the house?”

Tao nodded, pulling the blanket closer to cover him. His face signing that he’s all ears, ready to listen everything Kris was going to tell him.

Kris smiled before starting, “It took us a while to find the perfect house,”

“Why?” Tao tilted his head again.

Kris reached and ran his fingers through Tao’s hair. The younger didn’t move nor responded, so Kris continued, “Someone insisted that he needed to find everything perfect,”

This time Tao giggled, “Was that person me?”

“Yep,” Kris answered, “The first house we looked at was too small, the second too big, the third has perfect size but had a swimming pool and you didn’t like it—“

“Of course, why would you need a swimming pool in your backyard? It’s supposed to be filled with flowers,”

This time it was Kris who was stunned. He stopped his movement and brought his hand back into his lap.

Tao seemed to notice the change of mood and asked, “Did I say something wrong?”

Kris smiled bitterly, a little glad that Tao couldn’t see his expression right now.

I miss you so much, xiao ai

“That was exactly what you said back then,” Kris finally said as he regained his composure.

Tao frowned again, “Really?” he stared at Kris’ lap, before bringing his eyes back to the elder’s face, “I seem to have a very good taste since forever,”

Kris laughed loudly at that, “You do,”

“And then what happened?”

“The fourth house had a traditional fireplace and it freaked you out, afraid it would cause fire despite how our realtor had explained that the house was also equipped with fire alarms,”

Tao giggled again, and to Kris it was the same, it still sounded like cotton candy.

“The fifth house was too far from where I work and you didn’t want me to drive all the way there and back everyday,”

“I was such a good fiancé!” Tao exclaimed, smiling widely, and it brought the identical gesture to Kris’ lips.

For a moment, everything seemed to be okay again. For a moment, its like they were Taozi and Yifan again, them against the world.

“You are, still,” he smiled, ruffling Tao’s hair.

“I’m trying,” he said cheerfully, “And then?”

“Well the list goes and on and on, until I finally pointed out that we should just choose a location that you like and start from there. You picked this area, and we found this house eventually. This his house number sixteen by the way,”

Tao laughed loudly the blanket almost fell off his shoulders, “It was?! Hahaha how did you keep up with me?”

It took the elder a split second to reply, “Because I love you, Zitao…”

The laughter died down, and Kris almost felt sorry for taking the smile away from Tao.

“I’m sorry,” the younger mumbled, “I didn’t mean to forget,”

“It’s okay,” Kris said, straightening his seating, fixing the blanket around the younger to make sure he really was warm enough’, “I know you didn’t mean it. It’s silly of me to say it now,”

To Kris’ surprise, Tao shook his head, “No. What I mean is… I don’t know what is going to happen, if I would get my memory back or not… I cant tell you how I feel about you now, I cannot say it back to you yet but… But thank you, for loving me all this time… I am glad to hear that… That I am loved, and by you, among other people,”

“Maybe… Maybe someday?” he continued, with a hint of hope.  I want to love you too. Do you know that?

Kris simply stared at Tao’s eyes, the ones that were searching through the figures in front of him.

“Would you not give up on me?” the younger asked again, hopeful.

Please. Dont give up on me. Dont give up on us.

Kris reached and planted a kiss on Tao’s forehead, “I would never. Not even in my worst nightmare,”

When he pulled back, the smile that graced Tao’s face gave him all the strength he needed to pull through.

They sat there, looking at each other, or it was for Kris. He knew Tao was trying to remember his facial features. His eyes flicker around Kris, and he recognize that that was how Tao was trying to see now.

“And?” Tao suddenly said.

“And what?”

“The story?”

“Oh!” Kris chuckled, “Okay. So when we found this house, it wasn’t exactly the way you wanted it to be. You renovated it partially, breaking the big wall that separated the entrance corridor and the living room, and made a space for your piano. Then you added three bedrooms on the other side of the living room so Chanyeol and Baekhyun could sleep over, and their future children too. Those are the rooms we’re using now. You also installed a room for me at the other end of the hall so I can work at home if I needed to, although every time I tried to, you always drag me out,”

Tao giggled in amusement, like he had accomplished something he had been wanting to for a long time.

Kris chuckled, “And you have your library in my working room. Sometimes we spent the afternoon reading there… Until you became restless and chose to play on your piano instead. When that happened, I would bring my book to the living room so I can read while enjoying your piano play,”

Tao giggled again, his eyes demanded Kris to tell more.

“At the corridor wall between the working room and the living room, there were pictures of us through the times, and on the opposite, a writing,”

“What did it say?”

“You must know this well,” Kris smiled, “Music...”

“Is a higher revelation than all wisdom and philosophy,” they finished together, a grin appeared on Tao’s face, a wide smile on Kris’.

“Beethoven,”

“Your favorite,”

“Is he your favorite too?”

“My favorite is everything that you play on the piano,” Kris reached and took Tao’s hand, “Beethoven, Dvorak, Tchaikovsky, Gershwin, your own composition, that rice song you play when you wait for the rice to cook…”

“I have a rice song!” Tao laughed.

“You composed it a year ago,” Kris laughed along.

“And this porch?”

“Is like your escape from your schedule,” Kris said as he looked around them, “Those orchids, we got them together at the flower market and you have been taking a good care of them. That table on the corner, you made it with Victoria jie, a project with glass and paint, you said. And in this drawer,”

Kris reached and opened the said item, pulling out a container of colorful paper, “Held your other hobby, origami papers,”

“I like them!”

“You do,” Kris chuckled, “There were jars of stars, ships, and birds all around the house,”

“Can we make one?”

“Sure,” Kris said as he opened the plastic wrapper, “Which color?”

“Red!” Tao answered firmly, “I need red for this one,”

“Why? What do you want to make?”

“A heart,” Tao said with a soft smile, folding the paper into two.

“Do you need my help?”

“Hmm… I do, if I couldn’t fold the little corners. But I think I could…”

Kris watched as Tao tore the paper into two equal parts, and handed one to him, “Hold this please,” he said.

Kris does as he said, and watched as Tao turned and twisted the paper, folding and unfolding. Occasionally, Tao would stop and ask if he fold the paper evenly, and Kris would help even it out. When one heart is done, Tao asked for the other half of the paper and did the same.

There were two identical hearts now, and Tao handed one to Kris, “For you. Would you please hold on to this one until I can sort mine out and gave you the real one?”

Kris almost forgot to breathe.

This boy and his wonders, Zitao had never ceased to awe him.

“Yes,” Kris choked, a tear fell from his eye, “Yes, gladly,”

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

___________________________________________________________________________________________________

Hello! A little present for making you guys wait so long, even though it's not double the chapter, but double the word count! ^^

Don't forget to comment, your comments keeps me going, some made my day too!

 

 

 

x